Michael Kors Nears Deal to Buy Versace for Around $2.35 Billion

troubadour

O.G.
Mar 14, 2011
Wall Street Journal is reporting that Michael Kors Holding Ltd. is close to a deal to buy Gianni Versace fashion house. Very interesting.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/michae...n-1537790108?mod=breakingnews#comments_sector

Michael Kors Near Deal to Buy Versace for Around $2.35 Billion
A deal could be announced in coming days

By
Matthew Dalton and
Ben Dummett
Sept. 24, 2018 7:55 a.m. ET

Michael Kors Holdings Ltd. KORS -0.04% is close to a deal to buy Italian fashion house Gianni Versace SpA for around €2 billion ($2.35 billion), people familiar with the matter said—a deal that would put one of the glitziest names in high fashion in the hands of a budding American conglomerate better known for affordable luxury.

A deal could be announced in coming days, the people said.

It is unclear whether the Versace family, which has controlled the brand for decades, would remain as minority shareholders in the business or if Donatella Versace would stay on as creative director. Private-equity giant Blackstone Group , which owns 20% of Versace, is selling its stake in the business as part of the deal, one person said.

In recent years, Versace has struggled to grow sales, despite a luxury-fashion boom led by Chinese consumers.

The Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera first reported the deal.

Write to Matthew Dalton at [email protected] and Ben Dummett at [email protected]

Wall Street Journal is reporting that Michael Kors Holding Ltd. is close to a deal to buy Gianni Versace fashion house. Very interesting.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/michae...n-1537790108?mod=breakingnews#comments_sector

Michael Kors Near Deal to Buy Versace for Around $2.35 Billion
A deal could be announced in coming days

By
Matthew Dalton and
Ben Dummett
Sept. 24, 2018 7:55 a.m. ET

Michael Kors Holdings Ltd. KORS -0.04% is close to a deal to buy Italian fashion house Gianni Versace SpA for around €2 billion ($2.35 billion), people familiar with the matter said—a deal that would put one of the glitziest names in high fashion in the hands of a budding American conglomerate better known for affordable luxury.

A deal could be announced in coming days, the people said.

It is unclear whether the Versace family, which has controlled the brand for decades, would remain as minority shareholders in the business or if Donatella Versace would stay on as creative director. Private-equity giant Blackstone Group , which owns 20% of Versace, is selling its stake in the business as part of the deal, one person said.

In recent years, Versace has struggled to grow sales, despite a luxury-fashion boom led by Chinese consumers.

The Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera first reported the deal.

Write to Matthew Dalton at [email protected] and Ben Dummett at [email protected]
Wonder if they'll make a Versace line for the masses

Wonder if they'll make a Versace line for the masses

There already are a couple "diffusion" lines within Versace. One is named "versus" I think. I'm most familiar with the bags end of it.

Personally, I'm a fan of the boutique Versace lines, particularly "Icon" and "Palazzo", though I know they're not big around tpf. I have to say, if Kors buys them out, I'm done. :sad: I might still pick up a few pre-Kors from my favorite boutique, but then ... :sad:
Feeling a little queasy whenever I think about it, actually.

Reactions: crystal_cat