Messengers - Mitzy or Alexa or Daria satchel or classic?????

Feb 26, 2008
So, feeling like deliberating a purchase today, even though my immediate next purchase is decided :nuts: Wondering about your experiences with messengers.....

Mitzy messenger - love the shape, nicely understated, don't mind the brown strap, like leather strap, like black & oak & rouge noir. Also cheapest of the 3! Reservation - the open top as I'm always in London.

Alexa - most expensive choice eek! But I think will become a classic. Quite understated, closes, leather strap, smart/casual. Love the ink, is it coming in black buffalo for winter? Black might be a more sensible choice given the cost!

Daria satchel - something attracts me to this although it is more blingy than me! I love the plaited strap, & the shape, worried about it not being a long enough strap for me as I'm tall. Is the leather hardwearing? The black would be useful but maybe a bit smart & blingy for me (it's the coaster I'm not sure about) but I saw a mouse grey at Waterloo station being worn messenger style & it looked fab! So maybe the ink is less "smart"? Also a work colleague has the mouse grey, used it for several months as a shoulder bag, but is now using a non Mulberry. It's putting me off a bit, but I doubt I'll see her using it again now!

And how do these 3 compare to the classics? I have choc large ant & black darwin seth. Ant is used a lot, seth rarely. Both are quite masculine, but do close at the top! Canvas strap means they're more casual.

So which are your favourites & why?????

Ohhh what a nice dilemma!

For me, Daria satchel is gorgeous but just too short for me! At 5ft10 it sits far too high and I look like I am wearing a child's version! But I have seen that adding a keyring can help!

I love love love my Mitzy Messengers, I have two. They are a great length and also look great with the strap knotted to be worn on the shoulder. I have to say although it just fastens with the one popper it doesn't gape open at all, it sits together nicely. Have you seen the divine RN messenger on LHB? :drool:

Alexa is gorgeous, depends if you are happy with her slouchiness. I love it, I think she looks great, strap length is not a problem either! The ink is my favourite as I know it would work for me dressed down as well as the more formal look but they are all gorgeous.

I have never had any of the classic messengers, just Mitzy and Audrina but I struggle with the wide canvas straps. They tend to turn my ample bosom in to scary madonna cones!! :lol:

I think they are all lovely, just depends what you think is going to fit best with your wardrobe and lifestyle. Also how much you are willing to spend on your messenger because Lexie is a pricey little minx!

Hi Miss Mabel! I know it's fun having a bag dilemma :nuts:!! I'm also worried about the daria's strap length as I'm 5'10" too, & it's bling, but there's something about it that attracts me.
So do you think mitzy is "safe" in crowds in London or on hols in a strange city? I tried one on recently & the shape is so much more feminine than mr big ant. Yes I saw the LH RN, yum!
Alexa - I'm not sure I dare try one on in case I love it! So much more money! But daria's quite a lot too. I have to say I think my style is smart casual - I like little ledbury, so smart & girly but in casual oak. I'm put off black bays as it's smart black & smart style. Which is why I think black daria is too much maybe for me, ink might be better. Oh who knows, must go & do something useful for a bit!

I've got two ants - small in oak, large in ink and love them both. Small ant is perfect for when I have to pop somewhere and need to carry very little - like to the vets yesterday. Large ant is fabulous when I'm out for a day with the girls and the spongy leather is so light weight. I had a choc seth and though I loved the style is it sooooo heavy and so I've let it go. I had a mitzy messenger and wasn't too keen as the strap was too thin and cut into my shoulder despite the light weight of the bag (I actually prefer a wider strap for that reason), I also wasn't too keen on the open top (I didn't think the press stud was secure enough). I also thought it looked a bit bulous to be honest (yet I love the look on others). Didn't like Daria because the flap didn't sit flat and puckered - had no problem with the length but I am a short a**e. Now I have ink Alexa (regular) and its love. Secure, slouchy, gorgeous with my staple jeans - the thin strap cuts in when she is loaded but guess what I don't mind! Hope this helps.

I have the mitzy and small Ant - the Mitzy is great you can get loads in it and I have never had a problem with the opening of the bag (I have used it in London) with no probs, I like the way it moulds to your shape. The small Ant is great as Blue says if you do not need a lot of stuff.

Hard call! I think it depends on whether you want to work a 'smart' or a 'casual' look.

Imho, Alexa and Daria can be either smart or casual depending on how you dress. Mitzy is more casual looking i think. Perhaps more a weekend than an everyday office bag? Others may totally disagree with me though, i don't know, lol....

hew - you like mitzy then???!!!:biggrin:
pollux - I think mitzy is quite light
bluecat - hi! Yes I remember filling black darwin seth rather too full & he did get heavy. I had forgotten! Also he wasn't good as a messenger when overfull, I had to use as a long shoulder bag.
Interesting about mitzy's thin strap being an issue, I hadn't thought of that. Anyone else have this problem? I have no problem with the look of mitzy, just not sure about the open top, though noone else so far seems to mind!
Daria - don't know how it sits, maybe will have to try, also for length.
I'm glad you love your ants! I like the little ant, my big one is a staple bag but not so beautiful. The ink colour is lovely! I wasn't sure myself of the leather for big ant when I saw it in store but so glad to hear you love yours!
And yay for ink alexa!!:yahoo: I'm still scared to try one in case it's :love:

Also meant to mention that I have tried Daria satchel, am 5ft 9 and thought the length was ok on me; so maybe you need to try it to decide whether you can rule it in or out dependant on whether you like the length or not.

hew - you like mitzy then???!!!:biggrin:
pollux - I think mitzy is quite light
bluecat - hi! Yes I remember filling black darwin seth rather too full & he did get heavy. I had forgotten! Also he wasn't good as a messenger when overfull, I had to use as a long shoulder bag.
Interesting about mitzy's thin strap being an issue, I hadn't thought of that. Anyone else have this problem? I have no problem with the look of mitzy, just not sure about the open top, though noone else so far seems to mind!
Daria - don't know how it sits, maybe will have to try, also for length.
I'm glad you love your ants! I like the little ant, my big one is a staple bag but not so beautiful. The ink colour is lovely! I wasn't sure myself of the leather for big ant when I saw it in store but so glad to hear you love yours!
And yay for ink alexa!!:yahoo: I'm still scared to try one in case it's :love:
Just a little bit - I've only got 4 though :biggrin:

The Mitzy is quite deep so someone (a thief) would have to stretch their arm in & rummage about in the bag to find something and I think you would notice. Also if you knot the strap and wear it on your shoulder then it is very unlikely that anyone (the thief again!) would be able to get into it.

I have an Oak Mitzy and love her. The leather is so soft - it looks good and is a good size. The thin strap can dig a little if you are very loaded down but that would apply to Alexa too.

I'm not much help to you really because even though I have a Mitzy & a small Ant (great for days when you only need a few bits with you), I do so want an Alexa too. The price is making me pause for thought though!

dre - hi! Glad you like your mitzy! Another vote! And little ant seems ever popular
IWANB - it is hard isn't it? These bag dilemmas!!!!:P Well that's it, I like being smart/casual I think, I don't go to work in a dark suit, in fact it's much more likely to be dark jeans! But not with trainers or uggs or mbts or converse, with proper boots or flat pumps in summer. Does that help? I also have to wear black in the evening for work, smartish so not jeans, but not eveningy. So a black bag is ideal but I like to use any dark colour I can get away with! Not too smart you see ;)