Mikimoto grades

limonchello

May 24, 2022
Hi, I’m planning to buy pearl studs, I decided that I want Akoya pearls in 7,5-8mm. Initially I was thinking about getting it from Tiffany, but after I created a thread asking if it’s worth it, some members suggested going to Mikimoto for pearls, it got me thinking but there is no Mikimoto where i‘m, however I have a friend who is going for vacation soon and can get it for me. So he is the questio: does it worth going above grade A? I read that Mikimoto pearls are top 5%, so even lowest grade should be good enough. if it worth going for a higher grade, what would you recommend? thanks

Reactions: Evergreen602
Congratulations on your upcoming purchase!

While Mikimoto only sells high-quality pearls, there is definitely a difference between the quality grades.

I would recommend buying the best quality that you can afford or that they have in stock.

I have had great experiences with Mikimoto both in store and also online. The quality of their products and their customer service does not disappoint!

Hi, I’m planning to buy pearl studs, I decided that I want Akoya pearls in 7,5-8mm. Initially I was thinking about getting it from Tiffany, but after I created a thread asking if it’s worth it, some members suggested going to Mikimoto for pearls, it got me thinking but there is no Mikimoto where i‘m, however I have a friend who is going for vacation soon and can get it for me. So he is the questio: does it worth going above grade A? I read that Mikimoto pearls are top 5%, so even lowest grade should be good enough. if it worth going for a higher grade, what would you recommend? thanks
I had exactly the same questions a few years ago when I was looking to purchase pearl studs. Like you, I initially considered Tiffany, but my research led me to Mikimoto. I knew I would probably want 7-7.5mm studs in AA or AAA quality. A few months later I was able to visit Mikimoto in Las Vegas. I saw each grade side by side. While all were beautiful, the difference between grades was easily discernible. I also determined the 7mm size was more than sufficient for everyday wear. I ended up purchasing the 7mm in AAA quality. They are probably my most worn earrings since purchasing them.

If you plan to wear your pearl studs frequently, I would say the highest quality is worth it. The price difference will not be noticeable when you factor cost per wear.

I had exactly the same questions a few years ago when I was looking to purchase pearl studs. Like you, I initially considered Tiffany, but my research led me to Mikimoto. I knew I would probably want 7-7.5mm studs in AA or AAA quality. A few months later I was able to visit Mikimoto in Las Vegas. I saw each grade side by side. While all were beautiful, the difference between grades was easily discernible. I also determined the 7mm size was more than sufficient for everyday wear. I ended up purchasing the 7mm in AAA quality. They are probably my most worn earrings since purchasing them.

If you plan to wear your pearl studs frequently, I would say the highest quality is worth it. The price difference will not be noticeable when you factor cost per wear.
Thanks, I also thought about sizing down to 7mm and going for AAA quality, glad you confirmed that it’s sufficient for everyday use. One more question, did you choose yellow gold or white gold? I’m honestly confused why the choice is even offered because it’s not the back and not visible to anyone, nevertheless it got me thinking which gold to pick.

Thanks, I also thought about sizing down to 7mm and going for AAA quality, glad you confirmed that it’s sufficient for everyday use. One more question, did you choose yellow gold or white gold? I’m honestly confused why the choice is even offered because it’s not the back and not visible to anyone, nevertheless it got me thinking which gold to pick.
I went with white gold, mostly because I prefer white gold with gemstones and pearls. Like you said, the metal is not really visible, except maybe if you have very short hair or wear it up. I would probably choose based on what metal I would wear if it were visible - say if you decide to add a pearl necklace or other coordinating jewelry later on.

Regarding size, it would be helpful to try on pearl studs at any jeweler to confirm what works best for you. I happened to find that 7mm, and even slightly smaller, works best with my features.

I bought 7.5-8mm Akoya studs from Mikimoto in January.

I also liked the 7-7.5 studs, but I might want a strand in the future so I tried on strands too and the larger strand size was much better on me, so that’s why I got the larger studs.

As others have stated, the difference between grades is very easy to see when they are next to each other on the tray. However i felt like the difference was less noticeable when wearing the studs. The balance of budget and beauty for me was to get A+ grade. AA or higher would be more beautiful for sure, but the extra cost wasn’t worth it for me.

In short:
- if you might want a strand necklace in the future, think about the size for that when purchasing your studs
- look at the different grades in your ear, not just on the tray

I bought 7.5-8mm Akoya studs from Mikimoto in January.

I also liked the 7-7.5 studs, but I might want a strand in the future so I tried on strands too and the larger strand size was much better on me, so that’s why I got the larger studs.

As others have stated, the difference between grades is very easy to see when they are next to each other on the tray. However i felt like the difference was less noticeable when wearing the studs. The balance of budget and beauty for me was to get A+ grade. AA or higher would be more beautiful for sure, but the extra cost wasn’t worth it for me.

In short:
- if you might want a strand necklace in the future, think about the size for that when purchasing your studs
- look at the different grades in your ear, not just on the tray
Thanks, i might want strand in the future too do strands come at different grades too? and is it obvious if studs and strand are in different grades?

Congratulations on your upcoming purchase!

While Mikimoto only sells high-quality pearls, there is definitely a difference between the quality grades.

I would recommend buying the best quality that you can afford or that they have in stock.

I have had great experiences with Mikimoto both in store and also online. The quality of their products and their customer service does not disappoint!
Hi. I was wondering if there was an Authenticate Mikimoto thread here? I have purchased earrings in an authentic box but the earrings don’t have any hallmarks of gold or brand. Only the backs

I’m interested in getting studs and a strand. I don’t have a store near me. On the website, I can order Akoya AAA studs but the options for strand is A or A+. Should I get a set or buy the AAA studs and a A+ strand? Will it look off when worn together?

I’ve gone with friends to mikimoto. When she tried on AAA and AA strands, we all preferred the AA bc they were less silvery
And had a warmer undertone. Pearls are very personal, and I wouldn’t order them on line. There is also an enormous price differential, so I would endeavor to try in person.

If one wanted an exact match in a set, I would buy them together. Bc the undertones are quite different.

@DR2014 , @jp824 , @DoggieBags , may have opinions on this too :smile:

I’m interested in getting studs and a strand. I don’t have a store near me. On the website, I can order Akoya AAA studs but the options for strand is A or A+. Should I get a set or buy the AAA studs and a A+ strand? Will it look off when worn together?
AAA is the best quality. And it's like Mikimoto's signature. Even though other companies might state their top grade is as good as Miki's AAA, it's not. The pearls in Mikimoto have the clear transparent feel to it.

If you can afford it and buy the lower grading, you might want to upgrade later or regret later so don't compromise. Buy AAA in singles strand and the studs.

Pearls got harvested every year. My Mikimoto SA confirmed this so don't panic buy the lower grade. You will get the AAA pearls. People are panic buying now just like people are hoarding salt in the supermarket.