might sound stupid but....made in china? since when?

nielnielniel

Lovin the British!
O.G.
May 12, 2009
I just realised the one that I ordered from the website is made in china...wtf? I thought Mulberry proud themselves for making everything within England? since when?? I knew it was too good to be true with globalisation and cost cutting measure.....

I believe it is since 2003. Gloves and shoes etc are made in Italy, cashmere and wool scarves in Scotland, and some wallets and purses are EEC (country non-specific).

I bought My olive rosie at 2006 which is made in China as well, I was quite surprised too :wtf:

I've sent email to Mulberry before and they replied me as below:

Thank you for your email which has been forwarded to me by Jill.

As much as we would like to manufacture everything in the UK, production capacity is limited and there is a need for some products to be manufactured outside the country. Our Rookery factory in Somerset is the only luxury bag factory remaining in the UK. We have increased the manufacturing capacity of the Rookery by approximately 100%, however this is still not sufficient to service all the demand for our products. We therefore also manufacture products with carefully selected partners outside the UK including factories in Turkey and China because it produces the best quality that we have found in our world wide search for the best. All factories use the same premium materials and components, and our Somerset based quality team makes regular visits to all sites.

We feel that the key factor defining the authentic Mulberry product is our attention to detail, quality materials and our classic English designs. We believe that we owe it to our customers to research and use the very best manufacturing facilities, no matter where in the world they are. All staff in all our facilities are trained to meet our stringent standards of workmanship, and we always strive to ensure that our customers receive the highest quality product and the best service available regardless of where their bag is made.

We are proud of our designs and products and are genuinely trying to produce special products for our customers to enjoy.

All my bags are made variously in China and Turkey. However, my Bays clutch (which I shall be FINALLY getting my sticky mitts on in exactly a weeks' time!) is made in England. Is it just me, or does the quality seem a little better on the English made bags? They're ALL beautifully made of course, but when I inspected the clutch before dh whisked it away the leather felt thicker and it smelled even more delicious than my others did when new.

Off topic..Niel, I love your Viktor & Rolf shirt, the one you wore in your modelling pic with your Bayswater. I love Viktor & Rolf! I have one of their black dresses, the silk one with 2 bows at the front. They made amazing clothes, don't they!

Still off topic..my dress was purchased from a sale, hence it was 50% off. yep, their clothes are indeed freakingly expensive. In normal circumstance, I wouldn't be able to afford it :biggrin:

Very off topic...did you get yours from yoox? They really need to hurry up on the distributors....their stuff is so hard to come by...and there's none in my country....