minimalist handbag collection (under 8) (for working women+new mom)

bluecoffee0

Apr 9, 2020
How many bags do you have in your minimalist bag collection? I dont wanna have too many to overwhelm myself but I also wanna make sure i have enough for different occasions (and trying to find uses/reasons to keep).

This is what I am planning to keep in my collection and not buy any bags for the next 10 years (till 2030) unless bags from my collection gets old and torn- Longchamp would be one of those.
Collection-->

1. LV Tote in Black (I go to a lot of conferences so I thought I would need this)
2. Lady Dior (For dressup events/special events)
3. Longchamp Shoulder Bag
4. Gucci Soho Disco
5. Adding to my collection-->gucci dionysus (lots of weddings coming up)
6. Marc Jacobs Crossbody (i use when its raining or snowing)

I also have small dior crossbody but only my phone fits so debating whether to keep it or donate. the black color is coming off so never buying Dior again.

FOR MOMS OUT THERE--> Which bag do you use the most? which is more practical in the 1st 4-5 years?
Also prefer a bag pack to work instead of tote.
FOR WORKING WOMEN--> Which bag do you take to work?

My minimalist collection has the following

1. Chanel jumbo (black, lambskin, chevron)
2. Celine micro luggage (black)
3. LV on my side (tan)
4. Hermes Evelyne GM (clemence, black)
5. Chanel square mini (jeweled, black)
6. Le pliage Neo Large (black)

I'm a working mom of a 2 year old with another on the way so I might be able to answer your questions.

- I use my evelyne the most. I realized that my husband usually carries the baby bag when we're out and if one of us goes to change the baby, I like having a bag with my own stuff and like it separate from the baby's. I'm not a backpack person even through I tried various ones but I am a HUGE crossbody fan. I also used my jumbo but it doesn't hold as much and sometimes I like to just throw a few baby items in my purse if its a quick trip with me and my daughter.
- For work I carry an additional bag (le pliage tote) which in the past had my work device, breast pump, cooler, lunch, etc.

I currently have :
- H Lindy 30, vert Bosphore
- H GP 36, rouge H
- LV speedy 30 epi, black
- Gucci Abbey all leather tote, black
- Longchamp funtaisy crossbody, pink
- Séquoia leather crossbody (French brand I adore, with great quality for its price), gray
- Séquoia huge shoulder bag, black
- Mac Douglas Birkin-40-like bag (also a French brand), coral
- Sonia Rykiel Grenelle clutch, once a year for weddings, navy

As a mom bag DH and I use my Jansport backpack, which travelled all around the world with us before. I like this so much better than a huge diaper bag on the stroller (and the stroller is very compact and not roomy at all). Depending on the day and wether my son and I are with DH or not, I put my few things in the backpack or wear one of my 2 crossbodies in addition. Crossbodies do not suit me well at all, so I avoid them as much as I can. But I tried ! Last year I even purchased an Evelyne, and DH immediately told me that I'd better not keep it at such a price.

For work I take any of my bags, because they are all understated. People might rather stare at the Mac Douglas than the LV and Hermès ! I just avoid showing the Hermès stamp on the Lindy which is in front when the bag is open.

Last edited:
How many bags do you have in your minimalist bag collection? I dont wanna have too many to overwhelm myself but I also wanna make sure i have enough for different occasions (and trying to find uses/reasons to keep).

This is what I am planning to keep in my collection and not buy any bags for the next 10 years (till 2030) unless bags from my collection gets old and torn- Longchamp would be one of those.
Collection-->

1. LV Tote in Black (I go to a lot of conferences so I thought I would need this)
4. Gucci Soho Disco

I also have small dior crossbody but only my phone fits so debating whether to keep it or donate. the black color is coming off so never buying Dior again.

