Food Million Dollar Pound Cake - Purrrfect Every Time!!

Dec 5, 2006
This is without a doubt the best pound cake recipe ever as it has NEVER failed me. I bake it 1 hr. 40 min without opening the oven and without checking for doneness after it's removed. It's great served alone or with fruit and/or ice cream!! I've baked this cake a couple dozen times over the past few years and it has always turned out perfect!

img1601od.jpg

img1603x.jpg

img1613ak.jpg

MILLION DOLLAR POUND CAKE

1 POUND BUTTER (SOFTENED)
3 CUPS SUGAR'
6 LARGE EGGS(ROOM TEMPERATURE)
4 CUPS ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
3/4 CUP MILK (ROOM TEMPERATURE)
1 TEASPOON ALMOND EXTRACT
1 TEASPOON VANILLA EXTRACT

BEAT BUTTER AT MEDIUM SPEED WITH AN ELECTRIC MIXER UNTIL CREAMY. (THE BUTTER WILL
BECOME A LIGHTER YELLOW COLOR; THIS IS AN IMPORTANT STEP, AS THE JOB OF THE MIXER
IS TO INCORPORATE AIR INTO THE BUTTER SO THE CAKE WILL RISE. IT WILL TAKE 1 TO 7 MINUTES
DEPENDING ON THE POWER OR YOUR MIXER.) I USE A KITCHENAID, AND I BEAT THE BUTTER FOR 7
MINUTES. GRADUALLY ADD SUGAR, BEATING AT MEDIUM SPEED UNTIL LIGHT AND FLUFFY. AGAIN,
I BEAT FOR ANOTHER 7 MINUTES AFTER ADDING THE SUGAR. ADD EGGS, 1 AT A TIME, BEATING JUST UNTIL YELLOW YOLK
DISAPPEARS.

GRADUALLY ADD FLOUR TO BUTTER MIXTURE ALTERNATELY WITH MILK, BEGINNING AND ENDING WITH FLOUR.
BEAT AT LOW SPEED UNTIL BLENDED AFTER EACH ADDITION. (THE BATTER SHOULD BE SMOOTH
AND FLOUR SHOULD BE WELL INCORPORATED; TO RID BATTER OF LUMPS, STIR GENTLY WITH A
RUBBER SPATULA.) STIR IN FLAVORINGS.

POUR INTO A WELL-GREASED AND FLOURED 10-INCH TUBE PAN. (USE VEGETABLE SHORTENING OR
BUTTER TO GREASE THE PAN, GETTING EVERY NOOK AND CRANNY COVERED. SPRINKLE A LIGHT COATING OF FLOUR OVER THE GREASED SURFACE.)

BAKE AT 300 DEGREES FOR 1 HOUR AND 40 MINUTES OR UNTIL A LONG WOODEN PICK INSERTED
IN THE CENTER COMES OUT CLEAN. COOL IN PAN ON A WIRE RACK 10-15 MINUTES. REMOVE FROM
PAN, AND COOL COMPLETELY ON A WIRE RACK.

Yum, thanks for this recipe and the pictures. My great aunts used to make a pound cake every Saturday afternoon and I can still remember how delicious their house smelled while the cake baked.

ooh i have to try this! does it end up tasting buttery? i've made a pound cake before that required an entire stick of butter, but the cake didn't taste buttery at all. sara lee pound cake is actually the best i've ever had :P

stephc005.....I personally taste more of the flavorings that I add rather than the butter.

FYI...for those that have Southern Living cookbook collection, this recipe can be found on pg. 239 of the 2002 annual edition. I add different flavored extacts from time to time at the requests of my family. My DH loves lemon, so rather than vanilla and almond, I most often add 2 tsp of lemon extract. I also suggest using a name brand butter. From experience, I've discovered that some of the store brands or less expensive butters do strange things and the outcome isn't as good. Because pound cakes can sometimes be dry, you might want to make a simple syrup to pour over it. Here's one I've used a few times.

1 cup white sugar 1/4 cup water 1/2 cup butter 5 tablespoons rum

In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, and 1/2 cup butter. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, and stir in rum. Pour hot syrup over hot cake. Let soak for 20 minutes.

A glaze is also something that will make your pound cake a little more interesting. Here's a basic recipe for one.

http://southernfood.about.com/cs/cakerecipes/ht/basic_glaze.htm