Milestone gift--Rolex/Cartier watch, or Chanel bag?

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. In the past few months, I had my first baby, a milestone birthday, and a significant professional accomplishment and would like to celebrate with a significant gift to myself. Rather than going with jewelry, I was thinking something a little more practical, and have limited my options to a Rolex perpetual oyster in stainless steel, a Cartier ballon bleu automatic, or a Chanel mini camera bag. My only watch at the moment is my Apple watch, and even though I did buy a second-hand Chanel classic earlier this year, I need something smaller for my work commutes, and the reissue mini camera bag in aged calfskin meets my needs. I'm not too flashy a person, and want something that can be used daily for years to come without the need for expensive repairs.

What would you choose?

2. Rolex, perfect for milestone celebration. Bags are nice but imo don’t stand time as well as a piece of jewellery so would choose a watch for function and especially if you don’t already have a nice one Congrats on your achievements and enjoy your ”dilemma”.

3. I would go with the Cartier ballon bleu. I think a watch is better than a handbag for marking a milestone - it can literally outlast you, with some care. I'm personally not a fan of Rolex, though Rolex is kind of the "quintessential" luxury watch brand, and I really like ballon bleu. So that would be my recommendation.

4. I have had my Ballon Bleu for 3 years, various Chanels of different sizes and just this week bought myself a Rolex. I have to say, the Rolex is truly amazing and one I would recommend for a milestone memento.

5. I would choose the Rolex if I were you. Personally I wouldn't get a Cartier watch. I like my watches from "proper" watch makers than jewellers but that's just me. More importantly buy what you love! GL with your decision.

MyMelodyLV likes this.
  6. A timepiece makes a good momento for an important milestone like this and you can pass it down next time. Personally, I will go with Rolex as it retains value better than Cartier. However, if this is something which you don’t mind, do go for the design which you like most.

7. Watch or jewelry like diamonds instead of bag.

8. Congrats. I would choose a Rolex. Enjoy your whatever your decide.

9. Do you care about appreciation or just want something you like? The lower end Rolexes tend to lose value or maintain. If you look into some other higher end makers, you'll find some brands that actually appreciate in value. I know Panerai did. There are some forums dedicated to timepieces (similar to purse forum) that will help you stay up to date with what's gaining value.
    Now, if you don't care about that...it really depends. Rolex tends to be less flashy compared to Cartier, but has better movements. But let's be honest, you're not timing atomic vibrations of quarks or anything, so the Cartier movement will be just fine for you. Both seem to carry some clout, depending on what type of reputation you're after.

10. I vote for a Rolex! Your choice is so classic and totally can’t go wrong with it.
    I’d never buy a Cartier watch, I‘m just not a fan of how they look, they remind me of an old lady..

11. I vote for the Rolex. When maintained properly, it will last for many, many years. It all depends on style. I love a Cartier watch also: the tank Francaise or Americain, the Ballon Bleu, the Santos. Knowing me, I would try to come up with a way to own both. It's apple and oranges. Rolex first, then Cartier. :smile:

12. Rolex

13. Bag because I don't find a watch necessary. I can tell time on my laptop, pc, iphone, adroid phone, fitbit, ipad and the good old clocks hanging on the wall or simply ask Alexa. Guess I am in the right place the bagwhore that I am.

14. Rolex, hands down. Best watch ever, IMO. I love my Rolex, it’s not just a watch-it’s so much more.

15. I’m in the minority here. I’d go for the bag. I don’t use any of my other watches now that I have an Apple Watch

floodette likes this.