Men wearing heels??

moonman

Jan 4, 2013
Hey all...
This is an off-shoot of another thread where I saw this mentioned by a few people. So I thought I'd get your opinions on this thread.

As the title suggests I'm basically looking for everyone's opinions on guys wearing heels. Not in any kind of weird fetish type way or anything else weird. Just simply as a fashion choice. It's been mentioned in the media allot lately and designers are even starting to jump on board with it.

I'm a guy and I've been wearing heels for ages as part of my general fashion choice. Generally, if people notice I would by large get compliments. But I wear them as part of a co-ordinated outfit, so they don't look out of place. The type of thing I'm talking about is things like boots with a block type heel of around 3 - 4 inches, nothing too extreme. I would wear them with bootcut jeans or trousers, so they are not really that noticeable. The most extreme thing I've worn was with my girlfriend to a formal dinner event where she suggested a pointed toe pair with a thinner heel.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that one out there and see what everyone thought.

3-4 inches is a lot of me... I'm okay if the guy wears a chunky heel <2 inches... especially in a boot or wedge shape, and I'm thinking like RO's boots/shoes.

However if the heel goes too high (>2inches) and in a rather feminine style (ie pointy as you mentioned) - sorry, not a fan from the way I imagine it. Or I'd definitely need to see the shoes and entire outfit.

Then again, if you're very keen on getting a pair, disregard what I say. Enjoy your shoes and wear whatever makes you happy.

Reactions: incessantlyXchic
I'm pretty cool with guys pushing the fashion norm and my boyfriend wears heels everyday everything from chunky heel boots to stiletto boots to pumps and I think it's awesome! I will say though that you have to have a certain look to pull it off. My boyfriend is super skinny and wears very fitted clothes and it works for him but if you're a big guy I just don't see it happening.

I think my boyfriend would look great in some classic two inches shoes or even a snicker with a thicker bottom...I think I'd need to see 3-4 inches with the outfit before I say yay or nay though.

Hey all,
Thanks for all the replies so far. I'll take a picture just to show the type of thing I'm talking about. But basically, it would be block heel boots etc (3/4inches) with bootcut/flared type jeans. Its only the odd time like the event I listed where I wore pointed toes/thinner heel. So with the bootcut type jeans you only really see the part of the heel. The aim is to make it all co-ordinated with the outfit.

I'm pretty cool with guys pushing the fashion norm and my boyfriend wears heels everyday everything from chunky heel boots to stiletto boots to pumps and I think it's awesome! I will say though that you have to have a certain look to pull it off. My boyfriend is super skinny and wears very fitted clothes and it works for him but if you're a big guy I just don't see it happening.

Awesome, glad you think its cool. Its great to hear someone who just thinks of them as just shoes and the idea of pushing the boundaries. But yes, I', the same very skinny and 5'6" tall so even in heels im not a giant.

I think it is just a matter of personal taste, but I don't think it will become mainstream anytime soon, nor do I think most people would be/are very accepting of it. Up to 2" is one thing and can be pulled off as a Cuban heel or boot, but 3-4" is quite tall and noticeable. Designers have heels for men on the runway all the time, and yet it remains a runway-only type of look.

But ultimately the only thing that really matters is if you are okay with the way you look and are comfortable with it. No one else needs to approve your fashion choices or mine. I personally wouldn't be okay with anything except boots with a small heel for my DH (engineer boots, cowboy boots, etc.); then again, he is already tall enough to turn heads, so I doubt he would feel comfortable with any additional height.

There seem to be a number of sites and even threads here on this forum with guys wearing high heels so it's not terribly uncommon I assume.

Cowboy boots = yes. Prince in heels = yes. David Bowie in heels = yes. Everyone else = probably not!

Funny you said this because the first image that popped into my head when I thought of a man wearing heels, was Prince:lol: In general, a man in heels is not a look that I would care for. It would lead me to assume that a man has some sort of insecurity with his height. However, as the previous poster mentioned, if you're comfortable with it (and like the look), then that's what matters most:smile:

Funny you said this because the first image that popped into my head when I thought of a man wearing heels, was Prince:lol: In general, a man in heels is not a look that I would care for. It would lead me to assume that a man has some sort of insecurity with his height. However, as the previous poster mentioned, if you're comfortable with it (and like the look), then that's what matters most:smile:

Or fetishists

There were many, many men at the Lady Gaga concert wearing heels, mostly the heel-less heels a la Zanotti. Whenever I see men in heels I definitely turn my head because it's not expected.

Hmm. I've actually never seen a straight man in heels--that is, something like pumps or stilettos. I cam imagine boots with a small thick heel. But nothing with a skinny heel.

I love the look when I see fashion forward transgender, transexual, or gay men wearing them! I guess I would just be a little surprised seeing a straight man coordinating them into his wardrobe :smile:

Hmm. I've actually never seen a straight man in heels--that is, something like pumps or stilettos. I cam imagine boots with a small thick heel. But nothing with a skinny heel.

I love the look when I see fashion forward transgender, transexual, or gay men wearing them! I guess I would just be a little surprised seeing a straight man coordinating them into his wardrobe :smile:

Well my boyfriend is bi but he wears heels and I mean real heels everyday!!

I have known A LOT of gay men in my lifetime. None of them have ever worn women's heels. They all dressed like.... uh, well... men.