Menopause and tummy tuck. Any advice?

Michele_818

May 27, 2016
Hi all,
Posting my first thread here. I am thinking about getting a tummy tuck procedure from http://www.sliwinplasticsurgery.com and yesterday I posted about this in a whatsapp group. Most of my friends advised me to wait until the complete menopause. Due to my curiosity, I searched in Google and read some articles about the same. I found some articles that advice people not to get the TT before menopause. I had my uterus removed in a surgery and having symptoms of early menopause. Should I wait until the complete menopause? Is there any issue in getting tummy tuck after the uterus removal surgery?

I'm 47 and peri-menopausal and had a hernia repair/TT/muscle repair back in January. I'm not sure how menopause would affect the outcome of a TT? I would talk to the doctor about it but I've done a lot of research on this and this question was never asked.

The surgery/recovery is tough, but I would do it all over again. I'm still recovering, it can take up to one year to recover and every day is something new. There is a lot of swelling involved with the healing process but I'm fine with that because I know it's not going to be forever. I was 5'1"/125 pounds before and now I'm 116-118 lbs (same height, LOL!) I work out regularly, had two kids via C-section.

I find that I am even more disciplined about exercising and eating well because this surgery was so expensive. I don't want to undo all of the time, money, and healing to just go back to where I was. Make sure you have gone to a few different doctors, each one is different and there are many schools of thought when it comes to drains, pain management and recovery garments. This is a major surgery and extremely extensive, be thoughtful and go with your instincts.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have discussed with my doctor and he told me that it is normal to get TT before the complete menopause. But there are chances of complication when the recovery takes time. Anyways, I am planned to book the surgery. I am concerned about the post surgery life. Will it affect my sexual life?

Thanks for the replies guys. I have discussed with my doctor and he told me that it is normal to get TT before the complete menopause. But there are chances of complication when the recovery takes time. Anyways, I am planned to book the surgery. I am concerned about the post surgery life. Will it affect my sexual life?

Any abdominal surgery will affect how you can use those muscles until you heal, and you may not regain feeling in the skin on your stomach, but there should be no specific sexual problem once you're healed.

I consulted with 3 doctors before I picked one and had my TT and the subject of menopause didn't come up. I'm surprised that it would even be a factor actually.

It is a tough recovery. When I felt a sneeze coming at about day 3 post op I thought that would be the end of me, but I lived through that sneeze. I'm so glad I had the surgery and feel great about my body again. I hope you have a good experience.

There is no reason not to have a tummy tuck. It would be best to consult your surgeon regarding your options. I had my tummy tuck in Manila, Philippines during my post-menopausal stage. Good thing my surgeon, Dr Rino Lorenzo, guided me all throughout the whole TT process. Good luck to everyone.