MINKIE CHAT THREAD ..... Let's chat! (4)

The rabbits may chew on the lower leaves but fencing should solve that problem. Or you could grow them in pots.
we got some succulents with flowers and had them in pots on the patio tables.....the rodents got to them....the plants are still alive but not in very good shape.....
yes, fencing could be an option but we have lots of cactus and succulents in pots that we plan to put in the ground.....we have lots to do here....want spread wood chips/rocks around, plant trees, etc. the property was a burn and the people who had it before us didn't seem to do any landscaping.....the best thing they did was put up a night quality fence around the whole acre

would love to have something like this
plants santa barbara.jpg

we got some succulents with flowers and had them in pots on the patio tables.....the rodents got to them....the plants are still alive but not in very good shape.....
yes, fencing could be an option but we have lots of cactus and succulents in pots that we plan to put in the ground.....we have lots to do here....want spread wood chips/rocks around, plant trees, etc. the property was a burn and the people who had it before us didn't seem to do any landscaping.....the best thing they did was put up a night quality fence around the whole acre

View attachment 5079129

This would be nice! So interesting to see the different gardens in different climates.

View attachment 5079129
Oh that does look nice!

Reactions: sdkitty
Wasn't totally happy with the handles on this MAM, this will be the first time trying Angelus Leather paint. I should have taken before pics but forgot. So today it has to dry, then tomorrow I will seal it which will take a day to dry. I didn't pick the right shade so I'll use some tarrago for some tint I guess.
I tried the paint on some older MAB handles but the deglazer seemed to make that leather even more fragile.
20210509_163144.jpg20210509_163123.jpg

you might find this interesting (I was trying to just post the deer article but you can scroll down to it)

Welcome to the Weekend Briefing. We’re covering voting restrictions, India’s vaccination efforts and moms’ secret talents.
Saul Martinez for The New York Times​

1. The ********** Party’s efforts to limit voting rights are making inroads.
Florida and Texas became the latest states to move toward limiting voter access after November’s elections, joining **********-backed measures in Georgia, Montana and Iowa. Other states including Arizona, Michigan and Ohio are considering their own bills.

On Thursday, Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida signed a law that restricts absentee ballots, a popular method of voting in that state, and expands a current rule that prohibits outside groups from canvassing close to polling places. Critics say the new law will disproportionately hurt people of color.
The Texas House of Representatives passed a similar measure last week that would also greatly empower partisan poll watchers. If Gov. Greg Abbott signs the bill, which he supports, Texas will become one of the most difficult states in the nation in which to cast a ballot.

Without an effective legislative or legal strategy, ********s are applying pressure on their allies in Washington and trying to energize supporters ahead of the 2022 midterm elections.
The sweeping new measures echo the fictional narrative from Donald ***** and his allies that the electoral system is rigged against him. Between the new laws, the vilification of Representative Liz Cheney and a bizarre recount in Arizona, it has become clear just how absolute *****’s grip on **********s remains, our political correspondent writes.

Jim Lo Scalzo/EPA, via Shutterstock​

2. A ransomware attack forced the shutdown of one of the largest U.S. pipelines, which carries 45 percent of the East Coast’s fuel supplies.
The operator of the system, Colonial Pipeline, said it had halted systems for its 5,500 miles of pipeline, which transports gasoline, diesel fuel and jet fuel from Texas up the East Coast to New York, in an effort to contain the breach on its computer networks. It was not immediately clear who the hacker was, but a federal agency is investigating.

Attacks on critical infrastructure have accelerated in recent months after two breaches, one by Russia’s main intelligence service and another by Chinese hackers, underscored the vulnerability of the networks. In the coming weeks, the ***** administration is expected to issue an executive order to bolster security of federal and private systems.

Kiana Hayeri for The New York Times​
3. Explosions outside a high school in Afghanistan’s capital killed at least 50 people and wounded dozens more, many of them teenage girls leaving class.

The attack has underscored fears about the nation’s future, with rights groups raising alarms that the U.S. troop withdrawal will endanger women if the Taliban widen their grip over parts of the country.
Streets and roads were packed on Saturday as Kabul’s residents prepared for the end of the holy month of Ramadan. So far no group has claimed responsibility.

The blast capped a particularly violent week in Afghanistan: At least 44 civilians and 139 government forces were killed in the country, the highest weekly death toll since October.

Adnan Abidi/Reuters​
4. India is home to the world’s largest vaccine maker, the Serum Institute, which had big plans to inoculate the poor across the globe against Covid-19. Those promises have fallen apart.

In an interview with The Times, Serum’s chief executive, Adar Poonawalla, defended his company and its ambitions. He had no choice but to hand over vaccines to the government, he said. He cited a lack of raw materials, which he has partly blamed on the U.S.
With India recording about 400,000 new cases a day, the fires blazing at crematories have come to symbolize the devastation from the Covid crisis.

Meanwhile in the U.S., as demand for shots plummets, states turned down hundreds of thousands of doses this week, contributing to a growing stockpile of vaccine.

