Michael Kors getting inspiration from other designers?

kadelle

Feb 16, 2013
Okay so we all know the age old debate on whether or not MK bags are blatantly stealing designs from primary designers or whether getting inspiration from one another is just a general thing all designers do. In the beginning, I was fuming at MK for "ripping off my beloved LV" haha. But now, although I still don't necessarily buy MK, I guess I'm over the fury and the rage :P

One of my favorite affordable designers is Furla :heart::heart::heart: They have this line of mini bags with exchangable flaps. I LOVE that idea and am a true Furla flap-addict. Today I saw that MK is now doing the exact same thing! On one hand, I'm like: "GRRRRR that's Furla's thing!!! Staaahp" but on the other, I'm like: "well, the exchangable flap idea is a pretty awesome concept. Also, it's gonna save lots of customers money if they only have to buy new flaps instead of the whole entire bag".

So what do you all think? Any MK lovers out there? I say more power to you. Just because I'm not into MK, it doesn't mean I can't respect and admire other bag-addicts' loves for their own fav brands!! Or is there anyone who thinks what MK is doing is a total no-no? Also, any Furla lovers on here? It's a quite underrated brand, I feel :smile:

My view has changed over time but I would rather see someone support Michael Michael Kors than support the fake bag industry. My other thoughts are that not everyone can afford what may be, the original bag from the premier designer, and this is a nice way of enjoying a bag!

In saying that, I bought the Michael Michael Kors Large Kirby in plain black leather for work and I absolutely love this bag. I don't mind where the design "originally" came from, I needed the bag that was reasonably cheap for work wear and good quality. :love:

My view has changed over time but I would rather see someone support Michael Michael Kors than support the fake bag industry. My other thoughts are that not everyone can afford what may be, the original bag from the premier designer, and this is a nice way of enjoying a bag!

In saying that, I bought the Michael Michael Kors Large Kirby in plain black leather for work and I absolutely love this bag. I don't mind where the design "originally" came from, I needed the bag that was reasonably cheap for work wear and good quality. :love:

Ohmygosh those are my exact thoughts too - it's better to carry an inspired MK than a fake LV!! Especially for preteens or younger bagaddicts in general, I think MK is a good alternative to maybe going down the wrong path of counterfeit "goods"!! So I totally feel you on that one.

My fav affordable brand is Furla. I can only recommend it! Great quality for reasonable prices :heart:

Michael Kors gets all the hate when most mid-range (and even some high end) designers copy designs from other designers. I am not a huge MK fan or anything but don't understand the major hate for 'copying' designs when tons of other brands who don't get the hate do the same thing. I think the hate is largely tied into MK being the bag everyone carried for several years. People needed a reason to justify their hate of the brand besides just saying 'Well, everyone carries it, and I'm too good to carry what everyone else carries.' That would just sound too snobby so everyone jumped on the 'They rip off other designers' bandwagon. I think this hate is one the downswing because MK is falling out of favor so now people aren't so hateful of them copying other designers. The most popular mid-range designer always gets hated on. Before MK, it was Coach, and I predict that Kate Spade will likely be the next brand on the hate-wagon.

Well, I don't understand the MK bashing for all the reasons you mentioned above.
If some people hate MK, no one forces them to buy his bags, do they?:smile:

No, they're not being forced to buy his bags but when they've spent thousands on their precious designer bag and see a high quality bag that resembles it I guess they're not too happy. It's called a free market society and people are free to spend their money how they choose. I find the whole scenario rather amusing and really not too important in the whole scheme of things.

Ohmygosh those are my exact thoughts too - it's better to carry an inspired MK than a fake LV!! Especially for preteens or younger bagaddicts in general, I think MK is a good alternative to maybe going down the wrong path of counterfeit "goods"!! So I totally feel you on that one.

My fav affordable brand is Furla. I can only recommend it! Great quality for reasonable prices :heart:

I also like Furla, but not all the styles/leathers. I have Plume (smooth leather) and Elle Rock (pebbled) and both are well made. Prices are very reasonable, especially if on sale. What I don't like are the other textured leathers.

Reactions: kadelle
I own several MK bags and have my eye on a couple of more. I also own Balenciaga, Chanel, Dior, and Gucci. I like the bags. Unlike some others, I haven't had any issues with quality. I wear what I like and what my money can afford at the time. I will never understand why anyone would fault another person from buying a handbag that looks like another. As long as it's not a fake, who cares? If that person likes the shape and silhouette but doesn't want to spend an obscene amount of money, why not get an inexpensive alternative? Is that person relegated to carrying a plastic trash bag because they prefer a Tory Burch price over a Prada price?

I own several MK bags and have my eye on a couple of more. I also own Balenciaga, Chanel, Dior, and Gucci. I like the bags. Unlike some others, I haven't had any issues with quality. I wear what I like and what my money can afford at the time. I will never understand why anyone would fault another person from buying a handbag that looks like another. As long as it's not a fake, who cares? If that person likes the shape and silhouette but doesn't want to spend an obscene amount of money, why not get an inexpensive alternative? Is that person relegated to carrying a plastic trash bag because they prefer a Tory Burch price over a Prada price?
I totally agree. MK (and other designers) aren't trying to make people believe that they are carrying a Chanel, LV, etc bag. MK branding is very obvious. I own several high end bags like you (Balenciaga, Fendi, Chloe, Dior, etc). I also own mid-tier (Michael Kors Collection, Furla, Rebecca Minkoff, Alexander Wang, etc). I also have some low-end, non-designer bags. I buy what I like as long as is well-made. You can get a well-made bag in all these price brackets. You can also get a non-well made bag in all these price brackets. Look at the bag, the quality, and the style. If you like it and will wear it, there is no shame in buying it regardless of whether it is high-end, low-end, or in between.

I know this is an old thread but I just wanna share my thoughts here. I own two MK bags (a Selma Grommet and Sutton), a few SLGs, and a pair of flat shoes. IMHO the quality is not that amazing--I lost one of the grommet on my Selma only after a couple uses of it. The edge coating on my Sutton is peeling off on both handles, also without that much use. My SLGs are all fine though, no issue whatsoever. Also my flats are surprisingly still in pristine condition although I wear them so often (they're currently my grab-and-go shoes since late 2016). So I have mixed feelings on its quality. Their recent designs are better though, although would still remind me of some premier designers' design. I was considering to buy his Mercer tote in medium size. I just think it's cute and works a crossbody bag so well. Also it's quite hyped by girls all over the world. But I don't know why I just can't pull the trigger. Maybe cause whenever I'm drawn into MK, I always remember about its low resale price (I like to resale my bags cause I get bored easily) and rather disappointing quality. So I will always buy Furla instead since it is mostly made in Italy--at least the ones that I like--and has better quality and resale value. The price is a tad more expensive than MK but it is of better quality, more luxurious leather, and is made in Italy and an Italian brand. I don't know it just has bigger value IMHO. I have a lot of contemporary designer bags such as RM, TB, MK, Coach, Furla and also have Chanel, Bal, etc. I think it's true what @Cloudburst2000 said, just buy whatever bags that you like. I bought so many RMs recently cause I like the style and the leather, also I got them as preloved items so they're very very affordable. And honestly I think RM "copies" other designer's designs even more blatantly. But I think it's ok since it carries its own brand, not a counterfeit, and works well as a substitute for the designer bag for a while before you can get the "real bag".

Premium designers also copy each other... The LV Alma is a copy of the Hermes Bolide. Which was first the JackieO or the Trim? Balenciaga is right now ripping off Gucci. There one million declinations of the Chanel flap...