Medium boy bag or classic double flap medium

Boy quilted black caviar rhw med or classic dbl flap black caviar med gold/or slvr

• Boy

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Classic

Votes: 38 76.0%

• Total voters

Raerae0518

Oct 22, 2020
Hello
I am debating between these two bags. Both are the black caviar . I am leaning toward the rhw on the boy and torn between the silver vs gold on the classic flap. They are both beautiful and I have considered buying both but feel like it's just so much money to spend and a little concerned about them being a little too similar as both are also quilted but I prefer the quilted on the boy. I have never owned a designer purse so this is a treat to myself in my mid 30s. I was hoping for any input on them if you have both or one and your experience with wear and tear daily use etc. i also considered doing gold on the classic to differentiate them a little more but i have read about the gold tarnishing so wonder if maybe silver is a better choice but then both again would be silver hardware. Not sure if that again is too similar to be buying two. I don't want to just store them away and plan on using them as much as possible if I'm going to spend the money . Thanks for your help!!

I think most will advise you to go for the classic since it’s your first.. Classic flap and Boy bag are my 2 absolute favorite styles and if you can afford both (or maybe buy one now and the other later) I highly encourage you to do so.. they are both iconic and classic Chanel with different vibe/use!
I say get the classic flap with gold hardware and the boy bag with ruthenium :loveeyes:

Thank you so much for your input, I really appreciate it! I am in a position where I can do both Chanel's but think I am having a little buyers hesitation on the cost . I'm glad to hear the boy is also considered classic I worry more about it going out of style than the classic flap and had thought maybe that one should go and get something like a Celine belt bag to go along with the classic flap maybe for more diversity? I love the look of the boy though

Reactions: XCCX
I bought the boy bag as my first Chanel with RHW and absolutely love it! I never found myself wanting the classic flap. I like that I can wear the boy bag both on the shoulder and crossbody. My style is more casual so the boy bag is a better fit for me. I also don’t worry about it “going out of style” because I love it so much!

I think the boy feels a bit more casual for every day use. The classic is a beauty but you might feel like it is too fancy to wear every day. I myself was in doubt about the classic or the 2.55 and I chose the 2.55 because of it being a bit understated. But of course see what feels good for you.

Reactions: Raerae0518
I bought the boy bag as my first Chanel with RHW and absolutely love it! I never found myself wanting the classic flap. I like that I can wear the boy bag both on the shoulder and crossbody. My style is more casual so the boy bag is a better fit for me. I also don’t worry about it “going out of style” because I love it so much!
I love the fact that the boy can be worn so many ways too. I do love it as well!

Reactions: kombucha
I have never owned a designer purse so this is a treat to myself in my mid 30s. I was hoping for any input on them if you have both or one and your experience with wear and tear daily use etc.

do you know definitively that you are a chanel bag person? do you need to have quilts? I personally think chevron is a younger look. I also think a boy bag style is more youthful and still classic, but looks best with jeans, leggings etc. however, everyone has their own opinion. Perhaps look at action pics here to determine which one best suits your style.

hw preference? I don’t recommend buying two unless you’ve tried them both on with outfits you normally wear. If you aren’t near a boutique, fashionphile, yoogis or Ann’s fabulous finds are a good sources in the US.

pre 2008, I was primarily a Chanel bag person ( due to love of Chanel RTW), but then I switched to Hermes. I found the reissue a nice compromise between the classic flap and the boy in the sense that it’s more understated than the CF and can be styled casually like the the boy.

unlike many on TPF, I dont find lambskin to be extremely delicate and prefer it to caviar bc its a more luxurious hand feel, but ymmv. My latest Chanel from this summer was a so black mini chevron reissue that can be dressed up on the shoulder or worn crossbody.

Last edited:
I have both and I don't think they are similar.
Boy Bag - Single flap
Classic Flap - Double flap

Some people do not like the double flap as it gets in the way. I don't mind the double flap.
Are you ok with double flap? I find people either hate it or don't mind it.

Classic Flap
Pros - Classic so won't go out of style. Turn lock makes it easier to open and close the bag.
Cons - Very expensive. May not like double flap.

Boy Bag
Pros - Cheaper than classic. Single flap. Easier to style in my opinion as can wear with casual and dressy.
Cons - Some people say it is not as popular as it was a few years ago but if you love it, that doesn't matter. Harder to open and close the bag.

You must have a purse collection now, is your most used color black? If so then go for black for both.
If your most used color is black and another color, then you could consider buying 1 black and 1 another color.

It's been 20 years since my first Chanel bag. At the beginning I had no interest in classic flaps. I only bought seasonal bags because that is what I loved at that time. I sold them all (lost a lot of money). In the last 5 years, I am crazy for classic flaps. I just bought my first boy bag 1 week ago. I am happy with 1 boy bag and no desire to buy more.
I have over 15 quilted classic flaps in many colors (not a fan of chevron) and mostly with gold or light gold hardware. The only classic flap that has silver hardware is the red one. For some reason I am not a fan of gold with red.

