Meet yoghurt, my cream chow chow

That is great that you were able to save Yoghurt, she is adorable. Is there a reason why Vodka is not spayed? Surely if your husband's parents can't take care of the dog without help she should not be able to get pregnant again. She could easily have died the last time.

Hi There,

Actually, we want to spay her but operations are not recommended for chows. They have low tolerance for anaesthesia and can die from anaesthesia alone so we don't want to risk her having any kind of operation-

When Vodka gets pregnant, she is being mated-- usually to another owner's dog that comes from a prestigious line to improve the breed further. Otherwise, she doesnt have contact with any male dog so its okay :smile:

Hi There,

Actually, we want to spay her but operations are not recommended for chows. They have low tolerance for anaesthesia and can die from anaesthesia alone so we don't want to risk her having any kind of operation-

When Vodka gets pregnant, she is being mated-- usually to another owner's dog that comes from a prestigious line to improve the breed further. Otherwise, she doesnt have contact with any male dog so its okay :smile:

First I want to commend you on the amazing job raising/saving the pup!

Also, this last post of yours really caught my eye. I think that breeding should only be left to the professional breeders (not backyard breeders,or even worse puppy mills). There are so many animals out there looking for a good home, especially the breeds targeted as vicicous such as chows,rotties,pitts etc.
Please rethink what you mean by "improving" the breed as many chows are currently homeless and some of which, by the same process of ex-owners wanting to "improve" the breed.
:sad:

I guess I'm confused. Why would your husband's parents agree to breed the dog if they are not able to care for her?? Also, many dogs are sensitive to anesthesia. My Greyhounds have to be closely monitored just to have their teeth cleaned. I found a competent vet and trust her to care for them properly. I have never heard of a dog that can't be spayed because it is too dangerous. And last question: Doesn't the owner of the male dog she was bred with get a say in where the puppies go? I thought they usually get a free puppy to further their breeding line. I just don't understand why this dog need to be bred I guess. You are very lucky she is still with you.

Hi There,

I think that breeding should only be left to the professional breeders (not backyard breeders,or even worse puppy mills). There are so many animals out there looking for a good home, especially the breeds targeted as vicicous such as chows,rotties,pitts etc.
Please rethink what you mean by "improving" the breed as many chows are currently homeless and some of which, by the same process of ex-owners wanting to "improve" the breed.
:sad:
I could not agree more :tup:

Also if you "wanted to spay her" then why would you keep breeding her??? If what you are saying is true as far as her not being able to be spayed (which is not accurate if you have a good vet) then why not just let her be unspayed??? Why the need to keep breeding her?? It is just contradictory to say you "wanted to spay her but can't" and then you breed her, it just makes no sense :confused1:

With 3-4 MILLION dogs being put to death each year, largely due to overpopulation, it's easy to see that some folks here will be uncomfortable with less-than-desirable breedings.

"An estimated 6 million to 8 million dogs and cats are cared for by shelters in the USA each year, and about half are euthanized, according to the Humane Society of the United States" source: http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cach...006&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us&client=firefox-a

I think an ideal breeding program would include owners that are fully able to care 100% for the mother, the puppies, and ensure that life-time caring homes were located *BEFORE BREEDING* for all possible puppies. Additionally, the goal of a solid breeding program would be to improve future stock by only breeding proven parents (ie ones with extensive titles and track records of out-performing others of like breeding)

Hopefully you can help improve these stats with a responsible breeding program :flowers:

Yes, we got Vodka from a professional breeder.

We do not have male dogs so Vodka is mated specifically with a chosen male chow who has been tested to be free of illnesses, from the same breeder we got her from.

The breeding I am referring to is a joint effort between us and our friend who is the professional breeder and shows chows. He is the original owner of Vodka's parents. Yoghurt's dad is a show champion, and if her male siblings did not die--they will be with our friend and will be trained and shown as well since male chows look furrier and bigger than female chows. We breed our dogs specifically to have show champions-

We also never sell our chows, we do not breed to sell. They are for us, and for everyone in our family who loves the breed. Everyone in our family has an adopted chow chow from Vodka's past litter. If someone doesn't end up winning in the shows, it doesnt matter coz shows here don't involve cash prices at all, its not about money but just a fun way to introduce our dogs to people. I know in the States that shows have large cash prices but definitely not here, its just a social event for dog owners to meet one another.

