men's reporter bag--thoughts?

ultravisitor

Dec 9, 2016
I've never had anything from Balenciaga, but I'm going to Paris this summer and was thinking of possibly getting one of their bags. My sister thinks it's a bit too purse-y--what do you people think? Does anyone have the reporter bag from the men's collection? I'm wondering exactly how big it is (it looks pretty big--maybe too big--in the pics) and I'm wondering how easy it would be to wear cross body. Typically, how would you rate the quality of Balenciaga bags?

It's also available in black or grey, but I'm kinda partial to the blue.
45298532VI_12_n_f.jpg

45298532VI_12_n_a.jpg

I've never had anything from Balenciaga, but I'm going to Paris this summer and was thinking of possibly getting one of their bags. My sister thinks it's a bit too purse-y--what do you people think? Does anyone have the reporter bag from the men's collection? I'm wondering exactly how big it is (it looks pretty big--maybe too big--in the pics) and I'm wondering how easy it would be to wear cross body. Typically, how would you rate the quality of Balenciaga bags?

It's also available in black or grey, but I'm kinda partial to the blue.
45298532VI_12_n_f.jpg

45298532VI_12_n_a.jpg
I don't have one (gender female) but I don't find it purse-y, I find it very European. It has a more structured outline in the pics, but all Bal bags soften and slouch with use. They also start to look less large when they slouch. It just takes breaking in. Don't forget, it's completely stuffed for the photo as well.
Be sure you like the top opening however, I personally find those types of zipper openings with the rounded corners and more structured sides a bit hard to get in and out of. At least while they're new...but I'm going by the photos, haven't seen it IRL. Looks like it has enough strap for a cross body adjustment. I'd have preferred a leather strap myself. But it's a cool looking bag.

Thank you for the response. The structure versus slouchiness is something I was wondering about because it looks so stuffed like a pillow in the photo. I do wish it had a leather strap like the Day bag and I'd probably prefer the Day bag if I needed bag that big. I wish I could check them both out in person right now, but the selection of Balenciaga bags for men is quite lacking here in Chicago. I'll just have to wait to visit a boutique this summer.

I'll definitely keep in mind what you said about the zipper. I hadn't thought of that. I just like zippers across the top instead of flaps because I think flaps are annoying when trying to get in and out of the bag.

BTW, does the dye from Balenciaga bags bleed onto clothing?

Thank you for the response. The structure versus slouchiness is something I was wondering about because it looks so stuffed like a pillow in the photo. I do wish it had a leather strap like the Day bag and I'd probably prefer the Day bag if I needed bag that big. I wish I could check them both out in person right now, but the selection of Balenciaga bags for men is quite lacking here in Chicago. I'll just have to wait to visit a boutique this summer.

I'll definitely keep in mind what you said about the zipper. I hadn't thought of that. I just like zippers across the top instead of flaps because I think flaps are annoying when trying to get in and out of the bag.

BTW, does the dye from Balenciaga bags bleed onto clothing?

It is in fact stuffed like a pillow, so don't let that put you off. All of the bags on the Bal site are stuffed to the max. And regarding the zipper? Think of a zipper with a couple of inches of leather on either side. No flaps. I just find them a bit harder to get into. But no overhanging flaps.
I love the Day bag, I have several of them, both mens and womens, although all of mine are older bags. Less structure, a bit more of a black hole, but once broken in they hang very nicely. You might want to consider a pre-loved? I'll try to find a couple of photos to post. And no, no colour bleeding that I'm aware of, and I've never seen it brought up on tPF.

Edit here's a pic of me with an older men's Day, I'm 5'1" and around 100 lbs. I've had the strap shortened. This one's a bit of a beater but the leather is great.
DSC_0320.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Mariapia
That bag is beautiful :loveeyes: Gorgeous color!

Ugh. Now I definitely have to consider the Day because it looks so nice all broken in like that and not too gigantic. I'm also just a bit taller than you, so the picture gives me a good idea of size.

