Food Michelin restaurants

the last time I was there, I just ordered the meat fruit appetizer (extra grilled bread) and a side of triple cooked chips. Heavy carbs but so comforting.
Adore this and will do it next time. sadly I then worked through other dishes that I was way too full to appreciate. Everything was a fog after meat fruit (i think our table ordered duck, squab, steak and fish) until tipsy pineapple cake.

Join others in finding Daniel disappointing/inconsistent. It used to be a favorite. Le Pavilion is much better, although I still feel odd having dinner in an office building atrium :shrug: (doesn't speak highly of Daniel that it is nevertheless more comfortable than their dining room). Doesn't seem like anyone has mentioned some of my NYC favorites yet, so:

The Modern ** I very much enjoy how low key it is. This is one of our go-tos for when we want good food but not "a fancy dinner." Cocktails in the barroom are also fun, but it's a bit too crowded/noisy for me post COVID.

Casa Enrique * In Queens so I don't get there often but it is SO good. Very, very relaxed atmosphere and great cocktails. Not Michelin starred, but for good Mexican food closer I am a fan of Cosme (Atla, their sister restaurant is Bib, but I find it too cramped. I like good food in a chill atmosphere and Cosme definitely provides that although the food at Atla is similar I don't like the vibe as much)

Kajitsu * Amazing seasonal Japanese Vegan. The atmosphere is pretty unremarkable, but the food is outstanding. However, I haven't been since COVID and have heard it has declined a bit.

Wallse * Further downtown than I usually go, but I used to spend a lot of time in Vienna and enjoy the Austrian food. (More interesting than Batard, also *, also too far downtown for me, just straight up French). Minor gripes are that the service is a little too familiar but most importantly the food comes out way way too fast. Overall still enjoyable and worth a visit

Best for me was tasting menu at Jean Gorges in Nyc.
The food was exquisite; the service impeccable & it was a memorable event to commemorate a special occasion.

Worst was in Washington DC; food was inedible, lukewarm, zero service (not once was i asked why my plates went back uneaten) & there were couples behaving extremely inappropriately in public. It was very uncomfortable.

I would love to experience Daniel Boulud's flagship as i enjoyed La Pavillion (the chef came to meet us & he was very lovely).

Join others in finding Daniel disappointing/inconsistent. It used to be a favorite. Le Pavilion is much better, although I still feel odd having dinner in an office building atrium :shrug: (doesn't speak highly of Daniel that it is nevertheless more comfortable than their dining room). Doesn't seem like anyone has mentioned some of my NYC favorites yet, so:

The Modern ** I very much enjoy how low key it is. This is one of our go-tos for when we want good food but not "a fancy dinner." Cocktails in the barroom are also fun, but it's a bit too crowded/noisy for me post COVID.

Casa Enrique * In Queens so I don't get there often but it is SO good. Very, very relaxed atmosphere and great cocktails. Not Michelin starred, but for good Mexican food closer I am a fan of Cosme (Atla, their sister restaurant is Bib, but I find it too cramped. I like good food in a chill atmosphere and Cosme definitely provides that although the food at Atla is similar I don't like the vibe as much)

Kajitsu * Amazing seasonal Japanese Vegan. The atmosphere is pretty unremarkable, but the food is outstanding. However, I haven't been since COVID and have heard it has declined a bit.

Wallse * Further downtown than I usually go, but I used to spend a lot of time in Vienna and enjoy the Austrian food. (More interesting than Batard, also *, also too far downtown for me, just straight up French). Minor gripes are that the service is a little too familiar but most importantly the food comes out way way too fast. Overall still enjoyable and worth a visit
Ooh @Safa i was seriously thinking about Daniel. Tell me what you didn't like? The food? Service? Atmosphere?

I'm seriously burned after the place in DC that i don't want to make another error

Ooh @Safa i was seriously thinking about Daniel. Tell me what you didn't like? The food? Service? Atmosphere?

