Food Menu Help...Please!!!

Crystalina

O.G.
Mar 22, 2007
Hi, everyone!

Ok, I'm nervous because I'm having to of my friends over on Friday eve for a girls night. We are all teachers and work together....so I don't know why I am so nervous about feeding them b/c we are friends, but I am NOT a cook by any means!

Anyway, originally I had planned on serving some white wine and Skinny Girl margaritas with snacks (popcorn, chips, cookies....junk food like they requested), but now we are meeting earlier (at 6 pm).

Thus, I think I need to serve a light dinner. BUT WHAT?

Would you please help me come up with a little menu of drinks, lite meal and snacks?

Thank you!!! :flowers:

What are you comfortable cooking? Are you looking for simple recipes? Are there good places you can get some premade food near you?

It's summer, you can get away with something light, and it doesn't have to be hot.

-Gazpacho isn't hard, and perfect for this time of year.

-Make a basic green salad, and your own version of a salad bar with some things for people to add in. Cut up some veggies, feta cheese, shred the meat from a rotisserie chicken, etc. Put out a couple of dressings.

-Easy to make a raw tomato sauce ahead of time, and then you just have to boil pasta while your friends are there. There are plenty of easy pasta dishes, and you just need to add a salad to have a complete meal.

-Salad Nicoise

-Buy some cheeses, salamis, olives, marinated artichoke hearts, hummus, good bread, etc. People are happy to graze.

Don't make yourself crazy, I'm sure they'll just be happy to hang out together and have a couple of drinks.

I agree with the above poster.

My go-to items are a cheese platter (usually 3 types with table crackers), hot seafood or spinach/artichoke dip with pita chips, sandwich tray, fruit plate w/ dip, and/or veggie plate w/ dip.

My secret to an easy fruit tray: grapes, strawberries, and pre-cut pineapple with "homemade" dip (1 jar of marshmallow cream + 1 package of cream cheese mixed with a fork).

What are you comfortable cooking? Are you looking for simple recipes? Are there good places you can get some premade food near you?

It's summer, you can get away with something light, and it doesn't have to be hot.

-Gazpacho isn't hard, and perfect for this time of year.

-Make a basic green salad, and your own version of a salad bar with some things for people to add in. Cut up some veggies, feta cheese, shred the meat from a rotisserie chicken, etc. Put out a couple of dressings.

-Easy to make a raw tomato sauce ahead of time, and then you just have to boil pasta while your friends are there. There are plenty of easy pasta dishes, and you just need to add a salad to have a complete meal.

-Salad Nicoise

-Buy some cheeses, salamis, olives, marinated artichoke hearts, hummus, good bread, etc. People are happy to graze.

Don't make yourself crazy, I'm sure they'll just be happy to hang out together and have a couple of drinks.

great suggestions... nice &easy & sounds yummy

I know I'm late, but if in the future you'd like to prepare something easy that tastes really delicious, try my best friend Irene's recipe for samosas. It takes a little time, but it's time well-spent for the yum-effect.

Get a package of puff pastry. Thaw.

Chop an onion, a clove of garlic, sautee in a little oil. Add ground beef, let it turn really brown and dry while stirring. Add a good amount of curry powder, salt and pepper, mix well.

Cut the puff pastry into squares, put a good teaspoon of filling into the center, fold it together to form a triangle. To make the edges stick together, put a little cold water on them before folding, then use a fork to squeeze them together. Brush with a little egg yolk, bake at medium heat until puffy and golden.

Another filling that is really delicious and quickly made, although it sounds a little strange: Cream cheese, chopped hard-cooked egg, drained tuna and a good teaspoon of green pepper corns in brine. Mix, proceed as above with the little triangles. Trust me, these little morsels have disappeared from the platter so fast I didn't even get hold of one!