Mark Abramson for The New York Times​
5. “Will I recognize you?”

After seven years apart, Ana Paredes and her 10-year-old daughter, Melissa, were reunited in Los Angeles last month. Melissa’s arrival marked the end of a 2,500-mile journey that began in Guatemala in February and ended in a hazardous raft trip across the Rio Grande into Texas.
Over the past six months, nearly 50,000 migrant children like Melissa have crossed the southwestern border on their own as part of an extraordinary new wave of immigration. Many of the children were left behind years ago in Central America by parents who traveled north to find work.

Federal documents indicate that while the ***** administration has cleared migrant children from border detention centers, shelters are now strained. Over the past week, more than 21,000 children were living in shelters under government care.

Your support makes our journalism possible.
Help us continue to bring the facts to light. Become a subscriber with this special offer.

Kirby Lee/USA Today Sports, via Reuters​

6. The N.C.A.A. has long stopped college athletes from making money from their fame. That may soon change.
Under pressure to reshape college sports, Mark Emmert, the N.C.A.A. president, told The Times he would push to let athletes make endorsement deals this year. Emmert said he would recommend that college sports’ governing bodies approve new rules by July 1, when laws on such contracts go into effect in five states.

The changes promise to reshape a multibillion-dollar industry and test the N.C.A.A.’s generations-long assertions that student-athletes should be amateurs who play mainly for scholarships, and that college sports appeal to fans partly because the players are not professionals.

Philip Cheung for The New York Times​
7. Regulators in California will require the nation’s largest cluster of warehouses used by Amazon and others to drastically clean up their emissions.

The new rules would force the operators of some 3,000 mega-warehouses larger than 100,000 square feet to slash pollution from trucks that serve those facilities. The regulations have set a precedent for regulating the exploding e-commerce industry; they could also speed up the electrification of freight trucks.
The pollution has taken a particularly heavy toll in Southern California, which suffers from the nation’s worst air quality. Minority neighborhoods have been disproportionately affected.

Griselda San Martin​

8. They cook. They feign interest in Minecraft. They wrestle. They teach. They give their children confidence. Moms do it all.
Especially this year, it seems as if mothers spent a lot of time cataloging their failures. So for Mother’s Day this year, we asked 12 moms to revel in their talents and share their secret strengths.

When the pandemic hit last March, one photographer with a new baby turned to other mothers for comfort. She captured them across New York City, above, and asked them to write letters to their children. “I haven’t lost myself in the midst of all the chaos in the world because of you,” one wrote.
If you’re celebrating Mom this weekend, here are six recipes to wow her.

Getty Images​

9. Are you trying to build a deer-proof garden? We’ll get straight to the bad news: It doesn’t exist.
As one of the dominant species in Canada and the U.S., the white-tailed deer is the largest herbivore in most places where we farm and garden. But our garden expert says there are still plenty of things you can do to deter them, like building a barrier or using repellents that smell or taste bad. First, though, make sure your adversary is a deer.

If you’d rather buy flowers, T Magazine rounded up the most sought-after florists in cities around the world.

Jen Guyto​
10. And finally, great weekend reads.

Mozambique’s new stunningly beautiful national park, above. Trying to fill Alex Trebek’s shoes. Women who said no to motherhood. The Weekender has all these stories and more.
Our editors also suggest these 10 new books, the final season of “Shrill,” and a collection of narrated Times stories, including one about a 7-Eleven grudge match in Japan.

Did you follow the news this week? Test your knowledge. And here’s the front page of our Sunday paper, the Sunday Review from Opinion, and today’s Mini Crossword and Spelling Bee. If you’re in the mood to play more, find all our games here.
Have a sun-filled week.

P.S. No need to worry: Debris from a large Chinese rocket landed in the Indian Ocean near the Maldives.

Your Weekend Briefing is published Sundays at 6:30 a.m. Eastern.
Did a friend forward you the briefing? You can sign up here.

What did you like? What do you want to see here? Let us know at [email protected].
Browse our full range of Times newsletters here.

Need help? Review our newsletter help page or contact us for assistance.
The Morning Briefing newsletter is now The Morning newsletter. You received this email because you signed up for the newsletter from The New York Times, or as part of your New York Times account.
To stop receiving these emails, unsubscribe or manage your email preferences.
Subscribe to The TimesGet The New York Times app
Connect with us on:
Change Your EmailPrivacy PolicyContact UsCalifornia Notices
The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018
I think we'll be using a lot of smelly plants like geraniums and lavender. But then we also have to be drought-conscious too...

Wasn't totally happy with the handles on this MAM, this will be the first time trying Angelus Leather paint. I should have taken before pics but forgot. So today it has to dry, then tomorrow I will seal it which will take a day to dry. I didn't pick the right shade so I'll use some tarrago for some tint I guess.
I tried the paint on some older MAB handles but the deglazer seemed to make that leather even more fragile.
View attachment 5079220View attachment 5079221
It looks great!