Metallic leather flaking --- what to do?

Crack of Dawn

Nov 21, 2012
I am so sad, my first Coach bag is starting to show signs of premature aging. My husband bought me a metallic Poppy Rocker from the local outlet in November as an early Christmas present. I love it...it just makes me so happy to feel the squishy leather and i even have a favorite hangtag that I removed and put on my other bags just to keep a little of the happiness with me. I carried it for about four weeks and then put it in its dust bag in my closet. I pulled it back out on Thursday and have been carrying it for a few days.
Yesterday I noticed something on the back/bottom of the bag. It looked like tan colored crumbs. Upon closer inspection, I realized its where the leather is starting to flake. It is so small, no one else would notice it yet, but I'm sure it will get worse.

What do I do? Do I save it for only special occasions? Do I take it back? I am So sad!!!

Mandy421

Jun 3, 2011
You can try takin t back to the outlet to show them. They might give you a store credit to get something else. That is what I did with a flaking bag but that was at the FP store. I'm not sure how the outlet works, but it is for sure worth a try. Or you can get some silver paint that matches and touch it up if you don't want to part with it. There was a thread on here about someone doing that with their copper zoe. I'm on my phone so can't really search for it now. If it's only on the bottom and doesn't really show you can just leave it and keep carrying it.

And yes, there is always a chance of this happening with any metallic bag. Some people luck out, others don't. Coach is usually good about helping you out when it happens though.

katierose

Loves Charms & Bags
O.G.
Feb 17, 2009
California
I am so sad, my first Coach bag is starting to show signs of premature aging. My husband bought me a metallic Poppy Rocker from the local outlet in November as an early Christmas present. I love it...it just makes me so happy to feel the squishy leather and i even have a favorite hangtag that I removed and put on my other bags just to keep a little of the happiness with me. I carried it for about four weeks and then put it in its dust bag in my closet. I pulled it back out on Thursday and have been carrying it for a few days.
Yesterday I noticed something on the back/bottom of the bag. It looked like tan colored crumbs. Upon closer inspection, I realized its where the leather is starting to flake. It is so small, no one else would notice it yet, but I'm sure it will get worse.

What do I do? Do I save it for only special occasions? Do I take it back? I am So sad!!!
I would take it back, it should not be flaking after 4 weeks of use.

TooManyWantMore

LV Content
Dec 11, 2012
So sorry to hear about your bag...especially your first Coach. I would take it back in and explain your concerns with it getting worse. Unfortunately, this is common with metallics and exactly why I don't own a single one. The SA's do understand that it's an issue and will probably help you out. They may not give you cash back but may let you exchange or give you a merchandise credit.

nc.girl

Girly Gear Head
Dec 10, 2010
North Carolina, USA
I would take it back, it should not be flaking after 4 weeks of use.
I agree. It shouldn't be flaking after such a short time of using it...and if it's already happening now, it will likely only get worse the more you carry it.

This is why I will never get a metallic bag. :sad:
Same here. I've seen so many I like, but would hate to fall in love with one then end up having to return it due to flaking/ peeling.

Apr 28, 2008
metallic bags always flake
but 4 weeks seems too quickly

if you can't replace her at outlet, keep it and love it till it's death do you part

Crack of Dawn

Nov 21, 2012
90046 said:
metallic bags always flake
but 4 weeks seems too quickly

if you can't replace her at outlet, keep it and love it till it's death do you part
Lol.....I do LOVE her and really thought she was going to be with me for a long time. I am going to take her in and see what they say. But letting her go is going to hurt....so if they tell me no, I will just love her and save her for special days...or serious depression days.

katev

"The Bag Whisperer!"
O.G.
Dec 18, 2009
You can try takin t back to the outlet to show them. They might give you a store credit to get something else. That is what I did with a flaking bag but that was at the FP store. I'm not sure how the outlet works, but it is for sure worth a try. Or you can get some silver paint that matches and touch it up if you don't want to part with it. There was a thread on here about someone doing that with their copper zoe. I'm on my phone so can't really search for it now. If it's only on the bottom and doesn't really show you can just leave it and keep carrying it.

And yes, there is always a chance of this happening with any metallic bag. Some people luck out, others don't. Coach is usually good about helping you out when it happens though.
Here is my thread about using paints to touch up my copper zoe, but if it is showing damage in such a short time I would probably return the bag and find something nice to replace it, sorry.
http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/us...age-damaged-metallic-leather-pics-722169.html

Crack of Dawn

Nov 21, 2012
With a heavy heart I left my favorite shiny baby at the counter and proceeded to look for something to replace her with. I was tempted by the metallic juliette and lindsey, but decided not to chance anymore metallics. Then low and behold, I found three grayish Momma Sages. Oh Momma Mia!! Sadly, I did not have that much in my exchange and my daughters college fund combined...but oh I wish.

I walked the store three times and just did not find anything I loved. My daughter finally told me that if I couldn't find anything I wanted that she would be happy to pick out something for herself. She is 7 years old.

So, I came home with a signature black Molly. I am just not feeling any love though...so it's going in the closet for a while. But my daughter came home with the small ikat wristlet and the valentines fob. She is so excited!!!....I love that little girl.

Maybe if I leave that bag and save some, that sage will be there waiting for me!!!

katev

"The Bag Whisperer!"
O.G.
Dec 18, 2009
With a heavy heart I left my favorite shiny baby at the counter and proceeded to look for something to replace her with. I was tempted by the metallic juliette and lindsey, but decided not to chance anymore metallics. Then low and behold, I found three grayish Momma Sages. Oh Momma Mia!! Sadly, I did not have that much in my exchange and my daughters college fund combined...but oh I wish.

I walked the store three times and just did not find anything I loved. My daughter finally told me that if I couldn't find anything I wanted that she would be happy to pick out something for herself. She is 7 years old.

So, I came home with a signature black Molly. I am just not feeling any love though...so it's going in the closet for a while. But my daughter came home with the small ikat wristlet and the valentines fob. She is so excited!!!....I love that little girl.

Maybe if I leave that bag and save some, that sage will be there waiting for me!!!
For the future, if you return something and can't find a replacement, you can ask for a merchandise credit or you can buy a gift card with the replacement and then you can use it when you do find the right bag at the right price!

Don't remove the tags on Molly and save the receipt, you can always return her for something that you do love!