Food Michelin restaurants

Mishella

Jan 26, 2022
I haven’t found a topic about M restaurants at the forum, so decided to start one. Let’s share our experiences - best and worst Michelin restaurants and tips.
I’m also wondering if there are some kind of concierge services to book a restaurant, because it often does not seem possible to get a reservation even many months in advance.

Reactions: A bottle of Red
My favorite michelin restaurant of perhaps all time is Enrico Bertolini in Milan. Only a few tables; a few choices for a multi course menu that is well conceived and not too over the top. (I am tired of excessive innovations like foam and dry ice il bulli style). also DH and I love the dish ware by Hering Berlin. My paltry snap shots do not do the food Justice. Lunch was from 12-445 pm. I have no idea how anyone can eat dinner.

a hotel concierge can make arrangements prior to your arrival (Even when you book the hotel) Our favorite hotels are the Connaught in London (best Bar) ; De Russie in Rome (best garden) ; and, the Bulgari Hotel in Paris (Best all around; plus best concierge with relaxed and professional Italian style service). We always book via a virtuoso affiliated travel agent which allows for complimentary upgrades when available; late check out; hotel service credits; lavish breakfasts; a few quick pics of EB

A489D8E2-39D4-486D-84B5-CD2AC09BC3EC.jpeg91247638-D592-4425-8B85-D9F7BB17E908.jpegE3494C16-5C93-44F7-9314-FD71D7D8F357.jpegF726CF28-5726-48F1-8491-4A33B97AE23D.jpeg29C4C8D5-818C-4CE4-B6CC-95FCF51B1D7C.jpeg39ACE58A-6EBD-4332-8406-1B93D2B3209A.jpeg4F5CD094-0428-4291-9026-B1577035B79D.jpegFBC57BC3-E1A1-47B2-96B6-73BB07A7A59E.jpeg539632CE-B45E-4553-BA14-290307E4BDDB.jpeg0165129F-6EA2-42FC-ABFF-58ED3BA3802C.jpegEF76393B-FC54-4AEE-BF19-943D7FD8B340.jpeg

and, not michelin rated, but favorite drink is the house distilled gin martini at the Connaught Bar, which is a performance from a special gin trolley. Breakfast baguette at Jean Georges at the Connaught is better than baguette in Paris.

Rome is not known for stellar cuisine, but I like Due Ladroni (Roman fish and great crispy risotto Milanese);

i like the creme brulee donuts in Whistler Blackcomb in Canada, and a delicious fish and dessert at Araxi

the French toast and lemon ricotta pancakes at Amangani Jackson Hole (better than other Aman resort breakfasts)

worst. I was not fond of l’ambroise in Place de Vosges, Paris. I’ve had mediocre meals at Per Se in NY. And, I have not been impressed with some other Michelin starred restaurants in the US. Pagliacci in Rome was a bit too flashy and a bit self conscious.

Among the best Italian food I’ve had was oddly at Pier Chic in Dubai. (I know, the name)
im also very fond of our local Italian il Gattopardo in NY.

Last edited:
My favorite that I’ve tried so far is in Hong Kong, Joel (I know he has several around the world including in vegas).

three stars still I believe but it’s been a few years since I’ve gone back to HK (but I always need to get my dessert fix).
View attachment 5366279View attachment 5366280View attachment 5366281
Joel Robouchon :biggrin: we used to go in NYC
I loved his whipped potatoes and the dome at dessert :smile:

defunct restaurants :Alain Ducasse had a great dessert trolley
CT Claude Troigros (I think closed for tax reasons idk

@Tyler_JP, love the menu! Off to google the inn :smile:

Last edited:
Spelling was never my strong suit!

I have some others on my list that’s more local. Had an opportunity to go to lazy bear for free but missed out due to scheduling conflict.

• Haha
Reactions: 880
When you are tired of eating complicated food but want to be coddled and pampered
Scotts in London (although a bit expense acct & business clientele) lobster; bakewell pudding and Paris Brest
4E471698-EF58-43E2-9C0D-FF0E42572BFA.jpegB9FFD14D-0819-416C-A0BE-1B28D2D77379.jpeg
i don’t recommend the acclaimed restaurant Heston Blumenthal in the mandarin oriental London unless you want a delicious, but very heavy meal

I did not get to Chez Allard PARIS this time.

in a prior post, I forgot to attach pics of the best oysters, fish, dessert Araxi in Whistler. Whistler is apparently fond of house made donuts
42015394-CA8F-446C-AE4B-29463C1A16F4.jpegAAA6D296-F166-4407-980D-0ABE2B616022.jpegB38B6D84-8638-4281-A8AC-8A90159A62E9.jpeg

Last edited:
I loved Lasarte by Martín Berasategui in Barcelona (3*). Their seafood laden tasting menu was light and fresh.

