MINKIE CHAT THREAD ..... Let's chat! (4)

Esquared72

Adrift and At Peace
O.G.
Feb 16, 2009
New chat thread! Continued from here:

http://forum.purseblog.com/rebecca-minkoff/minkie-chat-thread-lets-chat-3-a-634982.html

I'm giving myself a challenge. I've put on some extra pounds in the last 6 months or so and have had such a hard time sticking to the habits I know I need to in order to get them off.

Sooo...I'm tempting myself with a reward on the back-end. If I can get off the 30 pounds I'd like to lose, I can buy myself a goodie. What I'd really like is a nice, high-end wallet - something great quality that will last for years. Maybe something like a Ferragamo continental wallet. I'm already motivated for a morning run tomorrow!

Anyone tried a plan like this before to achieve a goal? Did it work?

I'll keep ya posted on my progress!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Shelby33 and JenJBS
We have been without power for 3 days now. It's very frustrating & boring. The temps reached 100 degrees the last two days, so we have had to spend time in the basement with the cats to cool them off. It's amazing how much you need power for! We have quite the amount of laundry piling up, etc :-/

I'm giving myself a challenge. I've put on some extra pounds in the last 6 months or so and have had such a hard time sticking to the habits I know I need to in order to get them off.

Sooo...I'm tempting myself with a reward on the back-end. If I can get off the 30 pounds I'd like to lose, I can buy myself a goodie. What I'd really like is a nice, high-end wallet - something great quality that will last for years. Maybe something like a Ferragamo continental wallet. I'm already motivated for a morning run tomorrow!

Yes, this is a great way to lose weight! I lost 20 lbs in 3 months with diet and exercise (less caloric intake though of the same foods, just less of it and brisk walking 1-2 miles a day)... And my reward awaits me at the end of July. Something quite similar to your HG! Another 10 lbs I will reach my ideal weight, at which point I will treat myself to another nice bag!

This worked for me because I was realistic with myself... I hate running and I accept my new eating habits as a new way of life not merely a diet, so it's not temporary...I have to agree with Kate Moss, 'Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels'

I think I had the whole food as treat or comfort all wrong. At the end of a diet I used to treat myself to some extra dessert or when I'm down I turned to food for comfort... All a no no. Food is for nourishment, and fine food is for treating the senses, not for enduring the loss of food for a little while, self torture. Dieting or my new way of life is not temporary torture but for the overall good of my body and mind.... is how I see it! How sweet the victory at the end of this fruitful journey with a beautiful treat that holds my life's belongings!

I wish you luck in your journey and I hope you get your Ferragamo in the best of health!

Crazy4Handbags said:
Yes, this is a great way to lose weight! I lost 20 lbs in 3 months with diet and exercise (less caloric intake though of the same foods, just less of it and brisk walking 1-2 miles a day)... And my reward awaits me at the end of July. Something quite similar to your HG! Another 10 lbs I will reach my ideal weight, at which point I will treat myself to another nice bag!

This worked for me because I was realistic with myself... I hate running and I accept my new eating habits as a new way of life not merely a diet, so it's not temporary...I have to agree with Kate Moss, 'Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels'

I think I had the whole food as treat or comfort all wrong. At the end of a diet I used to treat myself to some extra dessert or when I'm down I turned to food for comfort... All a no no. Food is for nourishment, and fine food is for treating the senses, not for enduring the loss of food for a little while, self torture. Dieting or my new way of life is not temporary torture but for the overall good of my body and mind.... is how I see it! How sweet the victory at the end of this fruitful journey with a beautiful treat that holds my life's belongings!

I wish you luck in your journey and I hope you get your Ferragamo in the best of health!

Thanks, C4H! I actually lost a slew of weight a couple of years ago, using that mentality. But it's been creeping back on over the last 6 months when I backslid to stinkin' thinkin'. Lots of stress and I turned to food as comfort. Bad, bad, bad. I tend to stay focused on making that lifestyle switch when I have a goal. Initially, it was my 20-year high school reunion...had to look hot (and I did!). And I did great at maintaining for 18 months after staying on point with eating well, with the occasional treat, and working out 6 days a week.