FOR MOMS OUT THERE--> Which bag do you use the most? which is more practical in the 1st 4-5 years?
I have an honest question, not wanting to make fun of your plan: do you really feel you will be satisfied with your bag collection for 10 years ?
Maybe you are trying to deal with a little guilt and justifying these purchases ?
Anyway, these are beautiful classics.

I have an honest question, not wanting to make fun of your plan: do you really feel you will be satisfied with your bag collection for 10 years ?
Maybe you are trying to deal with a little guilt and justifying these purchases ?
Anyway, these are beautiful classics.

Thanks. I dont go out much, i am an introvert but going out might change once I get married. Most of my bags I havent even touched in the last 1-2 years esp DIOR. I mostly use soho disco and longchamp. I am also planning to invest money on Cameras (interested in Photography) instead of bags. Lost a few people in my life in the past few years and has made me realize expensive bags dont mean much. For my wedding, i might buy a bag if I feel the need during that time but I am happy with my collection. Stay safe!

Mom of a 5 yr old and 1 yr here! I also aspire to have a minimalist collection and here's what I've downsized to, based on my needs. I have to add that I pack light, mostly a diaper and pack of wipes on top my own stuff.

5 bags on rotation + 1 work bag
Dressy occasions or date nights without kids - Chanel med classic flap
Day to night - LV Pochette Metis empreinte and Celine Micro Belt (I also use them when I bring the kids to "dressy occasions")
Travel/casual (playground runs etc) - LV Speedy B25
Big roomy bag - Givenchy Pandora
Work bag - LV Sofia Coppola pm

Last edited:
Mom of a 5 yr old and 1 yr here! I also aspire to have a minimalist collection and here's what I've downsized to, based on my needs. I have to add that I pack light, mostly a diaper and pack of wipes on top my own stuff.

5 bags on rotation + 1 work bag
Dressy occasions or date nights without kids - Chanel med classic flap
Day to night - LV Pochette Metis empreinte and Celine Micro Belt (I also use them when I bring the kids to "dressy occasions")
Travel/casual (playground runs etc) - LV Speedy B25
Big roomy bag - Givenchy Pandora
Work bag - LV Sofia Coppola pm
This might be the most perfect collection I’ve seen. Great job!!

This might be the most perfect collection I’ve seen. Great job!!
Oh wow what a compliment, thank you :smile:
Took me a while to find what works for me + what I truly enjoy using. Like for eg I don't have a mini crossbody or tote bag which a lot of people think are must-haves. I also understand that my needs may evolve as the kids grow so I'll still buy bags if it fits a purpose :P

Splash-proof Longchamp is a great idea for a diaper bag. I use my black Néo in bad weather and my blue Néo as a gym bag, so it seems like a natural "pile-it-on-I-can-take-it" shoo-in for a diaper bag. Plus, the large totes are big enough to carry baby's things, mom's handbag, a full-sized disco ball, six white horses, and extra mints.
As the Preteen grew out of a baby bag, our needs changed. I still want more room for the extra stuff (trying in vain to get this kid to carry a sling bag), and somehow, parenting still requires me to be able to twist, turn, reach, and crouch. My large Venetas are glorious for this.

For work, I have two different situations:
1. a large vintage BV tote to carry my music folder, iPad, chargers, coffee, water bottle, and small bag with my essentials to rehearsals
2. a very small evening bag I can lock inside my instrument's case backstage during performances.

Last edited:
Splash-proof Longchamp is a great idea for a diaper bag. I use my black Néo in bad weather and my blue Néo as a gym bag, so it seems like a natural "pile-it-on-I-can-take-it" shoo-in for a diaper bag. Plus, the large totes are big enough to carry baby's things, mom's handbag, a full-sized disco ball, six white horses, and extra mints.
As the Preteen grew out of a baby bag, our needs changed. I still want more room for the extra stuff (trying in vain to get this kid to carry a sling bag), and somehow, parenting still requires me to be able to twist, turn, reach, and crouch. My large Venetas are glorious for this.

