Mismatched hardware on Boy Bag

Marilla

O.G.
Jul 22, 2012
I’ve just got a preloved chevron mix boy in cream which is authentic. It’s beautiful but I’m a bit confused by the hardware. It’s shiny gold other than the chain which is a brushed antique gold. At first I thought the chain had tarnished but someone has said that some of the chevron mix bags were made with mixed hardware. Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks

E7D5E48D-0D20-4B13-A86F-604839FAF347.jpeg

A1A57E11-E5C1-4C15-95E1-233A3200D6FC.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: bigverne28
I do not remember right now if this particular boy had different HW, but what I can tell you is the chain is aged gold, which definitely can be prone to losing color and having silver bits show through. Although it looks like a lot on this particular chain. That lock is a tarnished oxidized mess. Was the bag from a humid climate?

I do not remember right now if this particular boy had different HW, but what I can tell you is the chain is aged gold, which definitely can be prone to losing color and having silver bits show through. Although it looks like a lot on this particular chain. That lock is a tarnished oxidized mess. Was the bag from a humid climate?
No the bag was from Scotland! More likely damp than humid! It looks worse in the photos than in real life, but the lock is going to be replated at the spa. Just need to decide what to do with the strap. Whether to just replate in shiny gold to match the lock.

my personal preference would be to ask spa to refinish to allow all hardware to be the same aged gold.
Can they turn shiny gold to aged? I too would prefer it all aged gold than shiny.
Any idea why Chanel would produce a bag with two different types of hardware? I’ve since spoken to a reputable seller who said she’s had a couple of boys come in with a mixture of aged and shiny gold. Seems odd!

Reactions: 880
I can imagine KL rubbing his hands gleefully and saying, switch the hardware so it doesn’t match to make it look less pristine (kind of how Jane Birkin or the Olsen twins are chic and carry used and abused bags). . .

the answer is yes they probably can. Will they? no idea. It looks deliberately done (Which is consistent with the reseller stating that she’s seen a few like this.

note: I do have to say, every time I come back to your bag pic, I like the rock and roll sensibility of leaving it a tarnished mess (to mangle a quote from a TPFer above). IMO it kind of has a F—- you alto that would look great with an old Chanel jacket, beat up denim jeans and boots. . . Or if you can do it crossbody, a moto jacket, Denim skirt and boots.

Last edited:
I can imagine KL rubbing his hands gleefully and saying, switch the hardware so it doesn’t match to make it look less pristine (kind of how Jane Birkin or the Olsen twins are chic and carry used and abused bags). . .

the answer is yes they probably can. Will they? no idea. It looks deliberately done (Which is consistent with the reseller stating that she’s seen a few like this.

note: I do have to say, every time I come back to your bag pic, I like the rock and roll sensibility of leaving it a tarnished mess (to mangle a quote from a TPFer above). IMO it kind of has a F—- you alto that would look great with an old Chanel jacket, beat up denim jeans and boots. . . Or if you can do it crossbody, a moto jacket, Denim skirt and boots.
OMG - I love you for saying that! That’s exactly what I thought! I almost like the oxidisation on the lock because it looks like ‘Chanel rebel’ There’s this need to make everything Chanel pristine but I actually like that it now breaks the stereotype. That’s why crumpled calf leather on the reissue excites me too - I’m such a loser lol.
Maybe I’ll hold off restoring for a while and enjoy it’s quirkiness. So glad someone else said it - I was fighting the urge to leave it as it is anyway haha

• Love
Reactions: 880
Hi there .. I got my boy in 2016, black Lambskin with aged gold hardware..
The color of the clasp and chain was same when I got it but now, the hardware on the chain has oxidized and the one on the bag itself has not... so both have become different from each other.
I think it’s a quality issue.. took it to Chanel and they offered to send the bag to Paris to replace the chain on the strap for free.. it will take 3 to 4 months to get it back.. I’m not sending it yet because I might to be moving from where I live..
To be honest.. when I wear the bag, the difference is not that visible but I’m not happy with the quality of the hardware on these bags that cost so much !

Reactions: Marilla and 880
Oh wow yes this looks like mine! The rest of the bag has oxidised a bit but in a different way to the strap. Maybe I’ll take mine into Chanel and show them although as I’m not the original owner I guess I’d have to pay to have it put right. Strange that mine is 2016 too. I didn’t pay a huge amount for my bag as it was preloved and a very good price but I agree the retail price is too high for quality issues - but sadly so many of these high end brands are going the same way with QC now :sad:

Reactions: Shopaholic 1705