Then I guess I just got overwhelmed with work and personal stress and picked the wrong outlets for relief. So...hoping a fun goal will get me redirected and refocused. And i plan to start using workouts as my best stress relief! I know what I need to do...just need to get off my butt and do it!!! :biggrin:

Thanks, C4H! I actually lost a slew of weight a couple of years ago, using that mentality. But it's been creeping back on over the last 6 months when I backslid to stinkin' thinkin'. Lots of stress and I turned to food as comfort. Bad, bad, bad. I tend to stay focused on making that lifestyle switch when I have a goal. Initially, it was my 20-year high school reunion...had to look hot (and I did!). And I did great at maintaining for 18 months after staying on point with eating well, with the occasional treat, and working out 6 days a week.

Then I guess I just got overwhelmed with work and personal stress and picked the wrong outlets for relief. So...hoping a fun goal will get me redirected and refocused. And i plan to start using workouts as my best stress relief! I know what I need to do...just need to get off my butt and do it!!! :biggrin:

Oh, I hear ya! I'm all too familiar with stress and linking food to stress. I've had some major health problems because of stress, I decided that it's time to take control over my domain that is my body and state of mind or I may perish. People underestimate the power of stress and its effects... They think stress can be undone easily like a minor inconvenience, but our minds are a bit more complex than that. I like that you are going to use working out as stress relief and I am totally rooting for you!

Crazy4Handbags said:
Oh, I hear ya! I'm all too familiar with stress and linking food to stress. I've had some major health problems because of stress, I decided that it's time to take control over my domain that is my body and state of mind or I may perish. People underestimate the power of stress and its effects... They think stress can be undone easily like a minor inconvenience, but our minds are a bit more complex than that. I like that you are going to use working out as stress relief and I am totally rooting for you!

Aww..thank you! That really helps. Support is a huge factor, too! DH is on board and ready to recommit to healthy living, so we're off to a good start!

Good luck Eehlers! I'm in a similar situation. I've gained 20 pounds since getting married 6 years ago. I started Nutrisystem about 2 months ago and really like it. I've lost 8 pounds (this past week only maintained since I did eat some yummy July 4th food) but to me the food tastes great, even though it is very small portions. That's always been my biggest problem, so I'm trying to reteach myself the correct portion sizes and just make a general lifestyle change. Also been running 3 miles each day. It's so hard to stay away from desserts which are my favorite! Anway, hard work can pay off for all of us. Fingers crossed!

Fashion1 said:
Good luck Eehlers! I'm in a similar situation. I've gained 20 pounds since getting married 6 years ago. I started Nutrisystem about 2 months ago and really like it. I've lost 8 pounds (this past week only maintained since I did eat some yummy July 4th food) but to me the food tastes great, even though it is very small portions. That's always been my biggest problem, so I'm trying to reteach myself the correct portion sizes and just make a general lifestyle change. Also been running 3 miles each day. It's so hard to stay away from desserts which are my favorite! Anway, hard work can pay off for all of us. Fingers crossed!

congrats lady! That's awesome! I almost cried when I put on jeans that used to fit well only to find them too small now :sad:. I am for sure a stress eater and have not been workin out or being good with food lately :sad:

I'm home from work today thanks to hot water heater drama. Our HWH died a horrible death last Tuesday. Got a new one installed and had a clean up crew come out to handle yhw leaked water cleanup. Just our luck, they found mold. Eeuuggghhhh!! So a remediation crew is coming out today to tear up the wall and carpet and get rid of the mold.

Thank goodness for USAA home insurance. They are awesome. We were planning to redo our rec room this summer anyway, so thanks to this, we'll get some assistance on getting new carpet.

Our poor cats though are traumitized. All the plumbers, clean up crews and noisy equipment are making their poor nerves shot. Once the crew shows up today, they'll be two lumps under the comforter on our bed. I expect we'll see them again sometime Wednesday. :P Poor little poopies.

