Miu Miu Madras

youseeno

Mar 8, 2012
I want to start a thread for Madras because there are a few for bow bag already and I think Madras is another classic for miumiu.

I recently bought two Madras to consider and they will arrive on Thursday. IN the mean time, can any miu miu love generously share their MAdras collection? Model pics would be perfect!

I love the Madras! It is my fav miu miu range! I have 2 Madras bags. Latest addition purchased a couple of days ago from Milan store for 990 euro before vat refund.
Can someone tell me the name of this style? It has top handle and detachable shoulder strap.

Attachments

• 1364889393705.jpg
    1364889393705.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,947
I love the Madras! It is my fav miu miu range! I have 2 Madras bags. Latest addition purchased a couple of days ago from Milan store for 990 euro before vat refund.
Can someone tell me the name of this style? It has top handle and detachable shoulder strap.

I am crazy in love with Madras too...I think it is called the bauletto...has a zip top, but looks like it is a doctor frame...structured, but feminine and adorable too...will have to see if I can find it online...Saw it at Saks, and I haven't stopped thinking about it...

Okay. I have to share my scary experience with Madras. I must think I am the only one since all the reviews on Madras (limited) are all 'positive' about how durable madras is. I think otherwise. I bought the Miu miu madras bauletto doctor bag in Rosa (light pink) just last month. My first bag on the first night of bringing it out for night out, it had a small circle stain on the handle. I dont know what it was. Maybe alcohol (highly impossible given how careful I am) Maybe water (though it's treated right? it should evaporate)? IDK. But that wasn't the issue, it could have been my fault. So I used apple conditioner to clean it. Guess what? The colour pink came off! It just rubbed of! Not even 'lifted', but rubbed off. And underneath looks like beige, cream white. So I am like, isn't this bag dyed?? It looks like they just 'painted' dye over and didn't really dye it. So I went back and exchanged for another new one the same design. The next one had a leather torn off on the strap I didn't notice. Huh?? How is that possible right? Scratches I understand, leather part torn off?? I initially bought Madras because I thought it was more durable than Nappa lambskin, but the fact apple condtioner can remove the colour really scares me. I mean I use it on other leathers even lambskin with no problem whatsoever! Maybe its because my bag is in Rosa (light pink) hence lighter colours are more troublesome. I went back for a third time and I really gotta hand it to the Miu miu stuff in Singapore. They handled me like a VIP with grace and allowed for a final and third exchange (although their policy only states once). But still.... a little disappointed. On a positive note though, it smells lovely, looks lovely, feels lovely, just not as 'durable' as I thought. And I'm an OCD freak so I always take care of my bags. Though, if I had to choose again, I'd still buy madras as the smell is too hard to resist.

Now, as for wear and tear. This bag WILL sag, and WILL wrinkle in the long run if you don't take care of it. My advise is condition it 2-3 times using a light conditioner (apple) before you use it. That will make it flexible enough to bend so that it will prevent wrinkles. Keep it in the stuffing they provide to prevent wrinkles. That is if you want it to look beautiful even after 1-2 years.

Last edited:
Now, as for wear and tear. This bag WILL sag, and WILL wrinkle in the long run if you don't take care of it. My advise is condition it 2-3 times using a light conditioner (apple) before you use it. That will make it flexible enough to bend so that it will prevent wrinkles. Keep it in the stuffing they provide to prevent wrinkles. That is if you want it to look beautiful even after 1-2 years.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Does seem quite strange that it took three exchanges until you found one in perfect form.

I own a Madras Bauletto as well and it is still in amazing condition [no leather conditioner applied at all].

Most bags will eventually sag on the bottom. Not much you can do about it. Although, I've seen in other forums (Celine and Saint Laurent) have placed custom bag fittings/rectangular firm cutouts for the bottom so you'll have a structured shaped bag. Best to have a look around if you're looking to have those added :smile:.

