Microneedling

Tiare

zOMG sales!
O.G.
Jul 5, 2007
Hello all, just wondering if anyone here has had experience with this procedure. Since having two kids (and barely using any skincare for 4 years between the two of them,) my face has suffered the consequences. My pores are larger than they have ever been and I have a few deep acne scars from some bad post-partum breakouts.

I'd also love if someone has suggestions for a great place to have it done in the midwest/Chicago area.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: MariaJake87
Hello all, just wondering if anyone here has had experience with this procedure. Since having two kids (and barely using any skincare for 4 years between the two of them,) my face has suffered the consequences. My pores are larger than they have ever been and I have a few deep acne scars from some bad post-partum breakouts.

I'd also love if someone has suggestions for a great place to have it done in the midwest/Chicago area.

Thanks in advance!
I had two sessions and did not see a visible difference, although my doctor did recommend a series of 4 spaced apart. The procedure itself was painless, but my face was quite tender and I peeled for 5 days or so after (much longer than I expected) and it wasn't pretty. I had better results with chemical peels, but that could just be me :smile:

Reactions: absolutpink
Thanks for your response! Did you get a "superficial" type microneedling or the long kind where it goes deep enough to cause bleeding? I'm not sure of the needle depths to ask that way.

I had two sessions and did not see a visible difference, although my doctor did recommend a series of 4 spaced apart. The procedure itself was painless, but my face was quite tender and I peeled for 5 days or so after (much longer than I expected) and it wasn't pretty. I had better results with chemical peels, but that could just be me :smile:

I did 6 sessions, 1 month apart from each session. I started in august, and its been 7 months. Overall myself and friends have seen texture improvement. My main concern going in was to treat acne scars which i saw improvement but not enough. I will continue going for another 3 and hope my scars reduce further. Btw, i did microneedling with prp, at depth 0.8mm to 1.2mm . I will ask my aesthetician to go deeper, probably 1.5 on my acne scars. It cost me about USD200 per treatment, but im in asia, the price might be lower compared to in the states.

Medical microneedling depends on how you heal. Please make sure you do it with a professional. I made the mistake of not doing my research and ended up with someone who gave me skin damage the first 2x I did it. I found a better practitioner but I did not see much improvement until after the 4th treatment, and even so, it is very, very minimal (maybe 5-10%). If you have poor healing and very dry skin, I would not recommend this procedure as the downtime and results do not justify the price tag. You will need a series of sessions, some even need 10 to see significant improvement.

Another suggestion, depending on what your doctor recommends, is doing laser on your face. I use laser for large pores and skin discoloration. I've been going for three years and my doctor said that if you're lasering you don't need to add micro needling unless you've let your skin go for many years.

I wanted to get Microneedling, but wasn’t sure which doctor should I choose. So I decided to consult with Melinda Farina. She is a beauty broker. She made me go to a very expensive doctor, but she’s done it in a smart way telling about all of his advantages and disadvantages of others. She is a scammer, the doctor want worth it!

I just had my first session done yesterday, so I can’t speak for long-term results. But I chose it vs chemical peel or laser due to lower price, it’s less invasive and less healing time. Unlike others posting here, I’m only planning on doing one treatment, maybe two max, just to see a slight lessening in acne hyperpigmentation and fine lines. I’m not trying to erase imperfections, just turn back the clock a year or two ;)

From my research, it sounds like pockmark acne scars do require several treatments in order to see a difference. Enlarged pores likewise may require more treatments, but I find the large pores on my nose are also helped significantly (though temporarily!) with a good mask or facial.

As for the treatment itself, I didn’t experience any pain, though it did feel like a slight sunburn afterward. She went deep enough that was micro-bleeding. Today it’s tight and pink. I have olive oily skin so I’m likely to tolerate this a lot better than those with dry fair skin. I’ve also recently added a Vitamin C and hyaluronic acid serum to my skincare regime and think that’s going to help too.

I’d recommend you check out facial treatment options on the Real Self forum - there are tons of reviews and pictures there. And links to providers in your area.

After seeing so many great results (on Instagram and medspa websites) from professionally done microneedling, I am very sad to see so many lackluster impressions in this thread. I thought it was going to be something which was universally "life changing" for most people who have had it done.

