Style Melania Style Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this means that after Labor Day you're not supposed to wear white at all? Not even a pair of white shoes or a white scarf? What about shirts?
This "rule" seems really weird...

It is really weird. Like it was mentioned, it came from the elite as yet another way to feel superior to working class people. It's just a tradition that people use to judge others.

Reactions: millivanilli
A classic white shirt is year-round. White pants, shoes, bags, belts, and dresses are frowned upon after Labor Day in some areas. "Winter white" or cream/off-white in winter fabrics (i.e. wool) are ok and can look nice as long as they're not stark white. Seersucker is also Easter through Labor Day only.

It is really weird. Like it was mentioned, it came from the elite as yet another way to feel superior to working class people. It's just a tradition that people use to judge others.

Thank you for the clarifications.
As another poster mentioned, this practice seems really odd to non Americans.
In Europe you can wear white all year round. Hence the color "winter white".
I'm not saying you can go around in the middle of the winter with a strappy white dress but at least white pants, blouses, sweaters, coats etc. are not frowned upon!

As this is a Melania style thread though, I really hope she doesn't follow that rule. Melania is one of the few women I've seen that can wear the total white look and look fabulous. Not many people can pull that off. I hope she continues to wear white or at least off white clothing even during the winter time.

I'm not saying you can go around in the middle of the winter with a strappy white dress but at least white pants, blouses, sweaters, coats etc. are not frowned upon!

As this is a Melania style thread though, I really hope she doesn't follow that rule. Melania is one of the few women I've seen that can wear the total white look and look fabulous. Not many people can pull that off. I hope she continues to wear white or at least off white clothing even during the winter time.

Ooohhh I love winter white!!!

It's really a ridiculous rule, but it's practiced in my area of the country. I'd get sideways glances in a white dress right now. I hate it, but abide by the "rules."

As the Emily Post Insitute notes,

Of course you can wear white after Labor Day, and it makes perfect sense to do so in climates where September’s temperatures are hardly fall-like. It’s more about fabric choice today than color. Even in the dead of winter in northern New England the fashionable wear white wools, cashmeres, jeans, and down-filled parkas. The true interpretation is wear what’s appropriate—for the weather, the season, or the occasion.
https://www.good.is/articles/labor-day-fashion-rules

I have white wools, cashmere, silks, and a ski outfit all in white.

Status
Not open for further replies.