Microsoft Vista

i'm typing on a MacBook Pro now because i hate Vista so much.

I was always a Windows girl, and i thought Mac people were silly and snooty. I had always used Windows machines, and got an XP laptop when i went to college and loved that machine to death. It lasted 3 years and then the motherboard started to go, so I figured I'd upgrade to a new machine and the new operating system (this was in April - Vista came out about 3 months prior).

I work at Best Buy, so I got the advice of all of our computer guys, picked out my laptop, and was very excited...for about half an hour. Although my computer had excellent specs (WAY MORE than recommended for Vista) and I had our Geek Squad guys tweak it to run faster, Vista was nothing but slow, buggy, and frustrating. It would close programs randomly, freeze, and completely restart without warning, and my computer always sounded like it was a jet engine about to take off, even when it was just sitting, closed, not being used. It really freaked my roommate out, because it would randomly start making noises, even when I hadn't been in the apartment for hours.

Vista is a very passive program, meaning it runs a lot of processes in the background, so it's a memory hog even when it's idle (which is why it would start making noise even when I wasn't home). Try to multitask, and I was screwed, even thought my computer's specs were EXCELLENT.

Add the slowness on top of the bugs (which I couldn't get rid of, no matter how much troubleshooting and update-downloading I did), and I just couldn't take it any more after 6 months. I'm very computer literate, and I just couldn't make Vista work for me.

I also absolutely hated Office 2007, I found it completely non-intuitive and frustrating.

I love my MacBook Pro, and I do my best to avoid as many Microsoft programs as possible since my experience with Vista. I have Office for Mac, but I only use it when I know I'll have to open the file on a non-Mac in the future. Other than that, it's iWork for me.

ps. vista gives me problems all the time. it constantly freezes, shuts down, you name it, it does it...and it brand new. oh joy.

SAME HERE!! this is actually my second laptop in only a few months...my first one, with vista, completely stopped working..it wouldn't even turn on -__-. So i sent it to HP and they ended up giving me a new laptop....and now this laptop...oy i pray the same problem won't happen again. Within the past week, i just got it back on monday, it froze on me like 5 times...maybe it's cause i'm not using it right?? but i don't see how that's possible...shrug

I wouldn't say that I hate vista, but I don't really like it. I wish that my DH wouldn't have upgraded my laptop to it, it runs so much slower than it used to (even after upgrading the memory). My favorite thing has to be that office freezes on me all the time and it won't allow me to print (only from office). Anytime I need to print an office document I have to load it on my flash drive and plug it into my DH's desktop, then print. We turned the wonderful automatic updates off after what happened with XP and the lovely service pack 2 upgrade. XP was such a good operating system until that damn update was released.

I have a friend who works for Microsoft and he doesn't even recommend getting Vista until the service pack has been released.

I agree that Office 2007 is weird. I had trouble finding my way around, but I just got it so I can't say if I have any problems with it yet.

I'm still using XP on all of my computers. My laptop is dual boot with Ubuntu Linux which is absolutely beautiful. It has all of the animations you get in Vista and then some. It also runs blazingly fast and practically upgrades itself without any fuss.

My husband worked for MS for 9 years and he hates Vista. He will only use Win XP Pro on our computers. He says Vista is too unstable and conflicts horribly with other applications.

I have had some problems with mine. What I don't like is that my computer at work is XP and I have Vista at home. Apparently, it's almost impossible to share files.

I have tried to email my Vista files to my work PC. I can't do it. The email option doesn't even come up.

If I try to email from work to home, I can't open it on my home computer.

I don't know what the problem is, but I like to send work from my office to my home computer so that I can work at home sometimes. It's not working out at all.

I have friends that are installing the XP over their Vista systems. I'm seriously thinking about it too.

I get errors every now and then that says things like email not responding and it just disappears. Also, I have Premium Vista, and once in a while I'll get a message that comes up and says switching to basic Vista. What is that? What does that mean? Crazy weird things at times. I never had this with XP. I think the XP is more user friendly and not as finicky. JMO.

For those of you who have this new operating system..what do you think of it? I'm not sure if I'm 100% happy with mine. I'm thinking about downgrading it to XP.....any reviews/advice?? TIA :flowers:
IT sucks!
I have a daul boot operating system on my desktop, trying to get myself used to vista and its a pita. I have issue with most of my programs I use. My scanner has no drivers for vista. I hate how windows open and its a memory hog.

Every now and again i'll boot into vista just trying to get use to it but after a bit it annoys me and i reboot into xp.