I do have thick, oily skin, so, perhaps if I get it done I will see some good results. I will check out the website you mention, thank you so much!

I just had my first session done yesterday, so I can’t speak for long-term results. But I chose it vs chemical peel or laser due to lower price, it’s less invasive and less healing time. Unlike others posting here, I’m only planning on doing one treatment, maybe two max, just to see a slight lessening in acne hyperpigmentation and fine lines. I’m not trying to erase imperfections, just turn back the clock a year or two ;)

From my research, it sounds like pockmark acne scars do require several treatments in order to see a difference. Enlarged pores likewise may require more treatments, but I find the large pores on my nose are also helped significantly (though temporarily!) with a good mask or facial.

As for the treatment itself, I didn’t experience any pain, though it did feel like a slight sunburn afterward. She went deep enough that was micro-bleeding. Today it’s tight and pink. I have olive oily skin so I’m likely to tolerate this a lot better than those with dry fair skin. I’ve also recently added a Vitamin C and hyaluronic acid serum to my skincare regime and think that’s going to help too.

I’d recommend you check out facial treatment options on the Real Self forum - there are tons of reviews and pictures there. And links to providers in your area.

After seeing so many great results (on Instagram and medspa websites) from professionally done microneedling, I am very sad to see so many lackluster impressions in this thread. I thought it was going to be something which was universally "life changing" for most people who have had it done.

I do have thick, oily skin, so, perhaps if I get it done I will see some good results. I will check out the website you mention, thank you so much!

Yes, definitely check out Real Self....I think more reliable and relevant for beauty procedures than this forum lol!

It’s day 2 post-treatment for me and my skin is almost back to normal...still a bit tight but the redness is gone. I know true results won’t be seen for a few more weeks as the healing process happens but it seems to me my dark spots are already a bit fainter and lines less deep. Think it’s going to be worth it!

Good luck!

So it’s only day 3 post-treatment (so I know not representative of final results) but I just wanted to share positive news. Horrendous close-up of my cheek before and now. See how much the pigmentation blotches are already reduced? Even some of the fine lines and crepey-ness on my chin is diminished. Hope this keeps up!

600A9DB1-5CA3-4720-A483-2CA41C989405.jpeg

Reactions: MariaJake87
You look great! I'd be thrilled if I had that level of improvement, especially that soon after a procedure.

So it’s only day 3 post-treatment (so I know not representative of final results) but I just wanted to share positive news. Horrendous close-up of my cheek before and now. See how much the pigmentation blotches are already reduced? Even some of the fine lines and crepey-ness on my chin is diminished. Hope this keeps up!

View attachment 4455613

You look great! I'd be thrilled if I had that level of improvement, especially that soon after a procedure.

Thank you! I’m continuing to see improvement with the dark spots, but also having a bout of breaking out which the clinician said may happen. Will take more comparison shots after a month.

Are you going to go for it?

Yes! I just need to summon my inner courage. I have a rough time picking doctors. Anything invasive and my OCD kicks in to high gear - so many phobias of germs, etc.

Thank you! I’m continuing to see improvement with the dark spots, but also having a bout of breaking out which the clinician said may happen. Will take more comparison shots after a month.

Are you going to go for it?

So...just thought I’d do an update since I’m now 2 months post-procedure. As my picture shows above, I did see some great immediate results on hyperpigmentation scars on my cheeks.

Unfortunately, as the clinician said might happen, I did experience a round of breakouts around 2-3 weeks after microneedling. If current acne is not a problem, this might not be a concern for anyone thinking about this procedure. But for me, it ended up creating a whole new batch of hyperpigmentation marks. So I just swapped old scars for new ones!

Overall, I did see noticeable improvement on wrinkles but not enough to justify the cost. I have experienced similar results by just using a good serum with AHA.

Granted, it was very clearly stated by the clinician that results improve with more treatments. But for me, where I’m at with my skin, it’s not worth it.

From my experience to anyone considering the microneedling option - do it if you are not someone prone to breakouts and be committed to the cost of multiple treatments. Otherwise, just get a good serum ;)

Reactions: USCGirlie