MJ Chat Thread

Bit underwhelmed tbh. I'm more excited by this little blurb (attached below) than I am for any of the bags. But I want these reeditions to be a success so that they'll come out with more, in styles that I really miss, or ones I never got to try. Some of his earlier designs from 1981/ 80s in general would be very exciting to own!!!

Mostly I just want a Stam comeback eventually, maybe with some fun tweaks (different-shaped closures? swirly quilting instead of the classic squares? inverted shape? idk). Maybe for its 20th anniversary they'll bring it back. I'm definitely very biased though lol.

I'm going to wear one of my Stams out to dinner tomorrow and maybe drop by the mall to see if any of these new bags are there in person. The one that I'd be most tempted to get is the Lil Ukita since it looks nice and practical, though I wish there were an option with silver hardware, like a navy blue or deep green, or even a purple. Some more eye-catching colors could've helped win over some people who weren't drawn in by the nostalgia factor. I think these were an interesting choice to kick off the archive collection with. I would be curious as to how they decided on these particular styles/colors... I guess their current designs, the Tote Bag and the Snapshot, are fairly structured and boxy, with lots of color options, so maybe they wanted some more rounded, smooshy, classic colors to balance things out?

(Lol it's 4:30am here, sorry for my little ramble.)

20220809_MARCHIVES_CONTENTSLOT1.jpeg

Reactions: JVSXOXO
So what are everyone’s thoughts on these re-editions? I like the nostalgic feel and the leather looks so mushy and squeezable, but I’m not tempted to buy anything.
View attachment 5586804
Eh. I love my MbMJ bags but I’m a bit underwhelmed by these. Was bummed to see the plain black lining. Part of the fun was the scrambled logo lining. Will be curious to see what they bring out from further back in the archives.

So what are everyone’s thoughts on these re-editions? I like the nostalgic feel and the leather looks so mushy and squeezable, but I’m not tempted to buy anything.
View attachment 5586804
I like them. I never really got into the MbyMJ back in the day, because I was so into the collection bags. I have always been tempted by the Hillier. I think it’s a nice casual look. I do kind of like the smaller bags. I have been wanting something to take with me to concerts or places where a larger bag is not practical. I was looking at a Chloe mini Marcie, but maybe one of these would work well. I need to see them in person. There are a lot of vintage Hillier Hobos online for sale, but this bag was often faked and I am not an expert on the MbyMJ line. They are great prices, but I don’t trust myself to spot a fake.

It sounds like this first drop is receiving a lukewarm reception so far.

I feel the same. I was really excited about the Natasha but wanted the larger size.
I think the Natasha is my favorite of these four. I can understand wanting a bigger size, although I tend to carry smaller bags.
Bit underwhelmed tbh. I'm more excited by this little blurb (attached below) than I am for any of the bags. But I want these reeditions to be a success so that they'll come out with more, in styles that I really miss, or ones I never got to try. Some of his earlier designs from 1981/ 80s in general would be very exciting to own!!!

Mostly I just want a Stam comeback eventually, maybe with some fun tweaks (different-shaped closures? swirly quilting instead of the classic squares? inverted shape? idk). Maybe for its 20th anniversary they'll bring it back. I'm definitely very biased though lol.

I'm going to wear one of my Stams out to dinner tomorrow and maybe drop by the mall to see if any of these new bags are there in person. The one that I'd be most tempted to get is the Lil Ukita since it looks nice and practical, though I wish there were an option with silver hardware, like a navy blue or deep green, or even a purple. Some more eye-catching colors could've helped win over some people who weren't drawn in by the nostalgia factor. I think these were an interesting choice to kick off the archive collection with. I would be curious as to how they decided on these particular styles/colors... I guess their current designs, the Tote Bag and the Snapshot, are fairly structured and boxy, with lots of color options, so maybe they wanted some more rounded, smooshy, classic colors to balance things out?

(Lol it's 4:30am here, sorry for my little ramble.)

View attachment 5586981
It would be interesting to see if the Stan bag finds its way back into the spotlight. Please do share if you come across any of these in person! And I agree about wanting silver hardware - it’s always a nice to have options.
I think I would get a small Natasha if the leather is really good in person.
I wish I were near a store to check them out. I do most of my shopping online and nothing beats getting to feel and try a bag on in person.
I liked the wallets with the nameplate on them back in the day
I loved them as well! Although now I carry little ID wallets to fit in my small bags.
I like them. I never really got into the MbyMJ back in the day, because I was so into the collection bags. I have always been tempted by the Hillier. I think it’s a nice casual look. I do kind of like the smaller bags. I have been wanting something to take with me to concerts or places where a larger bag is not practical. I was looking at a Chloe mini Marcie, but maybe one of these would work well. I need to see them in person. There are a lot of vintage Hillier Hobos online for sale, but this bag was often faked and I am not an expert on the MbyMJ line. They are great prices, but I don’t trust myself to spot a fake.
I have also been eyeing the Mini Marcie! It really is gorgeous and I’ve always heard good things about Chloe’s leather quality. But you certainly can’t beat the prices of these MJ bags, especially if you’re just looking for something for more low key occasions. Please do share if you get to see them in person!