Mel Gibson

Status
Not open for further replies.
chloe-babe said:
But, we have all gone out and got drunk before (not driven I hasten to add),

Um not everyone has gotten drunk. I never have and I don't mean that in a pious way. I just choose not to. I really only drink a Smirnoff ice every blue moon and that is because it tastes like Sprite.

Anyway, whether he was a jerk or not, addictions are sad period. I really hope he gets some help for this.

Leah411 said:
It just so happens that I have watched that movie.

BUT...I don't get my education about addiction (or anything else) from Hollywood fiction.

And I don't recall any message in that movie saying it's okay to drive drunk and make bigoted and sexist statements just because you're an addict.

And when drunk drivers kill and injure people, the judges I work with don't say "Oh let's let the poor fellow go. He's an addict. He couldn't help it." They hold them responsible for their actions. There is no 'not guilty by reason of addiction' sentence. Nor should there be!

As Mel Gibson should be held responsible for HIS actions. He'd been given a pass on previous occasions of drunken driving. It's past time for him to be held responsible.

When someone repeatedly drives drunk, it's not a matter of 'if' they will hurt/kill someone....it's a matter of when.

But, hey...I guess that's okay to do if you're an addict.

I think there are 2 camps. Some people will obviously think that the alcohol addiction is bull**** and nothing more than plain lame excuses. They think that driving under the influence of alcohol is very wrong regardless of situation. They are outraged by what he said about women and Jews. They think he was disinhibited, let his guard down hence speaking his mind. You obviously belong to this camp. I respect that.

There is another camp who wants to give him the benefit of the doubt. They believe that he truly has alcohol dependence. And they believe that the extent of the destructiveness of alcohol dependence on one's life can be limitless. I belong to that camp. I do not condone what he has done. But I'll leave it to the Court to judge him for his alleged crimes and mete out the punishments. I hope u respect my view.

With regards to your opinion on addiction, and saying that

"Every time an addict uses or decides NOT to use...he makes a choice.

ALL of the addicts mentioned above make choices every day whether or not to act on their addictions.

An alcoholic can CHOOSE NOT to drink. Drinking alcohol is not necessary for survival.

A food addict cannot choose never to eat. Eating is necessary for survival.

Drunk or sober...a man must take responsibility for his actions."

That is your opinion on addiction. I respectfully disagree.

For the time being I am closing this thread. I need to read through it all and can not right now because I am at work. But I am getting many complaints, so the best thing for me to do right now is close it.

Please realize that this issue is one that many people will not agree with each other. This is why Vlad and I do not have a section about religion/politics. So keep it all in consideration that people have different opinions and beliefs- and you can not blame them. This thread steered away from it's original course- to merely discuss his DUI. Since the other is closed, I am closing this one for now too. Thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.