MK premier line vs Michael by MK

Sep 19, 2010
Berkeley
I really want to get a Michael Kors clutch but can't decide between Michael Kors Tonne and MbMK Berkley. They are totally different styles but I like them equally and they are practically the same size.

Does anyone on TPF have a bag/clutch from the premier line? How do you find it comparing to the Michael by Michael Kors line? Is there a HUGE difference to justify paying 3X+ more for MK Tonne?

I know someone might point out "Michael by Michael Kors" is made in China vs Michael Kors being made in Italy or America (?) but that doesn't really indicate a quality difference to me. As an example, I have Louboutin pumps "Made in Italy" and I honestly don't see the craftsmanship being light years better than my Kelsi Dagger pumps "Made in China" [please don't shoot me, it's just my opinion:sweatdrop:]. So I guess what I want to know is the leather used that different? Would the MbMK hold up as well as the premier line clutch?

Aug 10, 2012
Little World of Bags!
You know, this is just my opinion too. I am a contemporary designer gal and I looovvee MK, Coach, KS and they are all made in China and the quality is all superb. I do think most craftmenship for made in China bags is good, but the main reason I would not get a premier designer that's made in China is because the design would be easier to replicate exactly like the originals since the originals are already there. Versus one that is not made there, it would be harder and replicas would differ a bit from the original. Hence (hopefully) there are less replicas on the streets.

So in this case for me, MK is on the right track for "Made In .." vs price.

But that's just my opinion. I normally choose Michael by MK because of the price point, but if money is not an issue, pick which one calls out to you more. :smile:

Again just IMHO.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2010
Berkeley
Yeah the seams and cuts don't seem to be different in my shoes. I think the biggest difference in the price point would be the leather used? But then again, I am not sure if the slightly better leather deserves such a huge difference in cost.

I think I may just get the Michael by Michael Kors Berkley clutch instead. I asked my mom and my friends and they advised I could get two of these instead of one Michael Kors premier line clutch :smile:

You know, this is just my opinion too. I am a contemporary designer gal and I looovvee MK, Coach, KS and they are all made in China and the quality is all superb. I do think most craftmenship for made in China bags is good, but the main reason I would not get a premier designer that's made in China is because the design would be easier to replicate exactly like the originals since the originals are already there. Versus one that is not made there, it would be harder and replicas would differ a bit from the original. Hence (hopefully) there are less replicas on the streets.

So in this case for me, MK is on the right track for "Made In .." vs price.

But that's just my opinion. I normally choose Michael by MK because of the price point, but if money is not an issue, pick which one calls out to you more. :smile:

Again just IMHO.