Travel MIAMI tips - questions - advice!

oh geez, Miami is NUTS on new years eve..... what am I talking about??? It's nuts 365 days a year!!

have fun!

you're from MI, whereabouts?? I grew up there, and now I live in S. Florida, about an hour and a half north of miami :smile:

Mansion is fun, but too big and overcrowded for my taste.. Opium is fun as well and has a nice layout.. I'd stay away from Shine if possible. Nikki beach will probably be fun during the day/evening... SET is gorgeous inside, but not my crowd. I tend to like a diverse, laid back, hip and underground crowd, so if you like the similar, you'll be ok at those places I suggested.

Opium does have some weird crowds sometimes... So definitely check the lineups. I usually go to Miami every year for the Winter Music Conference which is probably the craziest club week in Miami. I tend to miss those "off" nights because all the clubs are having special events that week when I go.

If you get a chance to check out the Pawn Shop in downtown, definitely go. That place has the most fun layout ever!

And if Aquabooty productions is throwing any parties, GO!! Tomas throws the best parties in SoBe. I've been to some of his parties at the Pawnshop, but he's thrown awesome parties at most of the larger clubs in Miami.

And for food... There's some really nice restaurants and some really bad restaurants... Must go lunch spots include Puerto Sangua on Collins and 7th, and La Sandwicherie on 14th and Collins. Those are SoBe's best!!

We were there with friends last year and went to Nikki Beach. It was nice, kind of laid back. It was at the end of our vacation (cruise) and to be completely honest, we had done too much partying on the cruise, we were all kind of spent by NYE.

Going on a cruise again this year that last week in December and decided to skip SOBE this time around for the reason above. Just wasn't worth and additional $2k (hotel, nice dinner, club, etc.). I'd rather have another bag!

We went to dinner at Prime 112 and I would HIGHLY recommend. It was fab.:tup:

BF and I have spent two of our three (soon to be four) NYEs together in Miami, and I love it! We don't go out on NYE itself because of the crowds (parking there is a ***** ANY time of the year, but especially so on NYE. Really. Whenever we're out there we're usually parked streets away from Ocean Drive. Like on Euclid.) but we usually do go out several nights while we're there. On NYE we attend festive and fun dinner party thrown by one of my BF's nieces, but other nights we might go to the Clevelander or something. I think my favorite place to hang out on Ocean is the basement of the Colony Hotel. It's so low key and the drinks are so cheap that it's unbeatable, and it's never crowed, which can be a change of pace from what's going on outside on the streets. But whatever you do, don't STAY at the Colony! LOL. You don't wanna think about doing that.

Many of these places are invitation only or you must pay to get in on NYE. I mean like $500. It is worth researching now. Depending on who is hosting the parties, the hot bar/clubs will be packed.

Will post tomorrow with clubs, restaurants etc., after I talk to my kids, but for sure, if you are going to be driving back and forth hire a driver and car for that night.....and the sooner you do it the better, if there are a few of you, the cost could be shared and that way you do not have to worry about drinking and driving.gettiing lost, finding parking, etc..What part of Miami are you staying at? if you want to look into driving services pm me and I will find out from my kids what services they use.I know there are several semi-private parties my kids go to on New Years eve, will find out for you.:heart:H

A few friends and I will be spending new year's eve in Miami. I've never been before. We're trying to find a club to go to or something else fun to do. Any suggestions?

I've been put in charge of planning our activity for the evening. I looked online and found some clubs, but I don't know anything about any of them. Please help!

You will have no problem finding spots to shop in Miami, depending on where you are staying here are a few of the larger shopping hubs.
Coral Gables, off Ponce, Near S. Dixie Highway - Merrick Place is gorgeous, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, tiffany, gucci, bottega veneta, Carolina Herrera, several restaurants and many, many more stores.

North Miami Beach, Bal Harbour Shops,exquisite shopping area with both Neiman and Saks fifth avenue, plus chanel, LV, Gucci, Ferragamo, Fendi, Giorgo Armani, Versace, Cartier, Christofle, Carpaccio Restaurant and many more stores.

Down South, on South Dixie Highway and S.W. 136th street, The Falls Shopping Center, a more casual, not as prime mall but with Bloomingdales and Macys, Banana, Gap, Anne Taylor, Brook Brothers, Express, restaurants and several more stores.

Dadeland Mall, Off South Dixie Highway and S.W. 88th street, Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, Zara, Banana, and many many more.

Miracle Mile in Coral Gables, boutique stores and restaurants.

Miami Beach, Lincoln Road, Washington Avenue west Avenue, all full of high end and funky boutiques, fun area and one of a kind clothing boutiques.

And many outlet malls., I could go on and on, it is hard to find a place not to shop in Miami, if you post what kind of stores you are interested in and more or less the area you are staying at we can give you more specific details.....enjoy your stay in our fun city - :heart:H

Meg is right, clubs are expensive for new years!! I noticed that some were upwards to $500 while browsing. Definitely do your research first. It would probably only be worth it if it's open bar and you plan on drinking ALOT.

The Raleigh Miami Beach, FL
New Year's Eve at The Raleigh w/ Samantha Ronson & DJ Berrie
Special Celebrity Hosts make The Raleigh THE 2008 Miami New Year's Eve Event
Buy Now Details
Fifth, The Miami Beach, FL
New Year's Eve with Victor Calderone at The Fifth South Beach
Buy Now Details
Mansion Miami Beach, FL
New Year's Eve at Mansion Miami
Buy Now Details
Opium Garden Miami Beach, FL
New Year's Eve
Buy Now Details
Prive Miami Beach, FL
New Year's Eve at Prive Miami
Buy Now Details
SET Miami Beach, FL
New Year's Eve 2008
Buy Now Details
dek23 Miami Beach, FL
New Year's Eve 2008

I just pulled this from the web, sorry for the crazy fonts, don't know if the links work or not. These are the "hot spots" of the moment. Also Mokai, Cameo (the old Crobar), Suite and Shore Club. Raleigh, Shore Club are outdoors so the party ends "early" aka 2am instead of 7am and you have the possiblity of weather screwing up the night. Raleigh is beautiful, though. I would say my personal favs: Suite, Mokai, Raleigh, Shore Club, Cameo

I would avoid Nikki Beach on New Year's, go the next day if you can and the if the weather is pretty, lay out and dance in your bikini.

Also, there's a LOT of other clubs that have parties that night, NYC promoters come in and throw some pretty good ones with B list celebs and they usually get packed, but the crowd is more of a muscle-y meat-head kinda scene. The Shelbourne throws one of these parties every year.
Advice: 1. If you can afford it, BUY A TABLE. Yes, it's very expensive, but you get to a place to sit and you avoid the whole standing in line for drinks thing. Table service will run you around $1200, but you should get your entrance for free with that. PS drinks aren't cheap if you think you'll save $ by ordering them separately, $14 for a redbull/vodka or $18 glass of champagne. 2. Get there EARLY. They will sell your table if you are there late and/or deny you entry even if you have paid tickets if the fire marshall says it's too packed.