Mini Cooper - thoughts?

sheishollywood

LiveLaughLove
O.G.
Nov 29, 2006
Hello TPF'ers! :biggrin:

Some of you know that in summer of 2010, I am planning on going back to school to complete my last year of my degree. But the school I am going to will unfortunately, require me to move from the Lower Mainland to the Island... I am hoping to find a part-time role within the University or possibly around Campus. Before I do this, I have to get some things in lined before going... I'm leaving my cushy corporate job to become a starving student.

I currently lease a new 2007 BMW, that is about $630.00/month and another $250 for insurance. While I am working, this is not bad. But, because I will only be working part-time and needing to pay rent still on a part-time job... I need to downsize.

I spoke to some friends who currently live on the Island and unfortunately with the area of where my school is, unless I live and work on Campus (meaning in a dorm) I need a car. Even things like a Grocery store or a drugstore is a good 15 minute drive. And I do plan on going back and forth from the island to the city when I have my breaks. I've budget myself for the next year and I can go from a $600.00 lease to about a $300.00 lease. I am saving a full year of lease and insurance payment on this price.

MINI is currently having a promo for their Mini Cooper Classic for $265.00/month no down payment and a Mini Cooper for $299.00/month with $999 down payment.

Now, my question is... is it a great car to drive? I've heard it is fun to drive but it's just not a "comfortable" car. I've been in one before and it does seem a little bit stiff, but being comfortable right now isn't really my priority. I like the mini as an option because it will be good on gas and since I will be most likely be living between the school and downtown (which would be a 15 minute drive either way or a half an hour from the school to downtown), I would like something that is gas efficient.

Thanks for your feedback! :smile:

I love them personally, but I have never driven one. I hear it has a sporty ride, not cushy one. I say give a spin, but it sounds like it'll be quite a step down for you regarding luxury! The beemer sounds nice!

We sat in one at a car show and weren't impressed with the interior, some things felt kinda cheap...but still, the convertible calls to me.

Boomie, you're exactly right! It's definitely on the sporty side. But funny enough my beamer is pretty sporty too and not all that "luxurious". The options are nice but the interior layout of my 3 series is very sporty.

Although it may look like a step down, that's exactly what I'm looking to do. I'm wanting to have most of my living and hard cost expense like rent, car, and gas all saved up before I move.

I used to have one, I gave it to my younger sister when she moved interstate. My thoughts are this: if you enjoy driving, you will enjoy this car, it is a pleasure to drive. I loved it!

LOVE the mini cooper! My Dad has one (not for long :P) but I drive it all the time. It is actually VERY roomy!

It also has one of the highest resell values (might have changed since I last checked, but I'm sure it's still pretty up there).

It's a bumpy/jerky ride if you're going 20 or below, but once you're over that it's smooth driving. :yes: Is it the most comfortable? no, I do think it's quite 'stiff'. However, I'm willing to sacrifice a little comfort for looking cute...

Yup! I forgot that...2004 cars in general are worth 80% of what I paid....5 years ago! :biggrin:

80%?? more like 65%-70%

For the Mini, overall, I think it's a good car. It's a BMW, so you've got that familiarity already.

What about a VW Rabbit/GTI?? I'd think you could snag one a bit cheaper and they're def fun to drive. If you're worried about MPG, the diesel engines get about 40-50 MPG.

Also, why are you leasing? Unless you're writing it off, a lease is not a wise financial decision.

My Mini S has been a great car, very sporty and fun to drive. I have the 6 speed with sports and premium packages. Ordering it online was a lot of fun!
It can carry a lot in the back area, but I wouldn't try to fit 4 people in it. The back seats are more ornamental, but at least they can be pushed down to fit more cargo.

I have over 20k on my '08 and haven't had any issues whatsoever.

I'm also a huge fan of VWs (fun, fun cars to drive, and I've had a GTI, Beetle and now a Passat)....but once you have your heart set on something, it's hard to be swayed :smile: I say get the mini...a convertible!