Tech Microsoft PowerPoint / Excel Help?

DB2329

Apr 14, 2009
Hello Everyone! Not sure if I am posting this in the wrong section but here goes....

A new part of my job requirement I am now asked to make monthly portfolio presentations. I am up against people who have years of analytical presentation skills and M.B.A's. My Powerpoint / Excel skills are VERY RUSTY. Can anyone help with a site or a book that I can use to help me step up my game?

TIA :jrs:

i am probably no help at all, but google can be your best friend!! :smile:
and i wouldn't worry too much about power point... i have to deal with people who have been making powerpoints presentations for many many years... and theirs still look like crap.

PowerPoint is actually very easy and fun to use. Once you open PP, click on New and choose the tab Presentations. There are several you can choose from to get you started, or at least to practice. There is even a presentation titled "Introducing PowerPoint 2007". You add text just by typing, plus PP helps you along. For example, the first page says "Click to add title" and you can also add a subtitle. To add another slide, just go to "insert" and you can add pictures, clip art, etc.

Also, on your toolbar you'll see the Design tab, there you can choose from various designs.

Just play around with it and have fun. There should be numerous tutorials just as the others have suggested by Googling. It's really hard to explain over this forum, but should you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

I agree with lori to try finding a class if an instructor/group setting is more appealing to you than finding online tutorials.

If your company has a tried & true or company standard powerpoint template then you're already way ahead of the game.

What do you need to do with Excel? Is it basic summing up of numbers or more advanced things like creating pivot tables?

OP, are you pretty good with MS Word? If so, you really should be able pick up PP pretty quickly, since you're really just typing text in a box and inserting clipart/photos. If you are not very technically savvy, then I do agree a class might be the best for you, but I'd try and do it on your own before spending money on a class. I'm happy to help, just PM me.

:smile: Thanks...I did google...but figured I'd ask on the forums as well since everyone is very helpful!

I dunno...I deal with Excel, Access, SQL, PL/SQL, VBScript, etc, Oracle, and I've almost always found my answer by searching. Google and Google groups.

If you have a specific question that you can't seem to find an answer to, ask here.

PowerPoint is actually very easy and fun to use. Once you open PP, click on New and choose the tab Presentations. There are several you can choose from to get you started, or at least to practice. There is even a presentation titled "Introducing PowerPoint 2007". You add text just by typing, plus PP helps you along. For example, the first page says "Click to add title" and you can also add a subtitle. To add another slide, just go to "insert" and you can add pictures, clip art, etc.

Also, on your toolbar you'll see the Design tab, there you can choose from various designs.

Just play around with it and have fun. There should be numerous tutorials just as the others have suggested by Googling. It's really hard to explain over this forum, but should you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Thank you ! I will be sure to reach out to you if I need help :hugs:

I agree with lori to try finding a class if an instructor/group setting is more appealing to you than finding online tutorials.

If your company has a tried & true or company standard powerpoint template then you're already way ahead of the game.

What do you need to do with Excel? Is it basic summing up of numbers or more advanced things like creating pivot tables?

Pursegrrl unfortunately it's more advanced things like pivot tables......I have the basics down of summing / graphs but when it comes to the more advanced features I'm lost. I will look into finding a class!