MIL gave me a horrible fake Coach diaper bag for Christmas.

OK, I just got another idea.... tell her that while you were using it one of the seams came loose so you needed to take it into Coach to be repaired and they told you "GASP" that it was a fake! (OMG! How did that happen?) And you can add, "I hope you didn't pay too much for it!" :devil:

I can spot a fake Coach a mile away. I would be traumatized to have to carry a fake one and definitely feel for you. The problem with telling her it was either ruined through soiling of grape juice or being ripped off is this a) she thinks you like knockoffs or that she fooled you with the knock off and will continue buy them for you. b) she feels bad your diaper bag got lost/stolen/damaged and she will replace it for you at your next gift exchange. Maybe the best is to tell her the handle came unglued and fell off while carrying and that you were completely humiliated. She will hopefully then realize knockoffs are complete garbage and won't consider giving them to anyone. I would even rip the handle off and show her LOL!

I can spot a fake Coach a mile away. I would be traumatized to have to carry a fake one and definitely feel for you. The problem with telling her it was either ruined through soiling of grape juice or being ripped off is this a) she thinks you like knockoffs or that she fooled you with the knock off and will continue buy them for you. b) she feels bad your diaper bag got lost/stolen/damaged and she will replace it for you at your next gift exchange. Maybe the best is to tell her the handle came unglued and fell off while carrying and that you were completely humiliated. She will hopefully then realize knockoffs are complete garbage and won't consider giving them to anyone. I would even rip the handle off and show her LOL!

Ha ha:graucho: that is a great idea! I love that you would be able to show how horrible the quality of the bag is. Even if you had to help it out a little.

I just took a look at the handle, and it's GLUED!! Not even stitched! That would be perfect. I'll have to rip it a few days from now, when DH is at work, because something tells me he wouldn't approve of my sabotage.

OK, I just got another idea.... tell her that while you were using it one of the seams came loose so you needed to take it into Coach to be repaired and they told you "GASP" that it was a fake! (OMG! How did that happen?) And you can add, "I hope you didn't pay too much for it!" :devil:

I like this idea!! That way it's not you who's telling her it's fake, it's the Coach SA's!! What's she gonna say, they're lying?

And if you guys don't get along, why is she getting you a "gift" anyway? Just to put up a front?

It needs to "break" or have an issue with it and then you sent or took it in for repair. You don't really have to do this, but you can tell her that you took it or sent it into a Coach store for repair and they sent it to the factory and then you were told that it wasn't "Coach Authentic" so they are keeping it. I couldn't resist - but this may be asking for more trouble with her than you need with you MIL. I am so sorry you have to deal with this. It is a shame.

Are you ready for this? It's so gross. :sad:

DSCN4495.jpg

DSCN4496.jpg

DSCN4497.jpg

DSCN4498.jpg

DSCN4499.jpg

I have had this happen to me several times ... everytime my MIL goes abroad, she always brings me back something fake. I don't like to be rude so I just say thanks and give it away later (I cut off the inside tags so they know it's a fake). I can't tell her that I don't like fakes because she'll think I'm being a snot. Sometimes it's just easier to say 'thanks' than starting a family drama;)