maybe others can answer this for me....????????????????/

mustlovecatz

Mar 6, 2008
i hate selling my items auction style, so I do a Buy Noy for VERY reasonable price, always under retail by a lot. I dont always use Ebay to make money but a lot of the times to just sell off my purse that i've never used. Whenever I do Buy Nows with a LOW price NO ONE BUYS IT!!! So i relist it...on a auction style and the auctions ends up going WAYYYY more than what I had it as a Buy Now for....
Why do people do this? :confused1:

Yeah I don't know either.
I had an auction awhile ago that I started at $60 with a BIN for $99 (what I'd seen similar ones sell for), so people decided to bid and it ended up going for $95.
:shrugs:

This happened to me recently... I had an LV inclusion bracelet listed for a BIN of $345 or best offer. I had hoped to get about 275 for it, and got several offers for 250 of which I made counter offers of 275, but got no takers. I relisted it as a regular auction for $225 with a BIN of 275. People chose to bid on it... and it ended at $351!! Go figure...

I think is all about buyers not doing their homework in the item they are buying. I always checked completed lisings, ending soonest and BIN. Most of the time you find a lot of great offers with buy it now.

I think its psychological :idea: I see a BIN and think that will still be there later so I carry on my search and see all the auctions for the same things starting at lower prices, fixate on them and forget the BIN which is likely to end at a lower price. I think I will pay more attention to BIN items now!

I know for me, if I see something with a BIN that looks too good to be true, then I am more wary of the auction being a fake, or having something wrong with it the seller is hiding, etc. So I hesitate to bid. The longer I wait, the less likely I am to buy it.

I agree the higher ending price of regular auctions is psychological. It's easy to get carried away in a last minute bidding war and go higher than you originally intended, because you want to keep the other bidders from winning just as much, if not more, than you actually want it for yourself! Kinda like a five year old who isn't playing with a toy, but the second someone else picks it up, wants to take it from him. It's not nice, but it is human nature!