Mercari Buyer (Scammer) Trying to Claim My Coach Bag is Fake...

skirtl

Jan 10, 2017
I got a cheaper small Coach bag for Christmas from my middle-aged/elderly family. And sold it.

I was very surprised at the thoughtful gift, but decided to sell since my finances are what they are and Coach really isn't my lifestyle/budget right now and since I like larger bags than that. My elderly relatives live near the Coach Outlet, in the suburbs. It's not like they shop fakes, nor do they know how to shop online. At all. I seriously had to show them how to connect to wi-fi. There's no street vendors selling fakes in their state (seriously the suburbs). They literally don't know how to shop online. It was gifted to me in the exact bag that Coach Outlet stores give you, along with the Coach price tag on it. I looked at it, debating if I was going to keep or it use it, and it's a nice bag-- zero signs of it being fake. Smelled good, felt good, everything the usual good Coach quality. I've had Coach bags I bought from the retail stores before, so I like to think I could spot a fake. I looked at it carefully before listing. Elderly relatives wouldn't have had any other way of purchasing it other than at the Coach Outlet like they said they did (they live in the suburbs with no fake bag stores in their city and don't know how to shop online, and it came new with tags with the Coach Outlet Bag). So, I can't imagine ANY chance of it being fake. I highly doubt the Coach Outlet would allow a fake bag into the store, not even with a buyer return bringing back a fake.

So, I sold the Coach bag on Mercari. It's a nice bag, not really my style or budget, so I sold it new with tags.

It's a small Coach outlet bag, barely tops the $100 mark. Their usual signature bags that are low-end.

Now, the buyer is trying to scam me, claiming it's fake.

- Mercari buyer bought the bag
- Mercari buyer rated me "Great!"
- A few days later, Mercari buyer said they took it to a Coach store, who said it was fake (WHAT?!?!)
- The buyer has the bag in their possession. Mercari already gave me the funds, and I deposited that to my bank.

Can Mercari refund a buyer who already rated a Seller (me) as "Great!"?
That completed the Mercari Transaction, and i already got paid. Obviously it's a real bag as far as I know, nice, new with tags, etc. Buyer already rated it as great, and I'm guessing they're having buyer's remorse now trying to get a return or discount by claiming it's a fake (it's not). This buyer had plenty of good feedback, but they did have a few complaints from sellers of them trying to not rate (so they didn't have to pay), of trying to get a return saying the bag is the wrong size (that person's listing said the exact measurements in inches), and other buyer's remorse feedback.

Coach stores, I know, don't authenticate-- but buyer is trying to claim it's fake because of some Coach store employee calling it a fake.

I'm very insulted a buyer would claim it's a fake, especially after rating it/me as "great seller" then threatening to report me saying it's a fake. I don't like fakes, I don't see the point in them- I like Coach because of the quality, not the logo. I like to think I would notice a fake, and I don't doubt my relative's bought my Christmas present (Coach bag) from the Coach Outlet store that's 20 minutes away from them.

Can Mercari refund a buyer who already rated a Seller (me) as "Great!"?

What should I do?

On Mercari, once a rating is submitted it's a done deal. If there's a problem with a transaction the buyer needs to inform Mercari before rating and the funds are released. They didn't do that and the transaction is complete at this point, you should be fine. Sorry some people are jerks :sad:

That's good to hear! :smile:

Definitely a relief. I was worried I got scammed here, likely never seeing the bag again, and losing the money. Yikes.

I'm not sure why the random Coach store employee told this scammer/buyer that it was a fake, but I'm guessing they had some store manager tell them to tell anyone who buys online at unauthorized stores that they're fake or can't be authenticated. Who knows.

That's good to hear! :smile:

Definitely a relief. I was worried I got scammed here, likely never seeing the bag again, and losing the money. Yikes.

I'm not sure why the random Coach store employee told this scammer/buyer that it was a fake, but I'm guessing they had some store manager tell them to tell anyone who buys online at unauthorized stores that they're fake or can't be authenticated. Who knows.

It's possible that if they took it to a Coach boutique they didn't recognize the bag since it was an outlet piece. But they could also be lying about taking it anywhere in the first place. Anyway, you should be fine since Mercari already released your funds. [emoji106]