Milestone birthday: Should I get a necklace or a watch?

Should I get a necklace or a watch?

• Necklace

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • Watch

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sparklebunny

Dec 16, 2019
Hi all, I’m thinking about a possible milestone birthday gift for later this year. Nothing is set in stone, but I’m debating getting either:

- A “casual” solitaire necklace for daily/frequent wear (something bezel-set, akin to the Cartier d’Amour or Tiffany DBTY or similar). Considering a diamond or sapphire.

Or:

- A nice dress watch for occasions. (My everyday watch is my Apple Watch.) The only issue is I’m WFH nowadays and would only wear the watch sometimes for special events. I’m not sure of the watch brand yet—maybe Cartier or Hermes (I like the style of the Nantucket bracelet chain), but I’m open to ideas. (Budget would be under $5K and I like classic, understated styles.)

I believe a high-quality watch would be a better long-term investment, but then again, it likely wouldn’t get as much wear as a necklace.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the best choice here. Thanks!

Congrats on your birthday! Tough decision…but I’d consider what you’ll get the most use and joy from. If you’d wear the necklace every day but only put on the watch for special occasions, then there would be more everyday joy in the necklace, rather than seeing the watch sitting in your jewelry box.

One thought is, if you have a $5K budget, you could get both. I marked my 50th by “spreading” my budget on a Longines automatic watch, a Tiffany bracelet and a custom ring. Look at Longines…lots of horological credibility but under-the-radar. Their Dolce Vita line is very classy and classic.

Congrats on your birthday! Tough decision…but I’d consider what you’ll get the most use and joy from. If you’d wear the necklace every day but only put on the watch for special occasions, then there would be more everyday joy in the necklace, rather than seeing the watch sitting in your jewelry box.

One thought is, if you have a $5K budget, you could get both. I marked my 50th by “spreading” my budget on a Longines automatic watch, a Tiffany bracelet and a custom ring. Look at Longines…lots of horological credibility but under-the-radar. Their Dolce Vita line is very classy and classic.
Thanks for your suggestion! Funny that you should mention Longines, since my husband has one himself!

And also—a belated happy 50th to you!

Reactions: foxgal