Mistaken Identity - Dateline

candac3mari3

C'est la vie!
O.G.
Sep 20, 2007
Has anyone been following this story, about the 2 Taylor University Students mistaken for each other? It was on the Today Show twice this week and they did a 2 hour Dateline special on it.

I went to summer camp with Laura VanRyn and grew up knowing their family.
It's devistating the whole story, I'm watching this show and bawling my eyes out.

Which brings me to ask... What would you do in a situation like this? It's nothing I can even imagine thinking you're daughter is dead or alive and in 5 weeks to find out the complete opposite.

Part of the article....

"Dateline will air a two-hour "Mistaken Identity" special beginning Friday, March 28, at 9 p.m.

Whitney Cerak carries the events she cannot remember with her constantly, a story of terrible tragedy and great triumph, an experience that has infused her life with purpose and faith.

“It’s going to be with me for the rest of my life,” says the young woman who, in a terrible case of mistaken identity, was thought to be dead for five long weeks in the spring of 2006. “I think about it every day.”

She’s at peace now, thankful for the gift of life that has been given her."

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/23824767/

(if this should belong somewhere else on TPF please move it)

I'm gonna watch and come back and comment after I watch it. It'll be on in a half hour...... Thanks for the reminder....I do enjoy watching Dateline and 48 Hour mystery.

I saw this!!

I don't know what I would do...such a CRAZY situation.

My prayers are with both families and all involved...probably something that will be a constant struggle their whole lives.

I think all the families had a lot of faith and class. I think a lot of other people in the same situation would have a lot more hate and legal battles taking place. These people seem so strong and forgiving for people who have been through so much.

I would definately recommend watching this show or reading their book, it really changes your outlook on a lot. It's an unthinkable story. way stranger than fiction.

^ I Tivoed that Dateline special that was on tonight. I was going to watch it later tonight but I wasnt in the mood to cryyyy. SO SO sad, I can't even imagine what those poor famalies went through. Its just awful. :crybaby:

Ack...I'm so mad at myself...I forgot about watching Dateline. I'm very confused by this story. How is it possible the family didn't know she wasn't their daughter there in the hospital? I guess I'll go read the articles online...

Ack...I'm so mad at myself...I forgot about watching Dateline. I'm very confused by this story. How is it possible the family didn't know she wasn't their daughter there in the hospital? I guess I'll go read the articles online...

they had quite a few similarities in looks, and the doctors told them to expect her not to look like herself since she was so swollen, had tubes running everywhere and was thrown over 50 feet from the vehicle.
And I guess when they were in such a devistating situation they just listened to what the doctors had said.