Thank you!

That bag is beautiful :loveeyes: Gorgeous color!

Ugh. Now I definitely have to consider the Day because it looks so nice all broken in like that and not too gigantic. I'm also just a bit taller than you, so the picture gives me a good idea of size.

Thank you!
My pleasure, I love pre-loved, just be sure to post them here for authentication first if you go that route!

I really do recommend to try to find a store that carries men's messenger bags, because if what you want is to wear it cross body, the strap could be an issue. I have a Day bag and I find that the strap is a bit too short, so it looks kinda weird on me when it's stuffed and I want to wear it crosbody. It took me some time to get used to this, but it's just personal preference. I've tried other B messenger bags and they seem to all have the same strap length.
IMG_7045.JPG

As for quality of the leather, it's really thin, which is good because they're all light bags, but it's also bad because they can't carry way too much. That's what I did with mine and look what happened:
IMG_7050.JPG
The seam that keeps together the bag and the end of the strap ripped. I don't think that would be possible with a smaller bag, but keep it in mind.

Buy what you love though, no matter if it looks pursey. Have you looked into Mulberry or Bottega Veneta? They also make amazing leather crossbodies.

I really do recommend to try to find a store that carries men's messenger bags, because if what you want is to wear it cross body, the strap could be an issue. I have a Day bag and I find that the strap is a bit too short, so it looks kinda weird on me when it's stuffed and I want to wear it crosbody. It took me some time to get used to this, but it's just personal preference. I've tried other B messenger bags and they seem to all have the same strap length.
View attachment 3608670

As for quality of the leather, it's really thin, which is good because they're all light bags, but it's also bad because they can't carry way too much. That's what I did with mine and look what happened:
View attachment 3608671
The seam that keeps together the bag and the end of the strap ripped. I don't think that would be possible with a smaller bag, but keep it in mind.

Buy what you love though, no matter if it looks pursey. Have you looked into Mulberry or Bottega Veneta? They also make amazing leather crossbodies.
Did you buy yours in a boutique? Have the bill and docs???

Yes. I wasn't so sure about buying one full price so I got one at the outlet in Florence (The Mall) to see how I felt about it. It came with the authenticity papers, collection, materials, a sample of the leather. Apparently it's from 2014
If you have all docs you can take it back to Bal store and ask them for repairs, this bag is meant to be used, and if you cannot load it with your stuff then what's the point of buying it????

View attachment 3608670

View attachment 3608671

Hmmm, I don't recognize that particular bag, my men's Days are oldies and have very long straps, the strap style has changed since the early bags. I have a friend who has an oldie as well and he carries quite a bit in it without mishap.

Last edited:
Reactions: ksuromax
Hmmm, I don't recognize that particular bag, my men's Days are oldies and have very long straps, the strap style has changed since the early bags. I have a friend who has an oldie as well and he carries quite a bit in it without mishap.
I know, I had never seen it before getting it. I've done my research, but I've never found anything like it. This is the tag from which I suppose is from a 2014 collection. Maybe this specific kind of leather is more prone to being damaged due to weight?
IMG_7093.JPG

I know, I had never seen it before getting it. I've done my research, but I've never found anything like it. This is the tag from which I suppose is from a 2014 collection. Maybe this specific kind of leather is more prone to being damaged due to weight?
View attachment 3610113
I can't really see from your earlier posted pix, is the bag actually made of 2 different types of leather?

I can't really see from your earlier posted pix, is the bag actually made of 2 different types of leather?
I did a little searching, the fleur pigmentee corrigee seems to refer to a leather treatment, just as the aniline reference does. if you look at the pic Ksuromax, the bottom and leather behind the studs look to be of one type of leather while the body is different. I'm finding this very interesting. gucceelin, can you post pics of all of the reference points on the bag? Back of the zipper head, rivets, front and back of the interior tag? It might help us find more info. And to authenticate :smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: ksuromax