1F7FD3AF-7CC0-485C-9B9B-18CCC3AA4B66.jpeg
0193850F-36A2-4D5D-8AF3-991C3F65A692.jpeg
4B9D75EB-D78E-4E62-92FC-39C31C10626F.jpeg

We have been to many 1* Michelin restaurants when in Europe mainly bc my hubby is a French food snob (translation: even more unbearable than other kinds of food snobs :lol: ) and I’ve learned to use the Michelin app as an easy way to be sure we can choose a reasonably priced place that is sure to be good. My pet peeve is going on vacation and winging it to a point that all the best restaurants are booked & you’re left only with the touristy restaurants with overpriced mediocre food.

my hubby is a French food snob
Your pics are gorgeous ! I would love solid one star french recommendations pls :smile:

i just thought to add the most TPF appropriate restaurant experience was Dior Nammos collaboration in Dubai where you could shop at the beach side restaurant in special three D printed Dior RTW and handbag kiosks lol
C0F6E7BC-64BE-4DD6-B667-C32478FE6614.jpeg667109AD-C22F-49E5-845D-7F0F58C9B8A8.jpegB0AF575A-DD04-4DDC-A252-6BC7F77F4435.jpegB1169E1C-F11A-4E86-ABCE-FC1F95918C47.jpeg

Last edited:

defunct restaurants :Alain Ducasse had a great dessert trolley
CT Claude Troigros (I think closed for tax reasons idk

I wanted to go to Alain Ducasse’s restaurant at Plaza Athenee for my bday dinner this year but sadly found out it permanently closed. Out of curiosity, does anyone know why?

We ended up booking Ducasse Sur Seine, which is a floating restaurant/ bateau mouche that tours the Seine. Such a wonderful experience! (The food was just okay. Worth the $ for the view, the wine pairing and a romantic evening)

AFD55F98-2E86-4A1E-A9F5-0AD6726E0D98.jpeg

Nice, France - Les Deux Canailles

Not a 1* but recommended on Michelin. It’s a Franco-Japanese team. Their dishes were delightful with lots of foie gras.

0C2CB526-4F79-4926-9A58-AB356EEFBA53.jpeg
Seared foie gras with pumpkin risotto

0BFDD549-2C92-4C4F-B3A1-332A67AF51E2.jpeg
Prawn ravioli (more like a wonton) in foie gras sauce

Oh gosh, thank you for starting this. Out of all the M-rated we've been to and risk of getting flack....
Liked: Septime, Bar Crenn, Benu, Arpège
Disliked: Noma, Eleven Madison, The French Laundry (can't have a bad meal here however our service experience was just not great)

We've gotten lucky by stalking Tock/reservation website of restaurant. We did take a risk booking for 4 at Noma but luckily found 2 people from the Noma reddit thread to join DH and I. Hope to try Alinea and Alchemist one day:happydance:

Last edited:
What a great thread! I love hearing first hand experiences from fellow foodies! My favourite regular M restaurant would have to be Morston Hall in Norfolk, UK. Food is always so damn tasty! Service is great and the setting is beautiful. Stay overnight and enjoy their breakfast the next day. Great wine selection too, they grow many of their own ingredients and distill their own gin. They’re house champagne is lovely too and my favourite (Ruinart BdB) is available by the glass (the wife hates champagne so I NEVER get to order a bottle)

One of the most standout meals for me was Bearnard Loiseau in Salieau (about an hours drive from Paris if I remember). They have two menus and their “classics” was incredible, the roasted Bresse chicken with truffled mash was one of the best tasting meals I’ve ever had.

I also really liked Dinner by Heston at the MO, @880 so interesting to hear you weren’t a fan! The duck dish I had there was impeccably cooked!

I thought Marcus in London was also really good, standout for me was they’re cesaer salad (of all things!). The blue bar at that hotel (The Berkeley) also serves great drinks.

Le Gavroche in London for the BEST cheese soufflé ever and to dine at such a historic and important restaurant.

Good but not great: Yannick Alleno in Paris (however their milk fed lamb was a standout), le Cinq in Paris (winner for the best cheese trolley), GR at the Intercontinental in Bordeaux (their lobster press is one of only two working presses in the world and ordering the lobster is an event in itself)

Worst places for me: Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester - way too overpriced and style over substance. Food looked like art but didn’t taste great in my opinion. Another let down was Story in London - too theatrical and not enough flavour. Service was a bit patronising too. Guy Savoy in Paris, again I didn’t feel like the food or experience lived up to the expectation.

On a side note, the bar at The Langham in London, called the artisan, rivals the Connaught (my other fav bar in London). The artisan is more modern and less “old school” but the drinks are incredible, works of art!

@880 I’m trying hard to remember the names of the wonderful little restaurants we went to in the past, but many of them were pre pandemic and not well documented by me. When I’m in France with DH, sometimes I don’t even know what I’m eating :biggrin: since I sometimes let him order for me (like below - no clue what this was or the name of the restaurant). I may not remember the details but it always ends up being a great experience.

74DB45C1-5C08-467F-A6DF-6BD569B316DD.jpeg

Thank you @Searno29 and @bisousx !
@Searno29, I’m afraid DH and I couldn’t do the meal at Heston B Justice. We were nearing the end of a three week food filled vacation, and peetered out in the middle. To the point where we couldn’t finish our meal and only had a bite of tipsy cake with roasted pineapple and no ice cream from the trolley. Perhaps that’s why I remember it as delicious but heavy lol. I do think it had a lot to do with the fact that I ate too much of the very tasty meat and fruit appetizer :smile:
hugs