Messenger Bag BARDA

Olof

Mar 23, 2009
Today I saw the Barda Messenger Bag, it comes in 35 and 43 cm and I am a 181 tall guy. Because of the very soft Sikka leather, it hangs quite lax down. No I am thinking about if the 43cm version might looks a little bit like a simple bursa... and I should go instead for the 35 version ?

Attachments

• Hermès_Barda_Messenger.jpg
    Hermès_Barda_Messenger.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,799
It all depends on your personal preference as to how you like your bags to hang.

If it was me I would order the smaller one, as the leather looks very soft and slouchy, and I don't like my bags to lose too much of their structure.

Have you seen this bag in person? This is all second-hand, but I have had an SA tell me she is NOT a big fan of sikkim leather's "hand" and appearance. I am NOT familiar with this leather myself, and of course this sort of thing is utterly subjective, but as it is a new leather you might want to check it out IRL if at all possible before deciding. Good luck and please share pics of the new bag when you choose it!

I tried on the 35 and the size looks ok for me (mind you, I'm a girl of 5'4" height and very petite). For your height, 43 is probably the better choice but it really depends on what you will use the bag for. If it's only for iPad, some documents, wallet, keys, etc, the 35 is sufficient. But if you tend to bring a Lot of other stuff, iPad, 15" laptop (for example), etc etc then go for the 43. I know it's kinda floppy design, but if you arrange your items on the inside neatly, I think it will look ok. The Sikkim leather is gorgeous isn't it? :smile:

For this style of bag I prefer the 35. A 40 is overwhelming and will bend around your body. My understanding is that Sikkim does not wear well over time. Corner rubs are deadly. It is almost like a glove leather. I do not think it will refurbish well either. Just take very good care of it.

A shout out to those owners and lovers of the Barda messenger bag.

Post your pics here!

Mine below, 3 weeks old, first Hermes purchase. Pic taken at McDonalds in Sydney...

Hermes and McDonalds...now that's one extreme to another :smile:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435983810.219482.jpg

Reactions: Bichette
Hello!

I need your advice!

Lately I've been terribly tempted by a beautiful Barda 30 in fauve. Does anybody have experience/thoughts about this bag? The color is amazing, I love the 2 pockets and contrast stitching, but I am worried that sikkim leather doesn't age gracefully. There is only 1 old thread with just a couple of posts in it, about Bardas, and one of the pics of an old sikkim bag (not barda) are pretty discouraging.
The Barda fauve is very $$$ and I worry I might regret the purchase although it fits my style (love crossbodies, gold and neutrals, casual). On the other hand, I cant get it out of my head!
Any thoughts on Bardas for gals, sikkim leather, etc?

Attachments

• IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 723
  • IMG_0079.JPG
    IMG_0079.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 720
  • IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 807
Omg I love this bag, tried it on I think this past year and still think about it! It was a beautiful Sikkim in a deep blue/green color. I do have a DS36 in Sikkim and it wears like iron, it's not a delicate leather and I wouldn't be afraid to have another bag made of it. There are many DS's made in this leather and everyone seems pretty happy with it, I'd suggest checking that thread for more input on it.

Reactions: Bichette
Omg I love this bag, tried it on I think this past year and still think about it! It was a beautiful Sikkim in a deep blue/green color. I do have a DS36 in Sikkim and it wears like iron, it's not a delicate leather and I wouldn't be afraid to have another bag made of it. There are many DS's made in this leather and everyone seems pretty happy with it, I'd suggest checking that thread for more input on it.
Hello! Thanks for your response! Yes, I looked at the DS and nobody seems to complain about how they wear. I'll look more into it. I need to make a decision on that fauve one because there are not many in the country in this color (like 1!).

Reactions: ForeverInPink
I have one in size 30, and it is almost my favorite bag. Except mine isn't in Sikkim but instead in the other leather, Alamo which is ridiculously hard wearing. I have had it in the rain and no problems with numerous incidents with abrasions and yet still zero marks! Very matte and dry leather.

I have considered the Barda in Sikkim before but not sure I liked how it hangs on the bag without much structure.

The color I chose was Basalte which seems not to be a common Hermes color but I suppose it is somewhat close to a darker version of Etain. It is paired with an Indigo Bleu strap that matches Basalte perfectly.

Extremely versatile, I use it for both work and leisure, as well as for travel.

Last edited:
Reactions: obsessedwhermes