Messenger bag for men... help...

orca

O.G.
Jul 7, 2008
Hi Guys,

I’m currently looking for a medium messenger bag for everyday use and I’m still confused between Bottega Veneta or LV … I really love BV because it’s simple and very professional to me and I don’t like designer bag with flashy logo :sad: since I’m a guy.

Because I haven’t really touch or see the BV bags before (we don’t have the BV boutique in Australia, sadly), I’m just wondering if anyone can give any suggestions? Do you think woven bags are not suitable for men because it looks feminie?

I’m pretty sure that BV leather quality is superb however I’m just wondering if it’s durable and not easily scratch and fade. How do we compare with LV Taiga or Utah leathers?

Thanks a lot for your opinion :smile:

Hi jburgh,

Thanks a lot for your reply ... I was considering the second bag you have mentioned actually ^^

Does BV have the permanent line for style or they always change every new season?

Thank you !!

orca, whenever there is a BV man bag question, i always say check out uclaboi's collection. i think he even bought a women's bag to use as a messenger and you can see from the photos, IMHO he looks totally put together and metro, not feminine. i think it depends on the colors you choose, and how you style everything as well.

Starting i think with post 85 and then of course flipping through the pages
http://forum.purseblog.com/bottega-veneta/bv-collections-116768-6.html#post2632052

For his larger collection
http://forum.purseblog.com/your-bag-showcase/my-lil-louis-vuitton-collection-uomo-stuff-135771.html

Hi jburgh,

Thanks a lot for your reply ... I was considering the second bag you have mentioned actually ^^

Does BV have the permanent line for style or they always change every new season?

Thank you !!

BV does a little bit of both. There is a permanent line in which the colors just change every season and then there are new styles that come in every season along with the permanent collection.

here is my sons that he uses for his books.

its the classic messenger bag but in army, a SS 07 color, its a very neutral greyish green. its nappa umbria and is very nice and slouchy.

attachment.php

Attachments

• bvmess1.jpg
    bvmess1.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 215
  • bvmess2.jpg
    bvmess2.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 561
Ocra, having both some Vuitton and BV leather bags and wallets, I prefer BV's leather because it's softer and as a result higher quality. But the trade-off is it's more fragile (especially if you get a woven item) and I'm more careful when I use my BV collection as a result. So, I think it comes down to how well you take care of your bags when you use them.

Vuitton's Tiaga collection is so conservative (read: boring) - I doubt it can get more masculine than that. I find what makes a bag masculine or not though depends on the form of the bag - e.g. is it more like a traditional briefcase vs. a tote bag you would carry on the shoulder? Secondarily, whether it's a dark solid color or not. Bottom line, a dark brown (ebano) or black (nero) BV bag in a more traditional shape, even it's totally woven, is more than enough masculine.

Hope this helps.

Hi Bgarmstr,

Thanks a lot for your input!! much appreciated. I haven't really seen a bottega bag yet but I can imagine that the quality is quite high and as you have mentioned I need to be a bit more careful when i use it.

I personally wouldn't recommend BV as a everyday bag, since i tend to "baby" my BV's a lot more. The soft leather, like bgarmst said, is slightly more fragile (at least I assume it is and treat it as such). I would go with a bag from the Taiga collection (leather) althought I find it kind of stiff. the Utah messenger is also quite pretty, but you are only limited to one colour. If you don't mind canvas, consider the messenger bags/totes from the Damier graphite line.

Everlong, I love your son's bag. I will definitely buy one. I was trying to decide between a tote and a messenger when I was at Cabazon earlier in the year, and I ended up with the tote. I guess my next will be a messenger. Although I still want something from Hermes...*sigh*
http://forum.purseblog.com/member.php?u=131873

What an interesting thread, here are my few thoughts on this, since I have been addict to everyday bags that I use every day to go to the office.

I own pretty much a lot of LV, Utah, Taiga, Tobago..and the list goes on for everything leather without any initials.

-Taiga is stiff like a card board, cannot say it is anything close to real leather.
-Tobago (used to be Summer 07 collection I believe, awesome leather..quite sturdy!,
I bought one extra Carryall in black which is in storage )
-Epi is great - but not casual enough I think and again doesn't feel like leather since they have made it
even more stiffer to be scratch resistent...like the colors though..
-Utah (Styles are great, and I guess a happy medium between leather and something
useful, although I have to say, my first bag, the Kiowa Tote had some stitching coming off, so I asked for a replacement, no problems so far)...I have the Kiowa tote and Carry All, and as far as leather goes, it is good, but shows wear as it is a much more softer leather than any the other leathers LV has.

My assumption would be that BV leather is going to show wear, no matter how protective one is about the bag, as it is real leather, and I think one has to accept it..part of the natural beauty when wearing leather. As long the hardware is great and one conditions the leather once in a while with an "approved balm", I cannot imagine that any of the BV leather wouldn't keep getting better...

Once I able to unload some of my LV pieces, I will try to get my first BV work tote/business bag.....and I probably have more to report on it and see how it will compare my big LV collection...

I do like Prada for the practicality....and I am a Prada nylon person when it comes to not showing scratches, bad weather and something you can use windex to wip off!...but it is never going to be the touch of soft leather, as smooth as a baby bottom...lol