MC Speedy -- to buy or not to buy?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi all,

I currently have a humble collection of staple LV bags from the Monogram Canvas and Damier Ebene lines and am trying to decide on a future purchase. The MC Speedy is near the top of my list as I've been obsessing/admiring it since 2003 (but could never afford it back then since I was still in school). I just think it's absolutely gorgeous! I love how it can make an outfit pop. Besides the $2300 price tag (which I can get over), I have a few reservations:

1) I'm basically 30 y/o -- do you all think I am too old to be carrying this around? For some stupid reason, I'm concerned about this since it is a trendier line. :weird:
    2) The brassware does come across as "loud" at times. For those of you that own one, do you feel like this when you carry it? It's sort of ironic since the "loudness" is also what I like about it!

I know it shouldn't matter what others think, but I am interested in your opinions. Thanks in advance!

2. I say don't bother. I'm nearly 18 years old and have wanted that bag ever since I saw jessica simpson have it on newlyweds. I'm glad I didn't get it now cause when I think about it, It's too bright with rainbow colours and isn't really classy. I would rather have the azur for a light coloured bag. but that's my opinion, if you have wanted this bag for years now then go for it. but make sure you know you will be happy to use it in your 30s and not all of a sudden think it's too bright and is for people in their late teens/early 20s. good luck :smile:

3. You have always wanted it so I say get it, if you get fed up with it just sell it and buy something else later!

4. Saw this and had to offer my $0.02. :biggrin:

When I first started my LV obsession I too wanted this bag - I purchased something else in MC instead and find I don't carry her now because I find her too bright and young-looking (on me, anyway - I'm 22).

This said though, if you've been thinking about her since 2003 and you still want her now chances are you're not going to fall out of love. I've seen people way older than you rock MC bags (I'm envious! :P) and if you love it, that's the main thing. I say go for it!

5. I don't think the MC bags are ONLY for young people. I've seen many women in their 40s and 50s carry MC speedys and it looks perfect on them. With regards to the 'loudness' of the bag, I don't think it is because the MC speedy has minimal hardware. The Courtney is another story though lol.

6. It's a very heavy bag due to the hardware. I also wanted it for years and every time I visited a boutique I lusted over it. But because it was so heavy I decided against it. I'm so glad I didn't get it. But you are not too old for it. If you love it, get it!! You only live once!!

7. I love the MC line too but I do agree it is a relatively trendy line...I would only wear it with certain outfits and not on an everyday basis. However whether you can rock it or not really depends on your style preference, your wardrobe and your lifestyle, not so much your age I suppose.

8. I think if you think you are too old to carry it, than you are too old to carry it.

I agree with Yikki. Personally, I am 15 years older than you and carry Black MC without reservation! I know a lot of women in their 20s and 30s that Black MC just looks wrong hanging off their arm! On the other hand, I know a lot of women in their 40s and beyond and MC is a perfect fit.

9. if you want it, get it (=

10. I'm not a fan - too loud and not classy to me, but what do I know - I'm 53. If it helps any, my daughters are 25, 23 and 20 and they think it's too loud too. I don't mind MC in very small leather goods like an agenda or cles, but I do think it's really dated for a bag. It's forever linked with Jessica Simpson in the Newlyweds to me. I don't think she even carries it anymore.

11. funny you should start this thread. i broke out my white MC Alma again a few days ago and wore her out and got quite a few compliments so I am back in LVOE with her again. The only thing i will say about the MC speedy is that there seem to be a ton of preloved ones for sale right now, so if you are buying new, i am not sure how it will keep its value as it is a bag people seem to be selling off at the moment. Just my humble opinion..

12. Thanks so much for all the comments, ladies! Please keep them coming -- it really is helping me come to a decision.....

I am in the health field and am relatively conservative, so I usually go for the more traditional LV bags. I'm not sure why I like the white MC speedy so much (opposites attract?) Who knows.

Joyzbag -- I've actually picked up the MC speedy in the LV boutique, and I guess I didn't notice how heavy it was (because I was too busy admiring it!). I was totally gaga for it (and sort of still am) but there's that conservative in me that makes me step back for a second.

It's like the LV angel on my left saying "Get it!" and the devil on my right saying "Are you sure?" Ugh!

13. I don't think you're too old for the line. To me, it's a fun line that (like you mentioned) will give outfits a "pop." Since you've been thinking about it for so long, I think you should go for it!

14. I think it is just a matter of your lifestyle. I am nearly 40 and I really like the MC line. I think it is an expensive line and I just can't understand why LV would intend it for "younger" people only with that pricepoint. Maybe I'm missing something.

I dress very casually and have little need to be conservative, so I like my bags and jewelry to stand out. I almost always wear a solid color shirt and jeans.

I think that every bag collection has room for at least one fun thing!

15. I think you are never too old for anything (within reason that is). It just depends on your personality and your confidence in carrying/wearing something. Personally I prefer MC in smaller doses :biggrin: (On SLGs it's gorgeous!)