Mean Queen Leona Leaves $12 Million to Pooch, Zilch to Grandkids

My Trusts & Estates prof. talked about this in class the other day. It happens more than most people would think. I would like to say I wouldn't contest the will but $12 million could buy a whooole lot of purses. KWIM.

yeah - there was a stable individual. I can't imagine being so angry with my own children that I could do something like that to them. unless they tried to smother me with a pillow, I can't imagine why anyone would take that kind of hate for their own blood with them to the grave.

To many people (myself included) it's not "blood" that makes you a family and it also doesn't automatically entitle you to anything.

I think the bulk ofher fourtune is going into the Helmsley Charitable Trust, which is huge charity, worth billlions. Yeah, she did have a really mean streak, didn't she?

I've never known anyone to be that mean. Family should be cherished. This is not to say that she had to give her family anything, but her dog over family members? The article says she was upset no one named their children after her late husband. She sounds like she was a miserable person. It's really very sad, especially if this is more common that one would think.

Leona and her late husband amassed their fortune not her children or grandchildren.She could have been the devil reincarnated for all I care,but the fact remains her wealth was hers to dispose of in any manner she chose.

Being born into wealth in no way entitles children,grandchildren or any blood relations to a lifelong free ride.

Leona may have come across as a ***** to many that knew her on a personal level,but the fact remains she was no Dumb ***** !

I hope her will is as tight as Fort Knox is secure so that anyone that attempts to contest it will hit a brick wall.

Regarding her pooch,I'm sure that any remaining funds have already been allocated in her will and will be carried out when the pooch joins her.

Way to go Leona!;)

From the nydailynews.com
amd_helmsley.jpg

The two grandchildren cut out of Leona Helmsley's will can put up a fight, but getting even a cent of her $8 billion fortune will be difficult, experts said yesterday.
"Under New York State law, you don't have an obligation to treat all grandchildren fairly," said Linda Hirschorn, an estate planning attorney with Greenberg Traurig.
Craig and Meegan Panzirer were not given anything by Helmsley "for reasons which are known to them," according to the hotel queen's will.
In the 14-page document, Helmsley gave billions to charity and left $10 million to two other grandchildren, $15 million to her brother and, most notably, $12 million to her tiny dog Trouble.
Helmsley even set up a $3 million trust so her final resting place is kept in mint condition.
The two jilted grandchildren - whose late father, Jay Panzirer, was Helmsley's only son - have had a tumultuous relationship with Helmsley.
The Queen of Mean infamously had their mother, Mimi, evicted from a Helmsley property after Panzirer's 1982 funeral.
If Craig and Meegan Panzirer opt to challenge the will, experts said, they must prove the document was improperly executed, crafted under coercion or signed when Helmsley didn't know what she was doing.
"They are all tough things to prove, but they're certainly possible," said Joshua Rubenstein, a partner with the firm Katten Muchin Rosenman.

Jose Martinez