Misinformed friend: "Authentic Chanel made in China"

http://www.rai.it/dl/RaiTV/programmi/media/ContentItem-921b6b62-5866-459a-9646-9b26cea6e134.html

See it,if you don't understand italian you can see only the video,but it shows chanel..:crybaby::crybaby:
It talks about an investigation of the 2008 in Italy,the police discovered a lot of illegal industries with chinese people who produced real bags in Italy...and the brands knew it..
but they pay with cash so the police can't report,chinese people said that for a bag they were paid 30 euro but after the brand selled it for 950 euros....workers were paid 120 euros a week and live on the floor of the industry,they eat one time a day and work 9-14 hours,they don't pay taxes.We don't know how resolve the situation because italian's workforce is more expensive than chinese (we want more than 120 euro a week,we sleep in a bed in our house..we eat and pay taxes) and brands want chineses because they want to earn more money....we can only loose job..so the bag is made in Italy but the workers are chinese slaves.If we close the industry the next day it will reborn in another garage...
look the real chanel from 00:28:00

You know what it all comes down to is, MONEY!

All these high end designers have worked out if their bags are $5,000 (for instance), you may only be able to afford 1 bag every 5 years. They then don't make enough money off you so they want you to buy a bag every 2 years.

Make the quality less & less over time so no one really notices, ship manufacturing to China or India so labour will cost less & BINGO! the designers are lining their pockets.

I have just heard that most designers in the GFC has boosted profits, hmmm makes you wonder.

But if you notice they clearly state examples with lv, but just say Chanel in passing, so they have no actual proof, if it was true more sources would have it. Not only this one... Just my 2 cents

But if you notice they clearly state examples with lv, but just say Chanel in passing, so they have no actual proof, if it was true more sources would have it. Not only this one... Just my 2 cents

I only have anecdotal evidence from my job experience with supply chain management, but most supply chains go through China and other emerging markets at this point. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. A well managed supply chain with a global footprint doesn't have to be a bad thing at all. But I think can see what Chanel's cost cutting efforts have resulted in, w/r/t declining quality in the product.

Didn't Apple say they couldn't repatriate manufacturing of the iPhone today, because the technical expertise is no longer available in the US? Just an example of where high quality products come out of emerging markets. I think most folks here are reacting to the quality and lower cost manufacturing while the sales prices skyrocket. Just my two.

Reactions: lovieluvslux
there is a big difference between Apple which clearly state made in china and Chanel which says Made in Italy/France. I said it in a different thread before, at least let me decide whether I want to buy your product or not, by giving me full disclosure. the immigrant labour thing has been going on forever, Prada is well known for this.

there is a big difference between Apple which clearly state made in china and Chanel which says Made in Italy/France. I said it in a different thread before, at least let me decide whether I want to buy your product or not, by giving me full disclosure. the immigrant labour thing has been going on forever, Prada is well known for this.

I had no idea about Prada doing this. Thank you for info

Totally fair. I am all for transparency too. I am just saying I am more worried about poor quality than location. They are not perfectly correlated at this point.

Despite that i's an older article, still an interesting read.
My 2 cents - I don't really care where my items are made or assembled. I care that it is done right, under acceptable working conditions, and that the quality and aftercare is good.
To me simply 'made in France' or 'made in Italy' does not mean something's guaranteed good, as not everything from there is so. Same for China or other emerging countries, sure a lot of products manufactured there are cheap and meant for very fast moving consumption, but they can also produce really good items as well.
So if Chanel one day says they're shifting towards production of parts in China - fine, as long as they do a good job.

dana thomas does point out that many european brands do manufacture their products in china but put the "finishing" touches in europe to be able to place the "made in" tag, she didn't name names but i think prada is one of those brands
i also remember reading (i think it was in "camorra", the book about the napoli mafia) about italian leather craftmen training chinese workers in italy, those workers would then be sent to work at the lowest wages in european factories or back to china to work in a factory teaching other workers, then the brand does not have to pay extra for tradition and expertise
many of the real products that are sold below cost could be part of a calculated over supply, brand x pays $$$ to have a certain number of bags, factory y supplies the number plus an undeclared number of extras that the owner of the factory can then sell directly and make a profit
i used to work for a luxury brand that claimed their shoes and bags were hand made, when i questioned the reality of it ( many international stores and the amount of product we received would make it impossible)i was told i might have heard wrongly, they were hand stitched but, none the less, SAs were encouraged to tell customers that handbags and shoes were handmade

I am starting to believe this. The reason I believe this is because a friend of mine just got a Chanel which she claims is fake and we compared it to the one in the Chanel store which retailed for over $4000 and we were shocked that the fake one was identical to the the real one. Another friend has a fake one and we also compared it to the real version as well and lets say the fake version was better quality then the real version and this was a $6000 bag compared to the fake price she paid $400. It was so good we couldn't even tell them apart. Maybe there was a few things off but it was unrecognizable. This alone leads me to believe that it could be highly possible that Chanel is actually made in China and both the fake and real versions are both being manufactured in the same place. This alone makes you not want to justifying in paying thousands of dollars for a real retail bag when the fake is almost near identical or identical if not better than the actual real in store retail version.

I am starting to believe this. The reason I believe this is because a friend of mine just got a Chanel which she claims is fake and we compared it to the one in the Chanel store which retailed for over $4000 and we were shocked that the fake one was identical to the the real one. Another friend has a fake one and we also compared it to the real version as well and lets say the fake version was better quality then the real version and this was a $6000 bag compared to the fake price she paid $400. It was so good we couldn't even tell them apart. Maybe there was a few things off but it was unrecognizable. This alone leads me to believe that it could be highly possible that Chanel is actually made in China and both the fake and real versions are both being manufactured in the same place. This alone makes you not want to justifying in paying thousands of dollars for a real retail bag when the fake is almost near identical or identical if not better than the actual real in store retail version.
Hi! Do you have Any photos please?