Hope this helps and let us know what you decided on.
If you can buy both I will as Chanel increases their price 2 or 3 times per year. If you buy both, I agree you should not get silver hardware for the classic but if the gold tarnishing bothers you then maybe you should.
None of my gold hardware has tarnished but I am not careless with my bags or take them to the beach around salt water. If they do tarnish you can send it to Leather Surgeons and they can fix that.

Buy what makes you happy.

Thank you so much for your input, I really appreciate it! I am in a position where I can do both Chanel's but think I am having a little buyers hesitation on the cost . I'm glad to hear the boy is also considered classic I worry more about it going out of style than the classic flap and had thought maybe that one should go and get something like a Celine belt bag to go along with the classic flap maybe for more diversity? I love the look of the boy though
My thoughts are the Celine belt bag will go out of style before the Chanel Boy Bag. I loved the Celine belt bag and almost bought it but people say it is so hard to open and close. I went to a store and tried it out. I am glad I didn't buy it but I was soooo close to getting one. I still think it is beautiful but won't be adding it to my Celine collection.

I have both and I don't think they are similar.
Boy Bag - Single flap
Classic Flap - Double flap

Some people do not like the double flap as it gets in the way. I don't mind the double flap.
Are you ok with double flap? I find people either hate it or don't mind it.

Classic Flap
Pros - Classic so won't go out of style. Turn lock makes it easier to open and close the bag.
Cons - Very expensive. May not like double flap.

Boy Bag
Pros - Cheaper than classic. Single flap. Easier to style in my opinion as can wear with casual and dressy.
Cons - Some people say it is not as popular as it was a few years ago but if you love it, that doesn't matter. Harder to open and close the bag.

You must have a purse collection now, is your most used color black? If so then go for black for both.
If your most used color is black and another color, then you could consider buying 1 black and 1 another color.

It's been 20 years since my first Chanel bag. At the beginning I had no interest in classic flaps. I only bought seasonal bags because that is what I loved at that time. I sold them all (lost a lot of money). In the last 5 years, I am crazy for classic flaps. I just bought my first boy bag 1 week ago. I am happy with 1 boy bag and no desire to buy more.
I have over 15 quilted classic flaps in many colors (not a fan of chevron) and mostly with gold or light gold hardware. The only classic flap that has silver hardware is the red one. For some reason I am not a fan of gold with red.

Hope this helps and let us know what you decided on.
If you can buy both I will as Chanel increases their price 2 or 3 times per year. If you buy both, I agree you should not get silver hardware for the classic but if the gold tarnishing bothers you then maybe you should.
None of my gold hardware has tarnished but I am not careless with my bags or take them to the beach around salt water. If they do tarnish you can send it to Leather Surgeons and they can fix that.

Buy what makes you happy.
Hello
Thank you so much for the detailed and thoughtful responses. I have not owned a designer purse before. I did decide on the Chanel double flap gold in black . I love the double flap and it does not bother me at all. I liked that this purse was a little older and the gold is still perfect. I don't plan on taking it anywhere where it can be tarnished and storing it in the box while not in use which hopefully will help. That's great to know on repairs should i ever need them as well. I also decided on the boy in the rhw in black and i do like that the rhw is a little more subtle than the gold and also edgy. I do typically wear black purses. I definitely want a lighter color in the future but worry about color transfer at these prices so went safe with black on my first two and will see how it goes:smile:

It is best to store the bag in the dust bag but not inside the box. If you live in a humid climate then being in the box could result in mold or the leather wrinkling. You should take the bag out of the dust bag from time to time to let it breathe.
I store my bags inside a cabinet with doors (no glass) standing up and don't over stuff your bag as the bottom quilts can deflate. Because I have doors I don't put them inside the dust bag. If I need to take a few bags with me then I put them inside the dust bag while in transit so it doesn't get exposed to the sun so the color doesn't fade.

My favorite bag color is white and ivory. So far no color transfer but I wear them with light colors and no denim.
My light colored bags are minis and smalls so that helps as well.
Classic flap is a great choice. Congrats!

I just purchased my first chanel and went with a jumbo double flap classic in black caviar with gold hardware. the classic flap IMO is more versatile, I had a hard time styling the boy bag in a refined way whereas the jumbo flap I saw both casual and dressed up. That being said, the boy is a bit difficult to get in and out of, and doesnt have the wearing versatility with the strap having that leather piece in it as well. If you havent actually tried them on I highly suggest getting to a boutique and trying the styles on. I was CONVINCED my first chanel would be the medium boy, and that the jumbo double flap was too big and when I actually wore them, it was obvious which the better choice was both for my lifestyle as well as for my frame.