Missoni sizing...how does it run?

EmilyK

Somewhat in control
Jan 7, 2007
I'm looking at Missoni dresses on eBay (keeping an eye on authenticity, don't worry!) and am wondering how they run...

I'm usually a 2 or a 4, size small. Bust is 34C, shoulders on the broader size, 25 inch waist, 36 inch hips.

All my DFV dresses are 2's, although I'd imagine I could take a 4 in them as well as they're none too big. None of them are the wrap dresses though, these are the tank style ones.

My Theory dresses are 4's mostly (because of the bust).

Should I go for a 38 or a 40 in Missoni? Also, is M Missoni different from Missoni? Is sizing different?

Also, some listings say a 38 is a 2, others say a 38 is a 4. Some say 40 is a 4, others say 40 is a 6. What gives? lol

thanks! :heart:

i wear a 4 in DvF and Theory (i'm a B cup, similar measurements as yours) and i wear have a couple of M Missoni pieces in size 40. the fabric has a good amount of give, so i can see why the sizing seems all over the place, but i think it really depends on the individual piece and fit. the dresses i have are meant to be worn loose, so the sizing didn't matter as much, and i can see how a 38 would have been fine for me too.

to be honest, i would definitely try some missoni on in person before making a purchase on ebay...at least one or two pieces so you familiarize yourself with the sizing. happy ebaying! :smile:

I would want to try it on first. I have a sz 38 sweater that's fine but I tried on a sz 40 dress the other day that was too small???? It is kind of all over the place.

I would say ... depends on the fabric and the cut. If it's knit and the cut is boxier, less fitted, a 38 or 40 would work. If it's a knit and fitted, then a 40. If it's silk, then probably a 40.

Thanks guys. I know I should try one on first, but the PERFECT missoni dress is on eBay and it's ending today before I have time to get to a store that sells it.

I have a dress from Missoni Sports which is 40 and fits good. For reference I am 1.58 m, shoulder also on the broader side, around 45 kg and am 75B.

I usually wear 32-34. 40 is italian for 36, so I think their dresses are smaller than usual. Hope that can give you a little impression.

I recommend 40. Missoni runs either true to size or small. If you fit a size 4 DVF, I definitely would go for 40. I wear a size 2 DVF and the 38 is just right, if not a tiny bit snug.

I was wondering if you purchased the dress and how the fit was? I am
looking at a dress as well. I wear a 6 and possibly an 8 in DVF depending on the dress. I am almost 5'8 and am slim. would a 42 work in M Missoni or better go with the 44? I am looking at a sleeveless wrap dress with a fuller skirt. Please help!!

IMO it's easy to wear Missoni pieces that are slightly too big so I would lean toward the larger size. I'm usually a 36 or 38 in Missoni tops and skirts but when I find something on sale that I absolutely love and can only find it in a 40 I just get it, it really doesn't look bad to be a size too large, the fabric and patterns etc. make up for it I think but, it does depend on the style I suppose.....