^^Aww, your poor Kitties! My dogs would just bark at them incessantly and drive us all cray-cray! :cray:

I'm in the same boat as you other ladies, needing to shed some lbs! Maybe we should start a Minkette Weight Loss Support Group! :smile: I've slowly let about 20lbs sneak back up on me that I worked so hard to get off after I had my daughter about 5 years ago. I have horrible eating habits for the most part. I actually think I have an eating disorder of sorts. I eat healthy long enough to shed a few pounds and get back to a some what comfortable weight, then I seem to go off the deep end and eat horribly until I can't stand myself anymore. I'm there right now!! And sadly, I am stuck home with my two little ones and can't get to the gym as much as I'd like. At this point I have just made up my mind to try and be as good as I can until school starts back up and then I'm back at the gym & dieting hard core! I just wish I could get eating in moderation in my head and make it stick...but it just doesn't seem to happen. :nogood:

scoobiesmomma said:
^^Aww, your poor Kitties! My dogs would just bark at them incessantly and drive us all cray-cray! :cray:

I'm in the same boat as you other ladies, needing to shed some lbs! Maybe we should start a Minkette Weight Loss Support Group! :smile: I've slowly let about 20lbs sneak back up on me that I worked so hard to get off after I had my daughter about 5 years ago. I have horrible eating habits for the most part. I actually think I have an eating disorder of sorts. I eat healthy long enough to shed a few pounds and get back to a some what comfortable weight, then I seem to go off the deep end and eat horribly until I can't stand myself anymore. I'm there right now!! And sadly, I am stuck home with my two little ones and can't get to the gym as much as I'd like. At this point I have just made up my mind to try and be as good as I can until school starts back up and then I'm back at the gym & dieting hard core! I just wish I could get eating in moderation in my head and make it stick...but it just doesn't seem to happen. :nogood:

I feel your pain, Scoobs! I've been in a bad eating spiral, too. I love the idea of a weight loss support group! When I took that gang of weight off before, it was while on Weight Watchers and those meetings are helpful - if for no other reason than to realize others go through the same struggles.

I vote we start a weight loss support group! Who's in? Would we just use this thread, or do you think we could start a new one? If our reward for success is new bags, then it's purse related, right? LOL!

you know I've never done that but it really sounds like a great plan! I've been eating healthier lately. Part of it has to do with summer (I usually like to eat lighter when its warmer) and the other part is just wanting to eat less salt and fatty/fried foods.

We have been without power for 3 days now. It's very frustrating & boring. The temps reached 100 degrees the last two days, so we have had to spend time in the basement with the cats to cool them off. It's amazing how much you need power for! We have quite the amount of laundry piling up, etc :-/

Sorry to hear about your energy woes! I hope you have power by now. Its in the 90s where I am and I cannot imagine living w/out my beloved A/C.

Great post! I totally agree with you eating better should be a new way of life rather than just a temporary diet. I've been doing this for the past month. I honestly feel way better these days, with more energy. I also hate running, and do the the brisk walks too.

I'm home from work today thanks to hot water heater drama. Our HWH died a horrible death last Tuesday. Got a new one installed and had a clean up crew come out to handle yhw leaked water cleanup. Just our luck, they found mold. Eeuuggghhhh!! So a remediation crew is coming out today to tear up the wall and carpet and get rid of the mold.

Thank goodness for USAA home insurance. They are awesome. We were planning to redo our rec room this summer anyway, so thanks to this, we'll get some assistance on getting new carpet.

Our poor cats though are traumitized. All the plumbers, clean up crews and noisy equipment are making their poor nerves shot. Once the crew shows up today, they'll be two lumps under the comforter on our bed. I expect we'll see them again sometime Wednesday. :P Poor little poopies.

I curse water damage! Had that in my house before and its not fun. My problem wasn't even a huge flood but rather a small leak. I can only imagine how horrible it is when its a larger amount of water causing the damage. Hope that you are able to get back to normal soon.

Fashion1 said:

Congrats on 8 pounds down! That's awesome!! Ate well today, and getting up early tomorrow for a 5-mile power walk before heading to work. Feels good to get started!!

Sending low-cal, high fat burn vibes to all my Minkettes on the road to weight loss!! :biggrin:

missmoz said:
I curse water damage! Had that in my house before and its not fun. My problem wasn't even a huge flood but rather a small leak. I can only imagine how horrible it is when its a larger amount of water causing the damage. Hope that you are able to get back to normal soon.

The bummer...there was mold. The positive...not quite as bad as feared. Now the fun part. Getting contractors to rebuild what's been torn up. Ugh.