MISSING ITEM WITH TRADE-IN PROGRAM

G.Allyn

O.G.
Dec 12, 2013
I posted recently about buying a travel bag as a gift for a young woman heading off to university. A few responded with great suggestions on which colors worked best and watching out for strap styles. Thanks to all who responded.

Anyway, I went through my closet and found a black cabriolet weekender I had used only one time. To keep the cost of the gift down, I decided to send the bag off for the trade-in program. This is something I did a few years back, but have not tried for awhile.

At the last minute I decided to keep the strap. I figured the bag is destroyed and it would not make any difference to Dooney and Bourke. Anyway, my letter came from D&B stating, "REC'D W/O STRAP". I was offered a credit of $132.50.

I was wondering if anyone had experienced a reduced credit from D&B for an item missing during a trade-in. I am not complaining; I was simply surprised. Maybe, I am forgetting the original price of the weekender bag. I thought I paid about $298.00, but I may be mistaken. I guess keeping the strap may have cost me a few trade-in dollars. Stupid me!

I posted recently about buying a travel bag as a gift for a young woman heading off to university. A few responded with great suggestions on which colors worked best and watching out for strap styles. Thanks to all who responded.

Anyway, I went through my closet and found a black cabriolet weekender I had used only one time. To keep the cost of the gift down, I decided to send the bag off for the trade-in program. This is something I did a few years back, but have not tried for awhile.

At the last minute I decided to keep the strap. I figured the bag is destroyed and it would not make any difference to Dooney and Bourke. Anyway, my letter came from D&B stating, "REC'D W/O STRAP". I was offered a credit of $132.50.

I was wondering if anyone had experienced a reduced credit from D&B for an item missing during a trade-in. I am not complaining; I was simply surprised. Maybe, I am forgetting the original price of the weekender bag. I thought I paid about $298.00, but I may be mistaken. I guess keeping the strap may have cost me a few trade-in dollars. Stupid me!

There is a woman who posts on YouTube about her Dooney collection and not too long ago she posted a video about how she did the same thing, took off the strap and kept it and then sent in the rest of the bag for a trade-in. I think Dooney sent the whole bag back to her twice or something without issuing a credit for trade--so you may have gotten lucky with them keeping the bag and issuing you a partial!

There is a woman who posts on YouTube about her Dooney collection and not too long ago she posted a video about how she did the same thing, took off the strap and kept it and then sent in the rest of the bag for a trade-in. I think Dooney sent the whole bag back to her twice or something without issuing a credit for trade--so you may have gotten lucky with them keeping the bag and issuing you a partial!
Woah! That is good to know. I traded in a QVC D&B that had included accessories and kept the accessories because I, too, thought if D&B is going to destroy the bag then they would not care about the accessories. (I am still using the accessories today, in fact.) I was not penalized but will make sure to include them from now on. Thank you for the tip, DaffodilDuck. And I am sorry this happened, G.Allyn.

Reactions: DaffodilDuck
Woah! That is good to know. I traded in a QVC D&B that had included accessories and kept the accessories because I, too, thought if D&B is going to destroy the bag then they would not care about the accessories. (I am still using the accessories today, in fact.) I was not penalized but will make sure to include them from now on. Thank you for the tip, DaffodilDuck. And I am sorry this happened, G.Allyn.

You're welcome! That's a good point about QVC bags. Would Dooney even expect you to send accessories given that most bags they sell in various venues not come with extras?
Also. I don't think they have a consistent policy or if they do I have never heard others talk about it. It might just be chance/luck why some ar penalized and not others.