Michelle Williams Destiny's Child

uhpharm01

O.G.
Nov 11, 2012
Michelle Williams Reveals She and Chad Johnson Ended Their Engagement: 'Things Didn't Work Out'

https://people.com/music/michelle-williams-chad-johnson-split-end-engagement/

Michelle Williams has revealed that her engagement to pastor Chad Johnson is off.

The 38-year-old Destiny’s Child singer made the announcement in a since-deleted Instagram Story post on Friday morning — the same day she dropped her latest single, “Fearless.”

“I still remain fearless,” she wrote in simple white text on a black background. “I guess I still remain single! Things didn’t work out. The healing that needs to take place is a must! I don’t wanna destroy another relationship. Blessings to him, his family and ministry. #FEARLESS”

Reps for Williams didn’t immediately return PEOPLE’s request for comment.

Williams and Johnson, 40, announced their engagement exclusively to PEOPLE in April.

The couple met in March 2017 at an Arizona spiritual retreat run by Johnson, a life coach who has also worked as a chaplain for pro sports teams including the Pittsburgh Steelers and L.A. Dodgers.

“I was in a horrible, dark place,” Williams previously told PEOPLE. (She had recently opened up about a cheating ex on The Real.) “I just needed to go somewhere where I could get a message of hope and restoration, rejuvenation — get connected to God.” They immediately bonded over their faith, and Johnson popped the question a year later.

“I was so shocked! I was weeping and wailing,” Williams said during an interview with Good Morning America at the time. “He proposed to me in Pebble Beach at this beautiful resort and I was crying so loud that people were turning around, going back to their rooms and stuff, they weren’t coming to the restaurant because they were like, ‘Did she just find out something he did bad? What happened?'” she added.

But their relationship hit a major snag when Williams broke off the engagement — twice — in the weeks after Johnson popped the question. Three months later, she was hospitalized and subsequently entered a treatment facility for severe depression.

“I’m assuming a lot of relationships go through a period of time where one or more people get overwhelmed,” she told PEOPLE in October. “You don’t even know what it’s like to have real love because I’ve had to fight so much in past relationships: fight to have a place, fight for you to see me, fight for you to love me, fight for you to be faithful. In this relationship I didn’t have to do that, but I was so ready to fight.”

Though the singer tried to push Johnson away, he supported Williams through her time in the hospital and treatment, and they underwent intense individual and premarital counseling.

The couple starred in the unscripted reality series Chad Loves Michelle, which premiered on the Oprah Winfrey Network in early November. The show offered fans an intimate look into their relationship as they entered pre-marital counseling and managed Williams’ mental health struggles.

“Don’t lose hope in love,” Williams previously told PEOPLE. “I do think you should not focus so much that if you’re not in love that you get depressed about it. I was in a place where I was like, I’m just going to focus on my career and my family and just keep it moving. I started taking myself out; I started traveling by myself, to the point where I loved being by myself.”

“Just don’t lose hope. But definitely be doing what you can do to make yourself a better person for the person that possibly is on the way for the way for you,” she added.

On Doctor’s Orders, Michelle Williams Steps Away From Broadway Musical
https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/on-doctor-s-orders-michelle-williams-steps-away-from-b-1831080033

Michelle Williams is taking a leave of absence from her role as Erzulie in the Broadway musical Once on This Island, on the advice of her doctors. As Newsweek reports, the news was shared in a statement from the play’s showrunners, who announced on Wednesday that Williams’ leave of absence was “effective immediately.”

Understudy Cassondra James will step in for Williams until Dec. 26, after which Lea Salonga will take over the role until the show ends on Jan. 6, Newsweek writes.

ad

The announcement didn’t make clear why Williams’ doctors ordered her to step away from the play, nor has Williams herself spoken out about her exit. However, it’s been a trying year for Williams, who recently went through a very public split from her pastor fiance, Chad Johnson.

Williams has also spoken on several occasions about her ongoing struggles with depression, which got particularly dire this year around the time of her guest performance at Coachella (where she appeared alongside her former Destiny’s Child squad, Beyoncé and Kelly Rowland). Williams told People magazine that throughout the year of preparation for the performance, “I was burying it, and before you knew it, I was looking up out of the pit like, ‘Oh my God.’”

Williams also made it clear that finding love had no bearing on her depression.

“I thought, ‘I’m good! I’ve got love. I’m working out,’” she said. “But I was so angry. The rage built up in me. I did not attempt suicide, but I was questioning [life].”

It’s hard to capture or overstate how hard it is to deal with depression; how much it permeates the most mundane facets of one’s everyday life. It’s even more difficult to imagine what that struggle looks like in the public eye, under which Michelle Williams has lived and toiled for almost 20 years.

Our thoughts are with her.

I watched the reality show and it was cringeworthy.
Her fiance' was garbage! In one scene after she was released from treatment they were arguing and he asked her 'did you take your meds'. Totally insensitive. His family seemed a bit racist, he dropped Beyonce's name a bit much and just seems like a moocher.
I really hope she get the help she needs and is surrounded by people that have her best interest at heart

I watched the reality show and it was cringeworthy.
Her fiance' was garbage! In one scene after she was released from treatment they were arguing and he asked her 'did you take your meds'. Totally insensitive. His family seemed a bit racist, he dropped Beyonce's name a bit much and just seems like a moocher.
I really hope she get the help she needs and is surrounded by people that have her best interest at heart
and that guy is a preacher. SMH.