Medium Veneta or Old Ball?

yoyotomatoe

Live~Laugh~Love
O.G.
Jan 16, 2012
Hi ladies. I am new to BV and looking at making my first purchase. I have only seen the medium veneta and old ball online and was wondering about the difference? The old ball looks overall bigger with a longer handle drop am I
Correct? The reason asking is the listing I am looking at for the old ball gives the same measurements as the medium veneta, but to me there is clearly a size difference. But since I am new to BV and have never seen either IRL I am seeking your opinions and experience. Thanks!

The old Ball (or 'original' Ball) has four "open pockets" - two on each side - zippered middle section - and a 'base', which makes it wider than the medium Veneta. You'll get more in the Ball, by far, and if being able to sit the bag down and have it sit upright is important (i.e., not fall over) than again - the Ball would be the one.

BOTH are great bags, though - I can now say I've had (and have) both - I did not like the Ball only because I could never remember which of the pockets I put stuff in. The handle is longer.

I like my medium Veneta (I do not carry much, although I can fit my Kindle in her, along with wallet, couple of small cases, and other small odds and ends) and I am able to coerce her into sitting upright, but it takes a few seconds of fussing and telling her to "Sit". I can fit her on my shoulder (probably not over a heavy coat, however.)

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF BOTTEGA VENETA!

:biggrin:

The old Ball (or 'original' Ball) has four "open pockets" - two on each side - zippered middle section - and a 'base', which makes it wider than the medium Veneta. You'll get more in the Ball, by far, and if being able to sit the bag down and have it sit upright is important (i.e., not fall over) than again - the Ball would be the one.

BOTH are great bags, though - I can now say I've had (and have) both - I did not like the Ball only because I could never remember which of the pockets I put stuff in. The handle is longer.

I like my medium Veneta (I do not carry much, although I can fit my Kindle in her, along with wallet, couple of small cases, and other small odds and ends) and I am able to coerce her into sitting upright, but it takes a few seconds of fussing and telling her to "Sit". I can fit her on my shoulder (probably not over a heavy coat, however.)

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF BOTTEGA VENETA!

:biggrin:
Thank you Indiaink for your advice! I think I will get the medium veneta, although I like the longer strap on the old ball I prefer the look and size of the veneta. I hope this isn't the start to another new bag obsession:giggles:! Hopefully a reveal soon :biggrin:

Thank you Indiaink for your advice! I think I will get the medium veneta, although I like the longer strap on the old ball I prefer the look and size of the veneta. I hope this isn't the start to another new bag obsession:giggles:! Hopefully a reveal soon :biggrin:

You are quite welcome - and there is no hope for you - once you get a Bottega Veneta in your hands, your heart will be lost... :heart:

The original ball bag was one of my favorite bags
if it had been bigger I would have bought one
I love the idea of the 4 outside but hidden in the design of the bag pockets
It is truly form and function
one pocket for keys one for sunglasses one for cell one for tissues
plus the zipper pocket for everything you want hidden
alas and alack I don't think you can buy it new anymore

I have both a large Veneta and an Original Ball and I love them both:

I love the streamlined, thin, classic profile of the Veneta, and I love the convenience of the four outer pockets, the strap drop, and the shape on the Ball. I find they both easily fit a wallet, phone, sunglasses (in case), reading glasses (in case), and medium cosmetic pouch.

BV is definitely addicting. I've added to my collection three new-to-me bags and three SLG items in the last six months--and I'm always looking for the next "necessity." I love them all. Good luck with your choice!

Well ladies, I didn't think I could possibly understand the obsession with BV...but I went to the boutique today and omg! The leather is absolutely divine. The products are so timeless and absolutely classy and tasteful! I must say, I have just purchased the veneta in violet from ****** and will be doing a reveal soon! Thanks again ladies!

Well ladies, I didn't think I could possibly understand the obsession with BV...but I went to the boutique today and omg! The leather is absolutely divine. The products are so timeless and absolutely classy and tasteful! I must say, I have just purchased the veneta in violet from ****** and will be doing a reveal soon! Thanks again ladies!

YAY! Can't wait to see your reveal!!! What size did you get?

Hi Indiaink I got a medium, that is the only size there is in the Violet...which is perfect for me. Plan to get a large black veneta eventually....aaaahhh and so the obsession has begun :giggles:
Welcome to the BV obsession. I bumped into BV about 6 months ago, and I have been obsessed with BV since then...It's very addictive. :greengrin: Looking forward to your reveal