Melinda and Bill Gates divorce after 27 years

I also don't think that we will see Bill Gates dating a 25 year old model. He seems value women with an extremely high intelligence quota. Rumor has it, while he was at Harvard, he would ask girls for their SAT scores before asking them out!
I guess that's better than being asked for your measurements :P

I don't think the Giving Pledge is entirely selfless (and that's ok, most decisions aren't)... Just speculating but I feel like these factors must play somewhat into why people do that:
  1. Send a warning shot to your kids that they can't coast off your money forever
  2. Set an example for your kids to be charitable themselves
  3. Make sure your idiot kids (if they're idiots) don't ruin their lives with drugs and partying off your money
  4. Prevent a cluster of a legal battle among your family for inheritance when you die. This would actually be a top concern for me - that stuff seems to tear families apart and no one benefits but the lawyers. What a waste of "my" hard earned money. ;)

I would think that if the kids have a shred of ambition, they’d take advantage (in a good way) of their parents’ resources and connections while still alive so that $10m wouldn’t be necessary.

He does pour a lot of money into charity now... I think the point of the giving pledge was to ensure, after you die, you don't leave it to chance that your children have the same values by directly donating most of the estate when you die.

I think I read that their foundation must disburse all of its assets within 20 years of the deaths of Bill or Melinda, whichever death is latest being the trigger, to keep it from going on and on forever and being run for the benefit of the administrators and staff. That's actually pretty wise of them.

Wasn’t it typical of any male dominated fields?
what is it? 80/20 at most?
I think it was more like 70/30 for our office. Removing anecdote due to fact I'm not interested in coming across as disparaging anyone or debating Bill Gates' emotional stability. We had great careers and were happy to have the opportunity to work for such a great company. I return to the fact that I am sad for both of them.

Last edited:
I did get to chucking when I thought about the time my husband was on stage demoing a new product release with Bill at a major computer show. The system crashed and he said he was pretty sure he was going to get fired after that. Bill did read him the riot act but he stood his ground and said he knew what went wrong and how to fix it. To which Bill said well don't ever let that happen again. It didn't. Whew! He always said Bill had a temper, but if you had a good response and knew what to do he would respect that.

That sort of response Bill had would not work in todays corporate world. Employees would not accept that kind of attitude. It sounds like he has low emotional intelligence and this is something that companies have been addressing in the workplace. This could be a reason for the divorce, his lack of emotional intelligence could have led to relationship problems. I wonder if he has Aspergers syndrome. He wrote a review of a book called 'the rosie project' which his wife recommended because the protagonist appeared to be like Bill. The protagonist is Don Tillman, a genetics professor who makes a questionnaire to find a bride. Side note: It is a really good book in case someone needs reading recommendations.

Bill, WTF did you do!!