Met gala 2018: offensive theme?

Many of the costumes are ridiculously beautiful. There is a lot of symbolism and beauty in Catholic history so I can see why the art and fashion world are inspired by it. I can also see why people are offended but I don't think it was meant to be sacrilegious and I think we should keep the main thing the main thing. Meaning the overall human condition (poverty, oppression, racism, etc.) There is such a thing as outrage fatigue IMO and I'd rather reserve outrage for situations where people are more directly being hurt.

I saw Ana Wintour on Stephen Colbert's show last night and she said the church was involved in this event.....so if they don't mind......

It was not just the theme of the gala but rather a special fashion exhibit at the Met which displays many Papal clothing. As I understand it, many of the exhibit items are direct from the Vatican. I would like to see the exhibit. I do find the gala, however, dumb. And I agree to many the gala attire would be and was offensive. Sorry OP.

My understanding is that the Vatican was involved in the planning of both the exhibit and the gala. Donatella Versace was instrumental in convincing the Vatican to allow the Met to exhibit dozens of sacred liturgical garments and other fashion artifacts such as jeweled mitres and papal tiaras from the Sistine Chapel for the first time ever outside the Vatican. The Vatican's vestments are being exhibited this month along with fashions by contemporary designers and displayed with the Met's collection of religious artwork. There have been scores of photo ops with Versace, Winotaur, the Vatican's cultural minister and other representatives of the Vatican who have helped plan these events.

Having been raised a very strict Roman Catholic I can see how many Catholics would be offended by the outfits at the gala. Gads, I remember the brouhaha when nuns were allowed to wear white blouses and loafers after centuries of wearing head-to-toe black. But hey the Vatican has given its blessing (probably literally as well figuratively). I'd be surprised if they didn't know what they were getting into. They're even posing for photo ops.

Hi guys,

I just woke up to the Met Gala dresses of 2018 (I live in Europe) and I find some of them, as well as the general theme, REALLY OFFENSIVE as a catholic.

The exact theme was: Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination.

I can think of a million ways in which this could have been done beautifully. Think Sixthinth chapel, reinassance paintings, angels, baroque and rococo inspo...

And some of it was beautiful, but my main issue is the use of religious symbols and sentiments which are dear to millions of people as atrezzo, just for the fun of it.

Gigi Hadid, Ariadna Grande and Kathy Perry nailed it in my opinion. It’s the catholic imagination without the use of symbols:

View attachment 4063671
View attachment 4063672View attachment 4063673

But then...

Jared Leto as Gucci Jesus???
View attachment 4063674

Is that a nativity scene on her head?

View attachment 4063675

NO COMMENT:

View attachment 4063676

And my favourite. Rihanna the Pope. THAT’S OFFENSIVE, NO QUESTIONS!!

View attachment 4063677

The thing that bugs me the most is that I find it hard to imagine a theme being: Modest bodies, a look at Islamic Imagination. I think the outrage would be unthinkable... perhaps they chose catholicism because we don’t matter as much or we can’t be offended?
Thank, OP, I’m not Catholic and I thought it was offensive too. And I am generally open minded, liberal, and live and let live. I would also be offended if it used Islam or Judaism as a theme. I get it, but it rubs me the wrong way. But thanks to all the insights of other posters, I feel I better understand the original intent. Sincere thanks to all for the intelligent conversation.

Um, you are posting on a messageboard where people spend literally thousands of dollars on bags that are not much more functional than those that could be purchased from a grocery store for a few dollars or even cents.
I know that. And I am still entitled to my opinion. So I will continue to post as such. BTW, these people's outfits don't cost just thousands.

Yes. This. So much.

I'm tired of outrage culture.

Definitely get your point, I personally wasn’t outraged. It’s typical hypocritical Hollywood, they claim to be culturally sensitive and aware about some things but others are simply disregarded. Like another poster said it’s simple respect that I would extend to other religions as well.

I’m not offended by the costumes, but I’m annoyed by most of the people wearing the costumes a majority of the time. They love to lecture the “little people” while they think of themselves as Holier Than Thou (pun intended) and are completely hypocritical. I generally ignore everything the Hollywood people do as they don’t deserve my time or attention. I’m looking forward to seeing the exhibit at the Met though!

Like another poster said it’s simple respect that I would extend to other religions as well.
Sure. But I still just go back to the idea I stated earlier about how if people are going to be so quick to criticize the way others treat their religion, then those people should probably at least make sure that they themselves are in strict adherence to their own religion's tenets (ie. premarital sex, etc). After all, if someone isn't treating their religion as seriously as they should be, then it seems awfully hypocritical to be offended at others for not doing the same.

And I also know that it's easier to examine and criticize the actions of others instead of our own. Seems like people would rather just express outrage.

Last edited: