Mini Sac De Jour and dilemma

SuLi

O.G.
Nov 1, 2005
Hi everyone! I purchased the mini Sac De Jour over the weekend after a two year search for the perfect crossbody/mini bag. It's my first Saint Laurent purchase since the Downtown from a few years ago. While I love the mini SDJ and it made my heart skip a beat when I saw it IRL, I'm finding myself slightly unsure about it. I don't know if it has to do with the fact that I've been searching for a crossbody/mini bag for such a long time and/or if it's the price point. I realize that designer bags have gotten more and more expensive over the last few years, but I'm wondering if it's really worth it even though the mini SDJ looks exceptionally well-made. Are crossbody/mini bags trendy or are they becoming classics? I'm now debating whether I should abandon the mini bag/crossbody idea and save a bit more to get the small SDJ since I really love the overall look of the SDJs. But then again, I'm tired of using larger bags on lighter days and weekends.

For comparison, these were some of the other bags I considered over the last two years: Rebecca Minkoff Mini MAC, Coach Mini Borough, Celine Nano (I actually purchased one in the beginning of my search, but ended up returning it because I thought it was too long on me), Celine Trio, Chloe Marcie small satchel/crossbody, Philip Lim mini Pashli, PS1 pouch, petite Fendi 2Jours, and Givenchy small Antigona.

For those of you who have the small SDJ and/or mini SDJ, what are your thoughts? I'm worried that if I return the mini SDJ, I'll end of regretting some point down the line and it'll end up being more expensive.

Thanks for reading and your advice!

Attachments

• YSL.jpg
    YSL.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 2,069
I love mine I just bought but I was debating on the Saint Laurent or the Celine nano I love the crossbody bag, I think its perfect I just don't like big bags anymore that's why I wanted the saint Laurent , I say keep it its a classic and will get a lot of use out of it.

Thanks for your suggestions -- I decided to keep the bag! BUT....I have some sad news about the SDJ. I took the stuffing out this morning to use it for the first time and saw a sliver of light peeking through the corner of the bag. There is a small hole in corner the bag! It looks like the piece of leather was not sewn or glued shut properly on the outside corner. I am really disappointed and immediately e-mailed the SA. Hopefully, I'll be able to exchange it.

I hope that you hear back soon regarding the flaw. This style is so cute!

I have tried a few of the brands you mentioned earlier and thought I'd share what I've experienced with some of them.

Chloe mini Marcie: Adorable! BUT the strap is NOT long enough for cross body wear.....only about 16 in. Long. This was a deal breaker for me so I sold mine. ....does not hold much either.
RM Mini MAC: cute but TIny. The regular MAC is a great size. I used to own one in every color but now own only one. It's my workhorse bag.
Nano.......Love, love, love.....I own 4!
Phillip Lim: Cute and the leather is very durable but getting in and out was a pain because of the flap and the clasp.....I sold mine. Strap is adjustable and very long.
One option I love that you did not mention is the Gucci soho disco bag. Very cute and doesn't cost a ton.
Another cute small bag is the Prada tote #1801.... About the size of the Nano but a little more square.

I haven't tried the ysl mini sac de jour but have been looking at them! I'll share a photo of my cross body collection.

I just purchased the SDJ micro in fuschia and was wondering if I should return it for the Lady Dior Mini in fuschia.... i'm starting to lean towards keeping mine. I already own a white Lady Dior (one size bigger, which is the best size in my opinion). I've been contemplating buying the normal size SDJ but I tried it on @ Nordstroms and just wasn't feeling it. I usually carry around just a diaper bag so I've stopped purchasing big, top handle bags :sad:

Any thoughts anyone? Micro SDJ or Lady Dior mini? ;)

I hope that you hear back soon regarding the flaw. This style is so cute!

I have tried a few of the brands you mentioned earlier and thought I'd share what I've experienced with some of them.

Chloe mini Marcie: Adorable! BUT the strap is NOT long enough for cross body wear.....only about 16 in. Long. This was a deal breaker for me so I sold mine. ....does not hold much either.
RM Mini MAC: cute but TIny. The regular MAC is a great size. I used to own one in every color but now own only one. It's my workhorse bag.
Nano.......Love, love, love.....I own 4!
Phillip Lim: Cute and the leather is very durable but getting in and out was a pain because of the flap and the clasp.....I sold mine. Strap is adjustable and very long.
One option I love that you did not mention is the Gucci soho disco bag. Very cute and doesn't cost a ton.
Another cute small bag is the Prada tote #1801.... About the size of the Nano but a little more square.

I haven't tried the ysl mini sac de jour but have been looking at them! I'll share a photo of my cross body collection.

Thanks for your feedback! I'll look into the Gucci Disco bag. I think I may be leaning towards the small SDJ, which really isn't a mini, or the Fendi Petite 2Jours. I would love to see a picture of your collection!

I just purchased the SDJ micro in fuschia and was wondering if I should return it for the Lady Dior Mini in fuschia.... i'm starting to lean towards keeping mine. I already own a white Lady Dior (one size bigger, which is the best size in my opinion). I've been contemplating buying the normal size SDJ but I tried it on @ Nordstroms and just wasn't feeling it. I usually carry around just a diaper bag so I've stopped purchasing big, top handle bags :sad:

Any thoughts anyone? Micro SDJ or Lady Dior mini? ;)

Does the Lady Dior mini have a crossbody strap too? I think you should see it in person before deciding (that's what I'm trying to do with my decision). However, I think since you own a larger a Lady Dior, you should keep the mini SDJ.

I too recently went through a similar crossbody search and looked at many of your options as well as the mini balenciagas and the givenchy pandora box. After a long search, I fell in love with the nano sac de jour in real life and don't regret it at all!!

It's very classic and adorable in this size. It also fits more than some of the other minis. I had always gravitated toward bigger bags, but I now find this size practical and refreshing.

Thanks for your suggestions -- I decided to keep the bag! BUT....I have some sad news about the SDJ. I took the stuffing out this morning to use it for the first time and saw a sliver of light peeking through the corner of the bag. There is a small hole in corner the bag! It looks like the piece of leather was not sewn or glued shut properly on the outside corner. I am really disappointed and immediately e-mailed the SA. Hopefully, I'll be able to exchange it.
Hi. I was in the same boat as you...got my large SDJ and upon removing the tissues, I noticed that tiny "flaw/hole", on both sides of the front corner (the back was glue shut). My heart dropped because I've waited a very long time to get my hands on this baby. I ordered her from Forward.

I immediately brought back to the YSL store and upon examining other SDJ bags in the store, the SA and I concluded that they came like that and it's NOT a flaw. I kept her and I'm very happy I did.
Here she is:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 1,151