Okay. I have to share my scary experience with Madras. I must think I am the only one since all the reviews on Madras (limited) are all 'positive' about how durable madras is. I think otherwise. I bought the Miu miu madras bauletto doctor bag in Rosa (light pink) just last month. My first bag on the first night of bringing it out for night out, it had a small circle stain on the handle. I dont know what it was. Maybe alcohol (highly impossible given how careful I am) Maybe water (though it's treated right? it should evaporate)? IDK. But that wasn't the issue, it could have been my fault. So I used apple conditioner to clean it. Guess what? The colour pink came off! It just rubbed of! Not even 'lifted', but rubbed off. And underneath looks like beige, cream white. So I am like, isn't this bag dyed?? It looks like they just 'painted' dye over and didn't really dye it. So I went back and exchanged for another new one the same design. The next one had a leather torn off on the strap I didn't notice. Huh?? How is that possible right? Scratches I understand, leather part torn off?? I initially bought Madras because I thought it was more durable than Nappa lambskin, but the fact apple condtioner can remove the colour really scares me. I mean I use it on other leathers even lambskin with no problem whatsoever! Maybe its because my bag is in Rosa (light pink) hence lighter colours are more troublesome. I went back for a third time and I really gotta hand it to the Miu miu stuff in Singapore. They handled me like a VIP with grace and allowed for a final and third exchange (although their policy only states once). But still.... a little disappointed. On a positive note though, it smells lovely, looks lovely, feels lovely, just not as 'durable' as I thought. And I'm an OCD freak so I always take care of my bags. Though, if I had to choose again, I'd still buy madras as the smell is too hard to resist.

I'm just about to buy a Madras in black. Can I see pics of your tote, and the age? I just want to know what I'm getting myself into. ^^;

I'm just about to buy a Madras in black. Can I see pics of your tote, and the age? I just want to know what I'm getting myself into. ^^;

Hi, I would love to help but like I said after I exchanged it 3 times, I didn't dare to use it anymore much so its been sitting in my closet since then. The 2nd time I exchanged it, I got a display piece, and that was a good gauge for me on how it would age. The display piece I got was slightly dry, wrinkled easily on the parts where it would 'fold'. So when I exchanged it for the 3rd time I made sure I got a new piece. It's hard to explain. I've been searching preloved sites for madras and only the light colours have problems like easily showing dirt and wrinkles (if it's constantly pressed against your body etc). But otherwise if you are considering the black colour I would think it's a rather care-free bag since it's black. I always moisturize with apple conditioner simply because I do not like the look of wrinkles on Madras leather. I noticed the Madra darker colours like brown and black have a higher 'gloss' to it, not sure why but it seems more durable.

Hi, I would love to help but like I said after I exchanged it 3 times, I didn't dare to use it anymore much so its been sitting in my closet since then. The 2nd time I exchanged it, I got a display piece, and that was a good gauge for me on how it would age. The display piece I got was slightly dry, wrinkled easily on the parts where it would 'fold'. So when I exchanged it for the 3rd time I made sure I got a new piece. It's hard to explain. I've been searching preloved sites for madras and only the light colours have problems like easily showing dirt and wrinkles (if it's constantly pressed against your body etc). But otherwise if you are considering the black colour I would think it's a rather care-free bag since it's black. I always moisturize with apple conditioner simply because I do not like the look of wrinkles on Madras leather. I noticed the Madra darker colours like brown and black have a higher 'gloss' to it, not sure why but it seems more durable.
Thanks for the reply! Actually what you said was really helpful, even though it was a cautionary tale, it makd me feel better about buying it in black now. :biggrin:

I'm thinking about getting a Madras bag... How does the leather hold up? TIA!
I have 3 miu mius, 2 bows and my latest was the madras. I bought it just about 10 months ago and the it has been sent for repair for the 2nd time now as the lock has broken again!!! The first time was within the first month. Overall, not impressed!