Sadly, Brownie did not make it, he died 2 days after birth. Only Vodka survived.:crybaby:

When Brownie died, that was the time I decided to dognap Yoghurt because she was the only one left and I really wanted to save her.:crybaby:

Chow chows are a fairly new breed here in the Philippines and most vets do not know how to properly care for them and treat them. Some of them are even scared when you say that your dog is a chow chow, they would always ask "will they bite?"

I am quite knowledgeable with chow chows because I helped raise 3 of my husband's chows before Vodka, all of them are old now and are still alive. I guess my husband and I have studied chows so much that all our chows never had any kind of skin disease despite Manila being a warm place to live in. There are a lot of misconceptions about raising chow chows and I have proven that through the years of my husband owning 3 of them.

The main reason my husband did not take the chows with us is that they are excellent guard dogs and guards my in laws property. Since my in laws are old already, and they can afford to hire dog nannies, its better to keep the dogs than to hire security guards because with the dogs, you know they are loyal---its a different story when dealing with guards.

Another thing is that we live in a condo, but we do not plan to live here for long. Once we are able to acquire a bigger place, we will take them in--depending if my in laws still need them or not. Bottom line is that we also want to protect our in laws from burglars and thieves and having the dogs roam around the property at night does that.

If you are asking why we cant just move in our in laws house, its just not the right way to start married life. We want to be able to do this alone for now because its a bonding time for me and husband since we are almost newly married. :yes:

After what happened to her last pregnancy, we want to spay her--NOW.

But not before that because Vodka had a very easy pregnancy the 1st time. She gave birth to healthy puppies the 1st time so why would we spay her? All her litters are still with us, and we know we can afford to feed them and care for them so they can guard my in laws house.

I feel like I am being attacked here, I wonder what is wrong with mating a female chow so that we will have new puppies in the house? We do not sell them so why is it so bad? We certainly do not neglect them- Vodka having sourmilk is a common occurrence in chow pregnancies and I dont think we should be blamed for that either.
Her difficult pregnancy was due to her being overweight, not being underfed nor abused.

Is it so bad to dream of having new puppies and raising them well?

I just dont get this- why is it so bad to want to have chow puppies where you know who the mom is and you know who the dad is and you like them both so you want puppies like them...

We were able to study chows because of our experience with them, having them--if we did not have chows in the past-- I dont think we could have saved Yoghurt at all because the knowledge base just isnt there. Books are no good because everything there is very basic, reading about them is different from raising them in actual life conditions. I do not mind having chows again and again because I learn more and I learn new things about them. Each puppy is different and each one is unique- the learning never ends.

Hi guys,

To be honest, I do feel guilty about not being able to save the other pups that died but it was not really my place to get them because the vet advised my dad in law that they are too young to take away from their mom. If I took them and someone died, I would be blamed-

I dont want to upset my in laws, bottom line is I had to consider their feelings also versus the pups. They do not believe in my capability to handle the pups so they got upset when I wanted to take them home- they felt the pups might get worse. You know when older people act as if they know everything and treat you like a child when in fact you know more than they do? This is what I felt then-

When everyone died already, and only yoghurt survived, I knew there was nothing for them to say anymore because whether or not I take her, she might die like the rest so I knew they would not blame me if I took her after all of her siblings died. It was so fast, it only took 48 hours for all of pups to expire. I went there after work and saw that 1 by 1, they were dying even though the vet was just there a few hours ago.
wtf.gif

I dont know what is a valid reason for mating a female dog, but I feel that wanting to have more of her pups is not a bad reason to mate her. We love Vodka like family and its very rare for a chow to be nice like her so all her siblings are like her too--so its not hard for us to care for her puppies.

I dont really know what the issue is but as long as we know we are not abusing the dog, or maltreating her in any way-- I see nothing bad about it. We are not even selling her pups, thats something we would never do
yes.gif

With all of Vodka's past siblings, no one has died nor gotten sick and everyone is still with us and our families. Our chows have a happy comfortable life, definitely happier than many humans suffering right now
sad.gif