I'm seriously burned after the place in DC that i don't want to make another error

It’s been almost a year since I was there last. It’s really a bit of everything. The main dining room lacks character and for me (I am tall), the heights of the table and chairs are off a bit in relation to each other, so some tables in the main dining room are just plain awkward for me to eat. The food is inconsistent, sometimes outstanding, others blah. Service is friendly but sometimes also a weird mix of formal and familiar. The whole thing just felt “off” the last two times I was there. The off feeling is even weirder with the inevitable tables of massively overdressed people coming for “an occasion.” Also by imo the total lack of atmosphere. The bar is a better bet than the main dining room imo, but the food is a bit of a gamble. (It’s good, just not always great or interesting)

• Sad
Reactions: A bottle of Red
It’s been almost a year since I was there last. It’s really a bit of everything. The main dining room lacks character and for me (I am tall), the heights of the table and chairs are off a bit in relation to each other, so some tables in the main dining room are just plain awkward for me to eat. The food is inconsistent, sometimes outstanding, others blah. Service is friendly but sometimes also a weird mix of formal and familiar. The whole thing just felt “off” the last two times I was there. The off feeling is even weirder with the inevitable tables of massively overdressed people coming for “an occasion.” Also by imo the total lack of atmosphere. The bar is a better bet than the main dining room imo, but the food is a bit of a gamble. (It’s good, just not always great or interesting)
Thank you for the heads up! That's disappointing

Best for me was tasting menu at Jean Gorges in Nyc.
The food was exquisite; the service impeccable & it was a memorable event to commemorate a special occasion.

Worst was in Washington DC; food was inedible, lukewarm, zero service (not once was i asked why my plates went back uneaten) & there were couples behaving extremely inappropriately in public. It was very uncomfortable.

I would love to experience Daniel Boulud's flagship as i enjoyed La Pavillion (the chef came to meet us & he was very lovely).

Which restaurant was the bad experience at??

Reactions: A bottle of Red
Had a great meal last year at ÓX in Reykjavik and will go back this year.

Trying KOKS for the first time next month.

Even though I am mostly veggie, haven't enjoyed Eleven Madison Park since they went all plants, sadly.

Jungsik is one of my absolute NYC favorites.

Always enjoy Cote and Yasuda (although there's better sushi in NYC).

In Paris, Helen, Lasserre, Jin, Septime, & L'Ambroisie. But....there are unstarred places that are just as good as each of these IMO. I think Le Cinq is a bit overrated.

In London, absolutely love Kol and St. John (two of my favorite restaurants anywhere tbh). Think Gymkhana is overrated and better to go to, say, Trishna.

Xin Rong Ji in Beijing is wonderful.

Am taking notes thank you. Sometimes I just want to eat not see performance art :smile: aAgree re EMP in all its incarnations though I have not tried vegan

I forgot to mention Kitchen Table in London. I first went there when they were new and hidden behind a heavy curtain in the back of Bubbledogs. They now have 2 Michelin stars and their own entrance. You sit at a counter that surrounds the kitchen so you can watch as your dishes are prepared and very often served to you by the chefs. It is a set menu (presented at the end of the meal) but they will cater to dietary restrictions and requests. The first 3 times I went, the food was glorious and the staff were engaging. The 4th time was disappointing -- this was all before the Michelin stars were awarded so I have to think they've improved. Be prepared for a long meal (20 small courses). It's on my list to revisit.

I forgot to mention Kitchen Table in London. I first went there when they were new and hidden behind a heavy curtain in the back of Bubbledogs. They now have 2 Michelin stars and their own entrance. You sit at a counter that surrounds the kitchen so you can watch as your dishes are prepared and very often served to you by the chefs. It is a set menu (presented at the end of the meal) but they will cater to dietary restrictions and requests. The first 3 times I went, the food was glorious and the staff were engaging. The 4th time was disappointing -- this was all before the Michelin stars were awarded so I have to think they've improved. Be prepared for a long meal (20 small courses). It's on my list to revisit.
@apey_grapey , is this something to ask your concierge to reserve many weeks in advance? The seats sound very limited

@apey_grapey , is this something to ask your concierge to reserve many weeks in advance? The seats sound very limited

I heard they're now booked for months, so it would be a good idea to book well ahead. During their early days, I got seats a few days to up to 1 month in advance -- they used to announce available seats from cancellations on Instagram.

• Thanks
Reactions: 880
I heard they're now booked for months, so it would be a good idea to book well ahead. During their early days, I got seats a few days to up to 1 month in advance -- they used to announce available seats from cancellations on Instagram.
Thank you so much! Am probably the last person who doesn’t really know how to use instagram or what’s app, so Will ask the concierge when we next book a trip to London
hugs