Mikimoto A+ and Freshadama, side by side

FlgirlFM

O.G.
Jul 17, 2006
Each strand is beautiful and it is slightly like comparing apples to oranges (saltwater akoya to freshwater) but I wanted to show how well the $280 Freshadama strand stacks up to a $4600 Mikimoto strand.

Both are 7-7.5mm.

The Freshadama strand shows orient and the Miki's show luster. The Miki's have slightly more of a rose overtone.

Enjoy!

20090422-DSC_1839.jpg

Oct 17, 2006
I find that it is difficult to show the difference with photos, no matter how powerful your digital camera is. The difference is much more pronounced in real life. Wonder if you were to have one and only one strand, which would you rather buy and why?

FlgirlFM

O.G.
Jul 17, 2006
Actually, the difference is less pronounced in real life. The camera really picks up the color difference and the luster difference.

I am not sure I could pick just one. The Freshadama pearls make a great everyday necklace. Because they are freshwater, there is no concern of nacre wearing thin because the entire pearl is nacre. Akoyas, of course, are bead nucleated and the nacre builds over the bead. Akoya pearls are not good for everyday, IMO, if you want to pass them down generation to generation.

I love the Miki's because they are Mikis. However, I would have a very hard time paying the retail price for Mikimoto when there are so many other (maybe better) options. The Miki's aren't mine, BTW. They are from a friend's jewelry store. I have temporary custody. :smile:

Ultimately, one strand of each would be perfect, plus a strand of white rice pearls for casual days. Plus, of course, Tahitians...south sea...colored...lol.

xegbl

Shopaholic
O.G.
Jun 6, 2007
Which overtone is the Freshadama in? If you get it in the rose overtone, it might be more similar to the Miki's colors? I've been deliberating getting a strand of the Freshadama's but not sure of the size...

FlgirlFM

O.G.
Jul 17, 2006
My Freshadama strand has rose overtones, but it doesn't show up in my picture. I love the 7-8mm for everyday, but I am only 5'2". I am sure I could comfortably wear 8-9 everyday as well, but I have some 9-10 pearls that I find a bit bulky and tend to reserve for evening. It really boils down to personal preference. I believe Callaire likes to wear her pearls larger.

callire

Sep 4, 2006
My Freshadama strand has rose overtones, but it doesn't show up in my picture. I love the 7-8mm for everyday, but I am only 5'2". I am sure I could comfortably wear 8-9 everyday as well, but I have some 9-10 pearls that I find a bit bulky and tend to reserve for evening. It really boils down to personal preference. I believe Callaire likes to wear her pearls larger.

I do indeed! But I'm 5'7" and I have super wide shoulders, so 6-7mm look like seed pearls on me. :P I wear 7-8mm most of the time though, but I've been slowly trying to increase the size. I've got 11mm baroques coming soon though! Yum.

xegbl

Shopaholic
O.G.
Jun 6, 2007
Thanks for the feedback on the size, FlgirlFM... Yes, I would also like to get bigger pearls but like u, i'm petite, juz 5'0.... so I imagine if I get too big ones, it will look something like Buddha... LOL

dreamdoll

ღ la vie est belle★☆
Feb 29, 2008
FlgirlFM - Beautiful photo!! Thanks for sharing!!
I just received my first pair of 9mm akoyas, and they look amazing...was thinking of getting a strand of freshadamas as well, and I just might after looking at your picture, for daily use...I like to wear my pearls larger even though I'm petite, 9mm is perfect for me!

Like callire, I can't wait to get my strand of 11mm baroques too!! :heart:

callire

Sep 4, 2006
FlgirlFM - Beautiful photo!! Thanks for sharing!!
I just received my first pair of 9mm akoyas, and they look amazing...was thinking of getting a strand of freshadamas as well, and I just might after looking at your picture, for daily use...I like to wear my pearls larger even though I'm petite, 9mm is perfect for me!

Like callire, I can't wait to get my strand of 11mm baroques too!! :heart:

The only thing I'm worried about with the strand is the length though. Hopefully I can pull off 60 glorious inches of 11mm! :yahoo:

edit: I also think that we become more comfortable wearing larger pearls as we go along... I keep wanting to upgrade the size of my studs!

asphalt

Feb 4, 2009
Each strand is beautiful and it is slightly like comparing apples to oranges (saltwater akoya to freshwater) but I wanted to show how well the $280 Freshadama strand stacks up to a $4600 Mikimoto strand.

Both are 7-7.5mm.

The Freshadama strand shows orient and the Miki's show luster. The Miki's have slightly more of a rose overtone.

Enjoy!

20090422-DSC_1839.jpg
The pearls on the Mikimoto strand look much more evenly spaced to me. Does anyone else notice this or am I just seeing things?