Meltonian All Purpose Cleaner Review*!

tenshix

¤ m . k . j ¤
O.G.
Apr 21, 2009
* Or a half review half advice-seeking for those who are already familiar with the product..

Today my Meltonian cleaner came in the mail and I was super excited to use it right away on my mom's vintage lambskin classic that had some color transfer spots to it. I've read the thread where the cleaner worked WONDERS to take off transfer colors on a red caviar, leaving it impeccable and spotless! And before buying it straight away I also read throughout the thread and saw that it worked for most people (more often than not) on their lambskins, caviar, etc. so I thought I'd give it a try.

I was too excited to remember taking the BEFORE pictures so unfortunately I can't include any here right now.. :sad: But basically my mom's lambskin used to be a gorgeous beige/ivory color but it pretty much faded into a clay-like grey-brown over 15 years or so.. And she barely used it, but once it was taken out of the box I was just like :shocked: *utter shock*. Even so, it still retained its classic beauty and it was wonderful it its own, vintage way. So one night I took it out with me on a date in October 2009 and when I came back home rather tipsy it was another :shocked: moment and I was freaking out over the color transfer spot that I found (even though it's like smaller than your pinky-finger nail kind of spot.. But still). Needless to say I was devastated but at the time I hadn't thought of going to Purse Forum to share my distresses on what I should do, so I left it as it is.. Only recently did I start browsing PF again and found the miracles that Meltonian was said to do, so I'm hoping that it will work.

So this is a pretty much step-by-step of what I did as a Meltonian/cleaner newbie:
- Shook the bottle of the cleaner as instructed, then poured some of it on a clean soft cloth and evened the liquid out on the cloth
- Began wiping gently over the bag, concentrating first on the spot and :wtf: IT TURNS BLACK!
- Freaking out over the discoloration but it was already a big splotch so what the hell, let's go through with it..
- Started wiping gently all over the bag and realized that when it dries over time the original color is back... Thank God.
- Lightly buffing all over
- Buffing for quite a while on the spot.. But to no avail :sad: Maybe the spot has been there for too long?
- Now letting it hang dry and hoping it at least faded the spot a little

So that's what I have for now. I'm going to go out for the day and I'm hoping when I come back the bag will be completely dry and cleaner than it was before, and also for the spot to have faded. I will update this with pictures to show you all how it turned out!

(If the spot didn't work out, maybe I could try buffing it a few more times to fade it out more.. *desperate*)

Hey ladies! It's been approximately 10 hours or so since I've left the vintage Chanel to dry.. And this update is not going to be completely happy news. :sad: Here are some pictures of the front and the back:

aIMG_0501.png

aIMG_0502.png

And as you can see.. The spot in the front has NOT gone away though it seems to have faded away a little bit but overall it looks like the bag is not completely dry yet. I truly hope that this is the case because discoloration to the bag would just.. Kill me.

However when you see the back it looks like it's fine, but this is probably because I spent more time buffing the front (most especially the spot). Also, the bag doesn't look too much different from before I cleaned it and afterwards. I believe this is because the bag is rather old and it discolored by itself over time, so it wasn't really dirty to begin with. I also suspect the spot hasn't gone away because it was there for a long time and probably seeped into the leather or has combined with it already. :sad:

I am going to update again in the morning or tomorrow afternoon or so when I hope it will be COMPLETELY dry! It -is- cold right now and I didn't put it in a place where there was sunlight (in fear of more discoloration) so I think I just need to give it a lot of time to air out and dry.

Oh dear, the front looks bad... I really hope it dries out to look like the back does. I always use Meltonian sparingly on my lambskins, making sure to spread it out on a piece of cloth first. Crossing my fingers for you, and thanks for sharing the report! :biggrin:

I have bad news yet again... :sad: I left it out overnight but it looks like it's still exactly the same as it was last night in the pictures.. Argh!! I'm not sure what I should do now, should I try to clean it again with a little less this time? Or leave it out for a lot longer over a few days and see what happens?

I did spread it out on the cloth first but I think I buffed out the front too much. Oh pooh. :crybaby:

So sorry to hear that, hon!! Let it air dry for a bit longer, don't do anything else to it yet. Also, if you really want to save the bag, maybe contact Barbara at LMB and she can tell you if she can help. GL!!

It looks like you used a bit too much of the conditioner. Lambskin soaks in that stuff pretty quickly! Did you use a more porous cloth or a sponge (which would've taken away the excess conditioner)? Oh dear. I agree with the other posters, looks like the bag needs professional treatment.

I used the soft cloth for buffing leather shoes.. It was new but I do think I might have overdone it with the conditioner. I'm going to let it air dry for another day or so before I find some help..

Though I did read the thread about a TPF member (and a few others who said the same thing happened to them) who had hers sent to Chanel and then NM repairs and it ended up worse than the original state. That terrified me!!

op,

you must be used it too much. It soaked into the leather already.

1. use hair dryer to dry blow it with cool warm air not hot.

2. if it is still dark after another day or so, try to use meltonian cream #170 to lighten its color.