Might be good news for those worried about mRNA vaccines.

Hurrem1001

O.G.
Mar 24, 2009
Has anyone heard about the new vaccine that’s just past the third test phase for COVID-19? It’s more akin to an old vaccine, in that it’s deactivated parts of the virus injected, and not an mMRA vaccine. The tests done so far had about 27% of people who were over 65, and roughly 40% of people had comorbidities. It showed 100% efficacy in preventing moderate to severe disease. There’s about a 90% efficacy rate with preventing symptomatic COVID-19. Moreover, the side-effects were significantly less than the other vaccines. The company is an American one called Novavax.
Here’s a link for all the information for those interested:-

Last edited:
Tbh with all the mutations (aka different variants of the virus) I think it is great that research continues and there are different vaccines available, especially since some people have allergies can't can't take one vaccine, another one might work for them.

I certainly wasn't arguing that vaccine innovation should stop. I was moreso thinking that if someone's excuse for not getting vaccinated is that they're scared of the mRNA technology, then they already have an option so it's a moot point. Basically, I was responding to the title of the post.

Reactions: arcaedia and etudes
I certainly wasn't arguing that vaccine innovation should stop. I was moreso thinking that if someone's excuse for not getting vaccinated is that they're scared of the mRNA technology, then they already have an option so it's a moot point. Basically, I was responding to the title of the post.

Your phrasing made it sound like there is another vaccine already, that's why I replied that I think it is wonderful that there will be more. I lost a dear friend who couldn't be vaccinated due to health reasons, she was isolating, we brought her shopping, she didn't leave her house, we were super careful to avoid contact in person and only spoke on the phone regularly, left the shopping outside and she cleaned it all, no idea how she caught it, it might have been a letter posted to her, I have no idea, last thing we heard was that she called an ambulance after feeling sick and having breathing problems, she died on the way to the hospital. I am torn between being grateful that it was quick and devastated that she died....

Reactions: arcaedia

Well that’s great for those who have access to the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. For myself, and millions and millions of others in many countries, we do not have the luxury of having access to it. So no, it isn’t a moot point.
Also, from what I’ve been told, they plan on shipping it to many countries where vaccines haven’t yet been available, or there just aren’t enough for the population.

Your phrasing made it sound like there is another vaccine already, that's why I replied that I think it is wonderful that there will be more. I lost a dear friend who couldn't be vaccinated due to health reasons, she was isolating, we brought her shopping, she didn't leave her house, we were super careful to avoid contact in person and only spoke on the phone regularly, left the shopping outside and she cleaned it all, no idea how she caught it, it might have been a letter posted to her, I have no idea, last thing we heard was that she called an ambulance after feeling sick and having breathing problems, she died on the way to the hospital. I am torn between being grateful that it was quick and devastated that she died....

So sorry for your loss cling to the former thought the less pain and suffering the better and think of her at peace and out of suffering and pain for all eternity

Reactions: Gabs007

Yes, there is another vaccine already. That's exactly what I was saying. But, I never said that there shouldn't be more vaccines...

Well that’s great for those who have access to the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. For myself, and millions and millions of others in many countries, we do not have the luxury of having access to it. So no, it isn’t a moot point.
Also, from what I’ve been told, they plan on shipping it to many countries where vaccines haven’t yet been available.

The article you linked says it's a US company and a US vaccine, so I don't see how it's any different from the Johnson and Johnson vaccine, which the US has been sending overseas to at least Mexico: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/u-s-sending-1-35-million-doses-j-j-vaccine-n1270820

And, the president has not announced any plans to distribute this vaccine, given that it's not approved yet?, unless I missed it.

Again, not arguing that this company shouldn't be developing this vaccine. Just saying that the title of this post is misleading.

There are other candidates for non-mRNA vaccines in other countries: https://www.who.int/publications/m/item/draft-landscape-of-covid-19-candidate-vaccines

So sorry for your loss cling to the former thought the less pain and suffering the better and think of her at peace and out of suffering and pain for all eternity

She was only 35, younger than I am, apart from some health issues so full of life and ever so careful, you're right, I am glad she didn't die lonely on a ventilator, but it is still like punch in the stomach

Yes, there is another vaccine already. That's exactly what I was saying. But, I never said that there shouldn't be more vaccines...

The article you linked says it's a US company and a US vaccine, so I don't see how it's any different from the Johnson and Johnson vaccine, which the US has been sending overseas to at least Mexico: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/u-s-sending-1-35-million-doses-j-j-vaccine-n1270820

And, the president has not announced any plans to distribute this vaccine, given that it's not approved yet?, unless I missed it.

Again, not arguing that this company shouldn't be developing this vaccine. Just saying that the title of this post is misleading.

There are other candidates for non-mRNA vaccines in other countries: https://www.who.int/publications/m/item/draft-landscape-of-covid-19-candidate-vaccines

Go back and read what I wrote at the bottom of my first reply to you. Yes, it is a US company, but I don’t know what that has to do with it. I’m not from the USA, I don’t live in the USA, and there’s many people on tPF that don’t live in the USA. Oh, and nor do I live in Mexico. This message was for the people who live in nearly 200 countries worldwide. The J & J vaccine is not available worldwide, far from it. Whereas with this vaccine, once approved, apparently the company is going to make a concerted effort to reach many poorer nations… not just those of you in wealthy nations, or in the West.

Last edited:
Go back and read what I wrote at the bottom of my first reply to you. Yes, it is a US company, but I don’t know what that has to do with it. I’m not from America, I don’t live America, and there’s many people on tPF that don’t live in America. This message was for the people who live in nearly 200 countries in the world. The J & J vaccine is not available worldwide, far from it. Whereas with this vaccine, once approved, apparently the company is going to make a concerted effort to reach many poorer nations… not just those of you in wealthy nations, or in the West.

The Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccine is being made available to everyone at cost no huge profits being made like with the US vaccines half of the UK like me and all my family have gladly been injected with it yet many countries are refusing to use the supplies they have been gifted

The Uk has ordered the following vaccines A0F7F920-5050-4C66-A2BA-E5B63F409154.png

The Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccine is being made available to everyone at cost no huge profits being made like with the US vaccines half of the UK like me and all my family have gladly been injected with it yet many countries are refusing to use the supplies they have been gifted

The Uk has ordered the following vaccines View attachment 5156616

Agreed. However, I’m not referring to an mRNA vaccine, and I believe all of those (apart from the Novavax one I’m talking about which hasn’t been approved yet) shown are. I might be wrong, but I don’t think so. I just wanted to make others, in similar nations to mine aware that an alternative has passed its phase three testing, and this company has plans on offering it to poorer nations if it gets approved.

Gabs, I just wanted to say I’m so bloody sorry about your friend. I know words are useless, but I have nothing else to offer you by way of comfort. She died way too young. May she Rest In Peace.

Reactions: elvisfan4life