For work, I have two different situations:
1. a large vintage BV tote to carry my music folder, iPad, chargers, coffee, water bottle, and small bag with my essentials to rehearsals
2. a very small evening bag I can lock inside my instrument's case backstage during performances.
:lol::lol::lol:
full-sized disco ball, six white horses and extra mints! I like your sense of humour!

Reactions: Joule
I'm glad to see others on here who like to keep a smaller collection of bags! I rotate between 3 totes that I use during the work week, but they aren't designer as I work in healthcare and prefer not to bring that type of bag to work. On the weekends I use crossbody bags since I don't need to carry as much.

Work Totes: 2 Madewell Medium Transport Totes (1 in Saddle, and 1 in black), and a grey suede Frye tote - they are all workhorses and highly recommend as non-luxury options. I don't have kids, but I think any of these would work well as a "mom bag".
Weekend Bags: YSL Medium College in black with aged silver hw
LV Twice in Empreinte Noir
Gucci Soho Disco in Rose Beige
Clutch for events: LV Pochette Felicie in Galet Epi Leather

I also prefer carrying something low-key when I travel internationally or fly across the country, so for that I've been using an old Rebecca Minkoff camera bag. She's seen better days, so I recently purchased a little leather Coach crossbody called the Cassie 19. I never thought I'd buy anything from Coach, as I've never been a fan, but I gotta be honest, its a great little bag and pretty discreet (no logos all over it).

Collection-->

4. Gucci Soho Disco

My recommendation for work bags depends on your needs. Do you carry a laptop daily? A notebook/papers? A tablet?

My favorite bag for work is my Mansur Gavriel small tote. I live in a city with no public transportation, so I drive everywhere. It Also is big enough to fit a notebook/folders, but a bit too small for a laptop unless you’re ok with it sticking up out of the top a bit. The red interior makes it a little less harsh if I’m wearing it with say a black dress or suit. The detachable pouch is perfect to throw phone and a credit card for lunch or after work drinks. The sub-$650 price point makes it more reasonable than other bags of this quality.

8EF74D36-F621-4EFE-9040-1FDF173B750E.jpeg

A Mulberry zipped tote is my recommendation for a mid size work bag with a zip top, if you’re not ok with open top. It could fit a tablet or a small notebook, but probably not a full size notebook or papers if you zip it. Looks AMAZING with a navy dress or suit.84C47E9A-4A8A-4679-8D36-1CBA1D5B19A2.jpeg

If you need to carry a laptop on a daily basis, I recommend the Love 41 simple tote. It’s not a fancy designer bag, but it’s amazing quality and last I looked, under $200. I use this when I have to carry a laptop and don’t want to use my oversized briefcase.

966FAED4-EF7F-4C39-8731-658CB940CD0B.jpeg

My recommendation for work bags depends on your needs. Do you carry a laptop daily? A notebook/papers? A tablet?

My favorite bag for work is my Mansur Gavriel small tote. I live in a city with no public transportation, so I drive everywhere. It Also is big enough to fit a notebook/folders, but a bit too small for a laptop unless you’re ok with it sticking up out of the top a bit. The red interior makes it a little less harsh if I’m wearing it with say a black dress or suit. The detachable pouch is perfect to throw phone and a credit card for lunch or after work drinks. The sub-$650 price point makes it more reasonable than other bags of this quality.

View attachment 4754729

A Mulberry zipped tote is my recommendation for a mid size work bag with a zip top, if you’re not ok with open top. It could fit a tablet or a small notebook, but probably not a full size notebook or papers if you zip it. Looks AMAZING with a navy dress or suit.View attachment 4754728

If you need to carry a laptop on a daily basis, I recommend the Love 41 simple tote. It’s not a fancy designer bag, but it’s amazing quality and last I looked, under $200. I use this when I have to carry a laptop and don’t want to use my oversized briefcase.

View attachment 4754732

Your Mulberry is beautiful!

Reactions: Diva_k3000